Is it possible to kill through IceBlock?

The secret that makes a mage immune at lethal damage.

I can't remember where but I think I read something that it is possible to bypass this secret with some unique damage types that don't trigger it.

Stuff that comes to mind is:
- Leper gnome deathrattle
- Nightblade's "hero damage" battlecry
- Non spell aoe like baron geddon or abomination

Not sure if any of these work. Is there some way around it? (other than flare)
Reply Quote
I think the only thing that bypasses this is exhaustion from having no cards. As it's damage dealt to yourself.
Reply Quote
fatigue damage does not trigger it.
Reply Quote
06/15/2014 01:07 PMPosted by Pzypro
I can't remember where but I think I read something that it is possible to bypass this secret with some unique damage types that don't trigger it.

False.

Secrets do not trigger on one's own turn. Therefore, to "bypass" Ice Block you need the Mage to take damage during the Mage's own turn.

The best way to deal with a Mage with Ice Block is to reduce its health as close to Lethal as possible before delivering the killing blow.
Reply Quote
There is a way to kill through ice block., some player has lorewalker cho, the mage plays ice block, giving the opposing player (who is a warlock) ice block. The warlock sac. pacts a demon, giving the mage a sac. pack. The warlock then plays jarraxus, and the mage's next turn, sac's jaraxxus
Reply Quote
Outside of fatigue, only Hunter can do it, either by Flare, Explosive Trap or Misdirection. Eye for an Eye would also work, but it is godawful in every other circumstance.
Reply Quote
A taunted Leper Gnome would work if they don't have silence :)
Reply Quote
In my experience in miracle rogue....
If my opponent has ice block up, 4 cards left in his deck, and is conditionally at 1 health.....
I double cold light oracle (shadowstep)
Into leeroy to proc the ice block on my turn....
He has no cards left in his deck; I end my turn, as a result, I win as the miracle rogue to him taking fatigue damage...

Point is if you can proc the iceblock your turn... then you can fatigue your opponent so he dies on his/her turn! :D Hoped that helped....

Or there is always flare.

To get around ice block requires a very specific situation as stated above ^
Edited by TheRtsRanger on 6/17/2014 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 08:36 AMPosted by TheRtsRanger
Point is if you can proc the iceblock your turn... then you can fatigue your opponent so he dies on his/her turn! :D Hoped that helped....

Strictly speaking there's no need to do this. Because secrets aren't active on the Mage's turn, Ice Block won't prevent a fatigue death. If the Mage is out of cards, all you need to do is lower the Mage's HP into fatigue range and she'll die whether you proc Ice Block or not.

The only way Ice Block would stop fatigue is if it occurs on the opponent's turn (via Loot Hoarder, Acolyte of Pain, or Coldlight Oracle), but even then the Mage would simply die from fatigue on her turn anyway.
Edited by Firemane on 6/17/2014 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Non targeted damage like Abomination's deathrattle, any AoE, etc, do trigger Ice Block, so the only way to bypass it is force your opponent to receive damage on his own turn. Explosive Trap, Misdirection(if lucky or empty board but 1 minion attacking) and Eye for an Eye as far as secrets go, fatigue damage if out of cards and otherwise just bad plays like killing a Leper Gnome/Abomination on your own turn as the Mage. So yes, it's a very annoying card that can't really get bypassed like most other secrets, but all it does is buy the Mage an extra turn, due to foresight of you knowing the Mage has it(after ruling all the other reasonable secrets out) you can plan your turns ahead of time to deal with it, just like you would do with other problematic cards of various classes.
Reply Quote
Secrets can only trigger on the opponents turn.

So if the mage is foolish enough to kill a leper gnome on his turn, it's game over.

Basically, you can't deal the damage on your turn. It has to be dealt on his.
Reply Quote
Lots of interesting responses; thanks!. Looks like there are quite a few ways to force the mage to take damage on his turn - none of them are too reliable but looks like it's possible indeed if you happen to have the right cards in hand. I like the taunted leper gnome trick! :P
Reply Quote
Wouldn't a hunters game power get around the trap too. I mean if at 2 hps on his turn.
Reply Quote
06/20/2014 05:07 AMPosted by Sharard
Wouldn't a hunters game power get around the trap too. I mean if at 2 hps on his turn.

No. Steady Shot can only occur on the Hunter's turn, which means a Mage opponent's Ice Block would be active.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]