My Legend Rank Midrange-Control Paladin

Here is my in-depth video explanation and game play at legend ranks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVya_P1hkI

I recently hit legend, swapping between ramp druid and my paladin deck. Proof: http://postimg.org/image/xg5s5wped/

Deck List:
2 – Equality
2 – Argent Protector
2 – Faerie Dragon
1 – Sword of Justice
2 – Aldor Peacekeeper
1 – Big Game Hunter
1 – Blood Knight
2 – Harvest Golem
2 – Truesilver Champion
2 – Chillwind Yeti
1 – Twilight Drake
2 – Azure Drake
1 – Stampeding Kodo
1 – Avenging Wrath
2 – Argent Commander
1 – Cairne Bloodhoof
1 – Black Knight
2 – Guardian of Kings
1 – Ragnaros the Firelord
1 – Tirion Fordring

If you are looking for a paladin deck to run, this is the one!

I’ve spent many hours tweaking, practicing, and improving the build of this deck. My pally control performs highly well against popular decks like, Handlock, Miracle, Ramp and Token Druid. Weaknesses in the deck consist around rush decks, in which I was only able to win around 1/5th of the time. Zoo and rush decks have taken a back seat lately to more popular decks like the ones previously named, so there is no better time to run this type of build. If you are wondering why there is no consecration, I explain it pretty thoroughly in my video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVya_P1hkI).

Let me know what you think! Thanks for reading/watching.
Reply Quote
Added your battletag. Watched the video and have a few questions.
Reply Quote
Do you find the Azure Drakes are enough card draw? Seems like you would be top-decking a lot with this deck (which is a position I hate being in).

Also, the higher ranks might have less rush decks, but they are everywhere at the lower ranks, so carrying Consecrations is probably a good idea.
Edited by Kris on 6/14/2014 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2014 10:13 AMPosted by Kris
Do you find the Azure Drakes are enough card draw? Seems like you would be top-decking a lot with this deck (which is a position I hate being in).

Also, the higher ranks might have less rush decks, but they are everywhere at the lower ranks, so carrying Consecrations is probably a good idea.

Hey there, thanks for the comment! The deck doesn't have strong card draw you are right, but unfortunately that is the life of the paladin class right now. The deck relies on getting the most value out of each card. Consecrations can be thrown in vs. Zoo, but sadly it won't give you good win percentage vs them. After testing for a while, there is no good response for paladin control vs zoo, if you cut too many cards for that matchup, you start losing to Druid, handlocks, etc.
Reply Quote
This thread is a bit misleading. This isn't a legendary paladin deck. I believe he posted this on reddit and admitted to only using this deck 9 times between 5-1 and didn't use paladin exclusively.
Reply Quote
06/14/2014 02:40 PMPosted by kidofcrash
This thread is a bit misleading. This isn't a legendary paladin deck. I believe he posted this on reddit and admitted to only using this deck 9 times between 5-1 and didn't use paladin exclusively.

I used multiple decks to legend. I fail to see how it wouldn't be considered legend worthy, when it is played at legend ranks currently, was played against legend players extensively via duels (hours and hours), and was one of the reasons I hit legend this season. If you doubt it, by all means try it and tell me what you think. I can't be more honest than I have been, the deck sucks vs. Zoo, everything else it has the advantage on. Zoo is in and out of the meta lately and will likely continue to decrease making this deck more and more viable.
Edited by Lawrencejame on 6/14/2014 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What's your reason for not using Wild Pyromancer? I personally really like Pyro+Equality combos for board clear/removal. Your thoughts?
Reply Quote
The reason why it isn't a legendary deck because you didn't get to legendary with it.

When you use this deck 9 times from ranked 5-1, it really isn't a legendary deck because again, you didnt get to legendary with it.

Yes, you may be able to beat legendary players while you are legendary ranked with ramp druid getting you there, but you with the right draw you can win against anyone.

This is a major difference from the likes of zilea or koyuki who grinded from the start all the way to legend with paladin. They consistently change their decks yes, but the basis of the deck usually remains intact.

With your deck, you hardly used it to actually reach legendary, when somebody labels their deck legendary, that usually means that was their primary deck or even exclusive deck/class to get to legendary. Not get to legendary and have a deck competitive when you are in legendary already or use it sparingly ranked 5-1 and occasionally beat a legendary player.

That is the big difference.
Reply Quote
Your deck has 10 1-ofs. That's a LOT of inconsistency.

I agree with what kidofcrash is saying too. I have my own midrange Paladin that I've gotten to 4 with so far, but I've been grinding with it exclusively. 9 times isn't even half of the minimum wins it requires to go from 5 to legend.
Reply Quote
4 X legend, highest rank 25 legend end of preseason 4 here.

I have played your previous 2 paladin decks (the budget control, and the aggro pally), and found them both great. I have tried this deck and it is indeed very good. I don't know why you think this deck has no chance against zoo. I think it definitely isn't favoured in that matchup but not impossible to win. I do agree though this deck is extremely good against both miracle rogue and handlock.

Great deck, and never thought to not include consecrate before in a paladin deck but I definitely think you have something there. I have also tried the deck taking out one of the argent commanders in favour of a 2nd avenging wrath and found some success with it as well.

Don't listen to all the hate posts. Your videos are informative and your decks are generally very well made, keep it up. What I think some of these above posters don't understand, is that once you are at legend it is not like all of a sudden you face new players again, rather you continue to face players generally ranked 3 or better every match, so if a deck does well at legend it will do well from ranks 5-1, seeing as basically the players you play once you are at legend are basically using the exact same decks as those climbing from ranks 5 to 1, but are slightly better at playing them. People who think otherwise, are either lying to themselves or simply haven't been there to know.
Edited by Fear on 6/20/2014 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi there,

after hitting 500 wins on my priest, I decided to give the paladin a shot. Since I am free to play, I lack the really good class cards.

Made a deck inspired by your ideas and went on a win streak up to rank 4. However, I lost a couple of games and am now bouncing between 4 and 7.

Particularly hard to beat for me are miracle and zoo decks. I switched some stuff around, but ain't satisfied for now:

1 Light's Justice (formerly Blessing of Wisdom)
2 Blessing of Might
2 Equality
2 Argent Protector
2 Farie Dragon
2 Knife Juggler
2 Aldor Peacekeeper
1 Big Game Hunter
2 Harvest Golem
1 Mind Control Tech
2 True Silver Champion
1 Blessing of Kings
1 Concecration
2 Chillwind Yeti
1 Spiteful Smith (formerly Azure Drake)
1 Stampeding Kodo
2 Argent Commander
1 Cairne Bloodhoof
1 Guardian of Kings
1 Lay on Hands (formerly Azure Drake)

I have like a 80% winrate or something against token and ramp druid, so I'm happy the ladder is full of them.

I don't have Avenging Wrath, nor Sword of Justice. Anyting that I should change? What do you guys think?

thanks in advance,
TiH
Edited by TiH on 6/22/2014 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Any suggestions for an alt. to BGH. Or do I need to break down buy a few packs and craft it
Reply Quote
I recommend the below deck. It is great against most mid range, and control decks but weak against aggro decks which should be fine in the current meta at ranks 5 and higher. I tried it myself and it does seem quite effective so give it a shot.

Deck: http://postimg.org/image/xg5s5wped/
Vid about deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVya_P1hkI

Source: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13139194020
Edited by Fear on 6/25/2014 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]