Thrall Smash! (Weapon-focused deck)

Here's something I've been trying out for couple days:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/63165-thrall-smash

I tried to combine Shaman's wide array of spells with Shaman's limited (albeit not bad) selection of weapons and see how it turns out. I've had fun with this deck, so I thought I might as well share this.

Before anyone asks, I haven't tried laddering with this deck. It's simply just something I threw together for fun, if it works out then all the better :)

EDIT 20.6.2014:
Made a slightly altered version of the deck, little more expensive but alleviates some of original deck's shortcomings.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/65150-thrall-smash-v-2
Edited by ÄmJii on 6/20/2014 7:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why only one Umbound Elemental? All the weapons Overload.
Reply Quote
Based on my experience, through most matches only 1 Unbound Elemental tends to get buffed while the other UE sits near bottom of the deck (after I've drawn & used Overload -cards). I've had better success with 1x Unbound & 1x Harvest Golem than 2x Unbound.

Or maybe I've just been having terrible luck with card draws.
Reply Quote
That reasoning really makes no sense.

Having two copies statistically will increase the chance of you drawing Unbound. Removing one copy does not make the remaining copy magically floats to the top of your deck.
Edited by TheOak on 6/13/2014 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
After some reconsidering, I decided to swap out Acolyte of Pain for Mana Tide and Auctioneer for 2nd Unbound Elemental.

After all, if 1/3rd of deck is Overload there's fairly good chances to get buffed Unbound Elementals.
Reply Quote
Gave you an upvote amjii for being creative, id be interested to know if you ever get the spiteful smith to work out^^
Reply Quote
I was considering building a deck like this very recently, I fell in love with the idea of a spiteful smithed doomhammer. Never went through with it though, glad to see someone else had more faith than I did.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all your feedback! I'll keep experimenting with this deck and let you know how it performs.

06/13/2014 03:40 PMPosted by LightForge
Go for it, but I'd remove a pyromancer and Forked Lightning for 2 Argent Commanders or other Charge minions. You can also go for another Lava Burst just for damage instead of minions.

Edit: Sorry forgot to say why, having 2 pyromancers seems a bit excessive and Forked Lightning because of the 2 overload.

Like I said before, feel free to tweak it according to your playstyle. This is experimental deck more than anything, I'm pretty sure I'll make changes as I go along. Forked Lightning is bit of an experimental card, but if you treat it as double Lightning Bolt (when Spell Power -boosted or Wild Pyro'd) it starts looking more lucrative.

Reason I picked 2 Wild Pyros as opposed to, say, Kobold Geomancer or Thalnos, is extra synergy with spells (explained in Hearthpwn deck description): When paired with Stormforged Axe, Wild Pyro + any spell is usually enough to carry me through early game even against aggro.
Most importantly, Wild Pyro's effect is one of the easier ways to enrage Spiteful Smith (Wild Pyro + Rockbiter -> Spiteful Smith takes 1 Damage and nets +2 Atk for Doomhammer on top of Rockbiter), which I sorta consider as one of my win conditions.
Still, if you find 2 Pyros excessive, tweak your deck accordingly.

I'm bit hesitant to add more 6+ Mana minions, with Shaman's card draw & Overload I'm not comfortable stacking too many expensive minions in my deck (I tried Auctioneer and got mixed results, decided to go with Azure Drakes due to consistency and Spell Power -boost).
If I were to swap one Pyro, I'd probably try Arcane Golem (cheap 4/2 Charge), Sunfury Protector (for added Taunts) or Lava Burst... maybe Thalnos, but I'd debate whether card draw Deathrattle is better than "Whirlwind after any spell" or not.
Reply Quote
Hey man! Thanks for making this deck. I was just actually thinking about such an idea yesterday, so thanks for having the creativity to try it out.

Perhaps 2 Donghammer would be a good idea, since this is the win condition? And maybe even 2 smith.

Cheers
Farq
Reply Quote
06/14/2014 04:16 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
Hey man! Thanks for making this deck. I was just actually thinking about such an idea yesterday, so thanks for having the creativity to try it out.

Perhaps 2 Donghammer would be a good idea, since this is the win condition? And maybe even 2 smith.

Cheers
Farq

Sure, you can try running 2 Hammers and 2 Spiteful Smiths, but the question is what would you cut out to make room for them? And do you really get that much use out of 2nd Doomhammer?

- Azure Drakes are too good to pass up
- Violet Teachers have plenty of synergy
- Unbound Elementals are no-brainer with so many Overload -cards
- Fire Elementals are... well, Fire Elementals.
After all, Doomhammer isn't your only win condition, Spell Power -boosted Lightning Bolts & Lava Burst are perfectly fine finishers too (in case you don't end up using them as minion removals).

If I were to fit Hammers & Smiths I'd consider Wild Pyromancer, Forked Lightning, 1x Violet Teacher or Stormforged Axe. Removing these would weaken early game, but Doomhammer + Smith really isn't early game win condition either.
I only have 1 Doomhammer, so I can't try 2x Hammers but if it's your cup of tea then go for it!

Anyways, glad to hear you found my deck list useful :)
Reply Quote
Still haven't played a lot in Ranked, at the moment I've had 4 matches which went 3-1 (one loss being vs Freeze Mage IIRC, opened with Mana Wyrm + Coin + Mirror Image... ba$tard) and currently sitting at Rank 15.

So far it seems to hold up pretty well, I dropped Mana Tide in favor of Gnomish Inventor/Sunfury Protector/Thalnos (still haven't decided between these cards) and 1x Rockbiter -> 1x Lava Burst for better minion removal. At the moment I find Spiteful Smith being good enough "Yeti + Rockbiter" card by itself, usually by the time I've drawn both Doomhammer + Rockbiter I'm already either winning the game or fallen behind too much to recover.

Anyone else tried deck yet?
Feedback, criticism?
Reply Quote
I just saw this deck and logged in at work to say "This is pretty cool!"

This pretty cool!

I think a second Doomhammer would be really clutch; you'll want 2 in case you get Oozed anyway.

Have you considered any Captain's Parrot/Greenskin angle?
Reply Quote
I tried this with Greenskin, it only triggered properly in 1 out of 6 games, sure was fun for the laugh factor but not at all reliable :)
Reply Quote
06/19/2014 06:14 AMPosted by Sinis
I just saw this deck and logged in at work to say "This is pretty cool!"

This pretty cool!

I think a second Doomhammer would be really clutch; you'll want 2 in case you get Oozed anyway.

Have you considered any Captain's Parrot/Greenskin angle?

Hey man, glad to hear you liked the deck :)

I don't have Captain Greenskin, but I think I'd rather take 2nd Spiteful Smith anway. Difference between 4 Health and 6 Health is huge, and considering that you'll have to draw & play Greenskin while you have Doomhammer readied can prove problematic.
Spiteful Smith effect stays active (assuming she doesn't get killed/silenced) multiple turns, which makes it more forgiving/less situational than Greenskin.

I guess you can make Greenskin viable, but that'd take big changes in your deck. You can try running 2x Doomhammer, but based on what I've seen so far I don't think 2nd Doomhammer contributes much.
Reply Quote
Made few changes to my deck, current decklist here:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/65150-thrall-smash-v-2

Out:
1x Rockbiter
1x Forked Lightning
1x Mana Tide

In:
1x Sunfury Protector
1x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x Molten Giant
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]