Prime ex. of why Pally hero power is useless

06/13/2014 01:12 PMPosted by Genesis
Just make it a 1/2 or something.

1/1 makes it too vulernable

This is probably the best idea because it doesn't make the hero power too valuable. I think a 1/2 recruit feels fair, is on theme and doesn't break much, just saves the recruits from being slaughtered by mages and druids every turn.
Reply Quote
It would also allow the use of a Blessing of Kings on a recruit to actually be worth something.

Currently, it only brings the recruit up to five health, which is too easy to remove at turn four or beyond.
Reply Quote
06/26/2014 03:44 PMPosted by WeirdBeard
06/13/2014 01:12 PMPosted by Genesis
Just make it a 1/2 or something.

1/1 makes it too vulernable

This is probably the best idea because it doesn't make the hero power too valuable. I think a 1/2 recruit feels fair, is on theme and doesn't break much, just saves the recruits from being slaughtered by mages and druids every turn.

So mage/druid would not only have to spend 4 mana over the course of two turns to kill your 2 mana guy, but they would also end up taking a point of damage in the process as well? How does that sound even remotely balanced to you?
Reply Quote
06/26/2014 09:41 PMPosted by Ixa
06/26/2014 03:44 PMPosted by WeirdBeard

So mage/druid would not only have to spend 4 mana over the course of two turns to kill your 2 mana guy, but they would also end up taking a point of damage in the process as well? How does that sound even remotely balanced to you?

No, they'd have to trade with the recruit, like any other class that doesn't have a damaging hero power.

The suggestion only includes buffing health to 2, not damage.
Reply Quote
Here is the true problem is against the classes that have hero power damage abilities.

If you got something to one life left and you want to use a recruit to kill it they will never get a swing though.

They will be constantly pinged or stabbed. So that 4/1 guy keeps beating on you.. you play a card with more health they play a card to kill it and so that 4/1 guy keeps beating you down.

They are reusable but pretty much the only classes you can do that to are warriors, priests. Of course priests plays miss 1/3 and laughs at you. Warriors heres my 1/4 armor guy or 2/4 ooh 1/1's to ram into

You cant play the bring back a card back to life with those stupid 1/1's

I think it would be great if it was like give a minion +1 Health. Sounds very protective.

This way the paly could help protect and guard against the ping classes on smaller minions, and they would only get pinged as finishers.
Edited by Merboy on 6/27/2014 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What does that screenshot have to do with the hero power being useless?
Reply Quote
I am definitely no expert at Hearthstone, but I have a good grasp of it I feel--I've been playing for about a month now.

I honestly do not have much trouble with the Paladin hero ability. I love it, actually.

It works so well with Knife Juggler and fooling an unaware opponent that next turn you can put Blessing of Kings on it and have a quick 5/5 minion without using a single minion card. The hero power also works very will with Frostwolf Warlord and Stormwind Champion.

I am sure someone has already mentioned this somewhere in here and that is, the Paladin hero power is not very obvious like fireblast or steady shot.

I agree that by itself it is an inferior hero power, however, the Paladin has more potential options with it which rectifies its weakness--if that makes sense.
Reply Quote
buff recruit to 1/2 would becomes op compare to other heroes power.
Reply Quote
06/28/2014 10:42 AMPosted by Cyrus
buff recruit to 1/2 would becomes op compare to other heroes power.

So maybe a good hero power can make up for bad removal, card draw, class minions, spells, aaaaannnd just about everything else Paladin has because 90% of is useless crap?
Reply Quote
06/13/2014 08:46 AMPosted by Karasuko
Once again people are looking at things in a void.
If one recruit is on the field for 10 turns how much damage does it do at how much cost?
Can you buff steadyshot/fireblast?
Can you rely on the right totem?
Is there any situations where heals are useless?
While it's a boring and unimaginitive hero power it's not that bad.

1 Recruit has never been on the field for 10 turns, ever.
Reply Quote
06/13/2014 11:14 AMPosted by kidofcrash
The hero power needs charge.

Great idea
Now you never have any problems anymore with not having a usefull minion that you can buf
Just summon a recruit, blessing of kings, and boom. A 5/5 charge.

Ballance
Reply Quote
I think 1/2 is a fair change. As it stands, it by far is the worst hero power. Too slow, too little for the cost and is hard-countered by three classes right out of the gate.
Reply Quote
Giving them extra health or charge or stealth or shield ( even till the end of the turn ) will make the Paladin aggro deck too powerful. I suppose recruits can be summoned with +1 spell power. This will make paladin spells much more effective and will force the opponent to deal with those little guys. The other option is to make them 2/1 but this will have again a huge affect on paladin aggro decks. My opinion is that control Paladin decks suffer more because of the cards they have not the hero power. I mean Aldor, Argent Protector, Lay on Hands, Sword of Justice ect. sound perfect but they are all very occasional cards.
For example you do not want to play vanilla Aldor or Argent protector or even Guardian of Kings if you like.
One thing that could improve control Paladin performance to my opinion is a small change to Avanging Wrath card. It should still do 8 damage randomly split among all enemy characters but it should hit first all minions on the board and after there are none left it should start hitting enemy hero. This will make it much more valuable against all kind of stealth units and druid's healthy creatures.
Edited by Flint on 7/1/2014 4:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Make it 1/2 recruits would be very fun.

Some might say, then druids and mages need to hero power twice to kill it..

Thats true, but mages and druids can use their hero power to immediatelly remove a divine shield or kill a 1 hp minion, paladin hero power can't.

another fun idea for pala hero power i had was:

Give a random buff to a minion of your choice (+1 attack or +1 hp or divine shield), if no friendly minion on the board, summon a 1/1.

But just making or recruits having 2 hp would help paladin a lot.
Reply Quote
06/30/2014 04:52 AMPosted by Sirrobert

Great idea
Now you never have any problems anymore with not having a usefull minion that you can buf
Just summon a recruit, blessing of kings, and boom. A 5/5 charge.

Ballance

Considering Druid gets a 4/4 charge or 4/6 taunt for 5 mana and 1 card, ya I'd say it's quite balanced compared to a 5/5 charge for 6 mana, 1 card, and 1 hero power.
Reply Quote
I like how everyone's rebuttal to it being bad is that if it's left alone it can do infinite damage. Because people just leave stuff alone, right? There totally aren't 1,000,001 ways to get rid of it and it come out ahead.

Here's the thing. Druid's may only be and never be more than 1 damage by itself. Mage's may only be and never be more than 1 damage by itself. Rogues may never be more than 2 damage over two turns by itself (unless it's destroyed). But they will ALWAYS be those things. A silver hand recruit could be 0 damage and a lot of the time it is. It does nothing the turn it comes out, and it's synergy is very lackluster.

Mage, Rogue, Hunter = immediate damage
Druid = immediate damage and survivability
Warrior = immediate survivability that synergises with a removal
Priest = immediate survivability and a lot of the time card draw
Warlock = immediate card draw
Pally = one turn delayed damage that can be removed before it does anything and buffing it is asking to get 2 for 1'd.
Reply Quote
Okay This is how the power should work.
Summon a 1/1 recruit with charge. This minion cannot be targeted by spells. BAM. hero powers still effect it.
Edited by RizzRack on 7/2/2014 1:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My main problem with them is that they can be a huge drawback in certain circumstances. Unleash the hounds, frothing berserker, northshire cleric are all 100 times more dangerous vs a paladin all because of the hero power.
Reply Quote
The problem with the power is it isn't balanced. Mage and Druid powers easily negate the paladin power. This is even more so important than in Arena. The paladin ability was supposed to be used to overwhelm your opponent with an army of 1/1s. When outside of blessing of kings, does a 1/1 stay on the board for longer then a couple turns? It gets wiped by any aoe.

The biggest issue I have is mage's ability instantly nullifies our ability. sure you might get to have a 1/1 for a turn, while he kills something else larger or does something with his mana. And sometimes he doesn't even need to use his ability, but can use CoC or arcane explosion or any other aoe to kill it.

The ability is very limited, and only works against heroes that can't counter. Make it a 1/2 and nerf kings to only add +4/+3. Hero ability can't kill it outright anymore, and it's still very killable and your opponent has to account for it now.
Reply Quote
Well, I can't tell you how many times, the enemy summoned a beef monster (Most of Legendaries such as Ragnaros or Giants) and I think that I completely lost THEN THE HERO 1/1 SQUIRE SAVES THE DAY; Give him a BoM and BoTK and he kills the enemy monster (which is probably legendary), make it better that you summon an Argent Protector and you simply killed his guy and left a 8/5 monster on the ground + a 2/2 monster; and yes its not as strong as mage removal spells but we are not mages, don't compare their removals to ours.

Think of it this way, if it dies then you forced him to waste 2 mana and his hero power so your guy tanked 1 damage and if he doesn't then it can be buffed and used as a removal spell or can make good trades (*coughs* Stormwind Champion).

The hero power relies on the deck to be good, I personally put a 1x Frostwolf Warlod and a 1x Sea Giant in my deck, your hero power gives a 1/1 to the Frostwolf Warlod for 2 mana AND it leaves a 1/1 monster on the ground which is completely nice for 2 mana; whilst the sea giant can be summoned cheaply when both of the Paladin and the enemy has several monsters on the ground which is aided by the 1/1 squires.

Lets put it in another example, you had the game you had many minnions on the ground THEN DEATHWING COMES BOOOOM [imagine the sound effects with me <3] you are like COME ON and you can't kill him so you summon a 1/1 squire and he wont waste his nice 12 damage on a 1/1 squire lol so he attacks you THEN YOU USE EQUALITY BABE and that 1/1 poor squire dies to save your butt and kills the Deathwing; sadly it took a whole turn to get that deathwing down but not The rogue/druid hero would kill the guy if he attempted to kill the 12-1 Deathwing; not a single hero ability could have done better except for a lucky shaman who got the 1/1 totem or the mage (which is all about removals and damage)

Another example of how good is it is when I can clear the board (vs rush decks at turn 4) with consecration but there is that single monster that has 3 HP, NP the 1/1 hero squire on the way to save the day babe and he kills the guy. or When I do a 3 damage using the hammer of wrath then use the squire to finish that 4 HP minion off; or DAT MOMMENT WHEN RAGNAROS GET SUMMONED ON MANA 8 THEN HIS FIREBALL HITS THE 1/1 SQUIRE LOL.

Many times, the 1/1 recruit gets ignored and I am about to die then all of a sudden, I buff that poor 1/1 and just go smack the guy in his face, kick his !@# and win the game :D.

To sum it up: If we look at the hero power only its not good but it does synergize well with the Paladin deck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]