Last 24 Decks at Dreamhack. 3 Warlock. 0 Zoo.

As per title.

I would imagine that with this lineup the nerf-callers won't be getting a nerf anytime soon.
Reply Quote
So you think your anecdote from Dreamhack decides what's good for the further development of this game? No top players want to play zoo in a cup because it's embarrassing and predicable in that kind format. You can't compare it to laddering.
Reply Quote
Why is it embarrassing?

If the deck was OP, it would be played by everyone. That's how competitions work.

There is a difference between cup and ladder because of the best of 3 format, but you'd still have the best deck in your options.
Reply Quote
Tournament is so much different then playing ladder,

In tournament you only need one aggro deck in your 3, most people still choose hunter because of handlock's prominence as a control deck.

Hunter has a much better win rate against handlock than zoo since it has so much more removal and can still bounce back after aoe.

Plus hunter is usually the hard counter to miracle rouge, and plays good against mid range shaman. This gives it more favorable match ups than zoo.

Also, most of the control decks ran at these tournaments have easy access to aoe damage, something zoo usually cannot handle.

Since you would usually never open the set of 3 with zoo (since the aggro deck is normally used to counter decks), that means that if you lose game 1 then pick zoo you have to go 2-0. This is hard to do since zoo is a pretty easy deck to counter game 3. As a result you will commonly be forced to only have one option for game 2 if you lose game 1, that will be whatever you happen to have as your other deck.

So unless you other deck is hunter, and 2 aggro decks is usually not a good idea.., losing to someone opening miracle rouge (which many people do) with one deck being zoo can easily set you up to lose another game.

TL;DR: Zoo is good for ladder ranking but can't hold its own in a tournament
Reply Quote
Also, most of the control decks ran at these tournaments have easy access to aoe damage, something zoo usually cannot handle.

However people still want zoo nerfed.. hence the post.

I got within one game of rank 5 last night and have played 10 control decks in 11 matches since. Zoo is balanced because of this possibity. You don't need a hard counter to the deck, you just need to play the game well. I'm not a terrible player, I'm above 50% in mirror matches. I'm not a good player either by the way, just mediocre and improving.

At lower ranks beating control is easy as people make so many bad errors. At this level it's much tougher and from the thread made yesterday it seems it gets harder not easier.

If zoo was nerfed then the meta would be very tedious indeed, at least IMO. There would also be far fewer players of the game as it's an accessible introduction to the game. The game is good because you need to keep changing to adapt to the meta. If zoo was the best aggro deck and could win against every single other deck (80-20 against everything has been quoted more than once on here) then the pros would play it in their set.

I agree with you that it's better for ladder, but it's not dominant or it WOULD be played in all formats.
Reply Quote
06/16/2014 09:00 AMPosted by Lorinda
I got within one game of rank 5 last night and have played 10 control decks in 11 matches since. Zoo is balanced because of this possibity. You don't need a hard counter to the deck, you just need to play the game well. I'm not a terrible player, I'm above 50% in mirror matches. I'm not a good player either by the way, just mediocre and improving.

I never said zoo wasn't balanced, just being able to beat it by playing well is another reason that it is not that great in tournament.

Personally I don't think zoo needs a nerf. The only thing I could see doing is making discard mandatory, but even that would hurt more warlocks in general, with the bad class cards they currently have that would just make them even more dependent on the hero power.
Reply Quote
Cool, we're probably at crossed lines then as I think we're in agreement.

My post was really aimed at those who say that zoo/warlock power is broken as that seems to be the daily noise in the quest to actually learn something about the decks.

I'm newish to HS (Lifelong strong MTGer) but have taken in a lot of info and it's clear that very little, if anything, currently needs nerfing and the game is surprisingly well balanced. I'm not trying to defend "my" hero as I see the game as a game of nine heros, and over time I hope to play them all when it makes sense to do so.
Reply Quote
06/16/2014 09:29 AMPosted by Lorinda
My post was really aimed at those who say that zoo/warlock power is broken as that seems to be the daily noise in the quest to actually learn something about the decks.

Ah ok, I thought you just didn't understand why there was no zoo there

06/16/2014 09:29 AMPosted by Lorinda
Cool, we're probably at crossed lines then as I think we're in agreement.

I agree
Reply Quote
most of the top players use miracle rogue, zoo gets beat by miracle, handlock beats miracle. easy choice for warlock deck.
That's why.
Reply Quote
You're right, they were all using Miracle and Handlock, BOTH which trump Zoo.

That doesn't make Zoo ANY less OP because of that. People seem to not want to factor in the fact that Zoolock costs NOTHING and Handlock costs 7k+ dust. Huge difference in balance all around, and it's literally laughable at this point that people say otherwise.
Reply Quote
06/17/2014 05:42 PMPosted by NapalmBrain
You're right, they were all using Miracle and Handlock, BOTH which trump Zoo.

That doesn't make Zoo ANY less OP because of that. People seem to not want to factor in the fact that Zoolock costs NOTHING and Handlock costs 7k+ dust. Huge difference in balance all around, and it's literally laughable at this point that people say otherwise.

Dust cost shouldn't factor into it at all. If anything, it should be a GOOD thing that there is a cheap but effective deck for newer players.

It's somewhat hilarious how you see both so many "NERF ZOO" threads along with "THIS GAME IS P2W".
Reply Quote
People are finally realizing what I knew all along. Zoo can be countered and isn't nearly as OP as people cry that it is. Miracle rogue is much harder to counter.
Reply Quote
Zoo is a good deck. Not OP, but good. I feel as tho the people complaining about it being OP don't really know Hearthstone.

Im not trying to insult anyone, it's just that some people can play the game a lot but still not learn how to play well and consider themselves pundits or authorities.
Reply Quote
maybe nobody wanna looks like mongo...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]