Prime ex. of why Pally hero power is useless

Or just make it a 1/1 taunt. 1/1 charge + blessings is too OP of a combo imo.
Reply Quote
I'm seeing the same thing over and over and over again. You think a 1/1 minion is threatening at all? Do you think I want to use a +3 attack on the worst possible minion? NO. YOU AVOID IT.

1/1 minions are only a minor threat early game. yeah I can buff it with sword of justice (that cost 5 mana for a 2/2 minion) and ya I can put buffs all over it... but why would I want to?

Most people ignore the 1/1 minion unless it's a convenient use of their hero power to get rid of it and not play a card.

MOST important. Hunter, Mage, Druid-ish, Warrior, Priest... the later game is benefited SO MUCH by their power. Yet when you have 6 mana taunts and 9 mana legendaries on the board. WHO CARES ABOUT A 1/1? It get cleaved, it gets lonely, it's. simply. not. worth. 2. mana.
Edited by Jeepgoesbeep on 6/23/2014 3:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would also say the only time the guy has EVER been useful is if I had one up, had to waste an equality and kill a big guy with it. But once again.. thats 1/100 games. How often does a mage fireball screw your day?
Reply Quote
So I tried to make a game where my little guys would win it for me. This just happened and I ONLY beat the warrior because of alyz and avenging wrath that I drew later on. I'm sure it'll give some more argument for both sides :). Just remember, the warrior was easily able to counter this.

http://i.imgur.com/NX5QxXK.jpg
Reply Quote
Let's face it, all hero powers are a waste of mana. They are used only when you don't have the right cards in your hand. So if you get a Mage or Druid to wipe your 1/1 with their hero power, then you just made an even trade. If your opponent wastes a minion attack on it, then you've avoided a hit to the face and weakened an opponent minion. If they do an AoE, then you've probably baited it and won't have to worry about it later.

If your opponent ignores it, next turn it could be a 4/1 or 5/5.

It's fine, given that if you are using a hero power you are already slightly behind tempo.
Reply Quote
I'm new to the game and even more of a newbie to the class, I also haven't had the chance to play an opponent with a carefully constructed deck yet, but I think the Hero Power works fine as it is, at least in my experience. Coupled with other Paladin cards, such as Blessing of Might or Hand of Protection, the Silver Hand Recruit can quickly help you gain board advantage and even some early fire power. I've also found it of being extremely useful for boosting Frostwolf Warlord in mid-late game situations, or coupled with the likes of Stormwind Commander and Shattered Sun Cleric.

Of course this is coming from a newbie and I have no experience against experienced players, but for newer players, the Hero Ability is quite useful for maintaining board control.
Reply Quote
06/24/2014 07:38 AMPosted by mirth81
Let's face it, all hero powers are a waste of mana. They are used only when you don't have the right cards in your hand. So if you get a Mage or Druid to wipe your 1/1 with their hero power, then you just made an even trade. If your opponent wastes a minion attack on it, then you've avoided a hit to the face and weakened an opponent minion. If they do an AoE, then you've probably baited it and won't have to worry about it later.

If your opponent ignores it, next turn it could be a 4/1 or 5/5.

It's fine, given that if you are using a hero power you are already slightly behind tempo.

Past rank 5 I have never seen anyone use BoK, and only aggro pallys run BoM (Even in which case, they rarely [rarely] use it on their hero power, usually it's on the argent squire).

The assumption is that the hero power is meant to synergize with our buffs.

What buffs?
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 02:45 PMPosted by Idunhavaname
Or just make it a 1/1 taunt. 1/1 charge + blessings is too OP of a combo imo.

What about deadly poison? Blade furry with that combo is more OP than ^^
Reply Quote
I would like to see more minions or spells that somehow protected the recruits. Or a minion that made recruits spawn with charge or DS or even taunt at times.

As it is there is no abilities that the pally has that specifically synergies with their recruits as a package advantage.
Reply Quote
06/24/2014 09:50 AMPosted by iAmE

Past rank 5 I have never seen anyone use BoK, and only aggro pallys run BoM (Even in which case, they rarely [rarely] use it on their hero power, usually it's on the argent squire).

The assumption is that the hero power is meant to synergize with our buffs.

What buffs?

Well, I run aggro pally, lol. But three things: First, even if you don't run pally buffs, your opponent doesn't know that and has to assume you have some. Second, if you are running a control deck you should have a better early game strategy than your hero power, and late game it doesn't matter anyway. And third, I would rather use BoM on an argent squire, too - but if what I have on board is my silver hand, good enough.
Reply Quote
I would like to see more minions or spells that somehow protected the recruits..

Argent Protector protects recruits...
Reply Quote
06/24/2014 12:44 PMPosted by mirth81
I would like to see more minions or spells that somehow protected the recruits..

Argent Protector protects recruits...

Recruit --------------> s <------------------

RecruitS

S<----------------

Something like shadowform that works with the pally power
Reply Quote
The biggest issue with pally hero power is tempo. Our class cards are already terrible value re:board presence, in order to leave a 1/1 minion on the board we have to spend 2 mana. There is not a single situation where this plays out to be better value than playing a good neutral minion with the total mana cost of the combined card + hero power cost. When compared to class minions, the trade value is even worse, especially in the current meta.

RIP control Pallly, hopefully Deathrattle: becomes playable upon release of Naxxramas
Reply Quote
Paladin hero power is fairly balanced as a whole, other broken hero powers doesn't mean it should be buffed to compensate.

It creates some board presence without costing you any cards, effectively hurting decks which rely on lower toughness creatures and makes "dead turns"--which paladins have plenty of unless running aggro--into something which can't be ignored in the long-term or can be used to set enemy health where you want it.

Yes, other hero powers "counter" it. That means very little unless you're a druid. Rogues trade health for it, Mages trade their fairly effective early game tempo, etc. Druids tend to be the only ones who benefit due to Paladin and Druid being both mid-range / late-game and having very little early.
Edited by David on 6/24/2014 4:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The hero power is actually quite good, but only if playing against the classes that don't have a hero power that can deal one damage.

Against the classes whose hero powers DO deal one damage... the paladin hero power simply doesn't exist, especially with the lopsided design of this game favoring playing tons and tons of low cost cards.

I can't say what it needs, but it needs something.
Reply Quote
Best thing they could do for the paladin power without making it OP would just be to buff the Recruits to a 1/2. Would really help keep them on the board for a turn so you can attack with them or buff them if they're not dying to Mage/Druid Hero powers or being collateral casualties to druid/rogue/mage early-aoes the same turn they're played.

If for some reason that's unacceptable, then they could add in new Paladin cards that would buff your hero power (as with Shadowform) to a 2/2 or a 3/3.
Edited by Valraan on 6/26/2014 1:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There is a way to buff our hero power, it is called Sword of Justice. And I actualy love the hero power of the paladin. I play a token deck in magic as my main in modern so I'm use to throwing out 1-1's to bait out removal. Best feeling in the world when you make someone use a flame strike on something like a 2-3 and 4 1-1's. Or even getting a swipe out of the way to make sure your azure drake stays alive is awesome.
Reply Quote
06/26/2014 12:31 AMPosted by ShadowMaster
The hero power is actually quite good, but only if playing against the classes that don't have a hero power that can deal one damage.

Against the classes whose hero powers DO deal one damage... the paladin hero power simply doesn't exist, especially with the lopsided design of this game favoring playing tons and tons of low cost cards.

I can't say what it needs, but it needs something.

but also against warriors, where every 1/1 you play is basically one armor for them, or 1 draw card, or 1 more attack for a frothing beserker.

but also against priest where every 1/1 you play is basically a card they get to draw with cleric.

Paladin has no cards as of yet that monopolize on how easy it is to kill weenies- yet there are several other class cards that benefit from taking out a 1/1. It would have been nice has the Naxx card been something like "3 mana: fill your board with 1/1 recruits that have died this game and give them charge"- this way it actually adds some punishment to them just being chipped off for the opponent's benefit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]