Unbound Elemental Buff?

The Unbound Elemental just seems like a waste of a space in your deck, honestly. (Yes, these events are stupid but whatever.)

You draw, find the Elemental and immediately play it on turn 5.

Oh my, your Druid opponent plays 2 Innervates and an Alexstrasza!

Your only hope in your hand is a Lightning Bolt with a Lava Burst. Alexstrasza is gone.

You have a 4/6 Unbound Elemental on Turn 6 and 3 mana available to use. (I'm not badmouthing Overload spells, just the minion.) Gee, that's just wonderful.

Maybe if it statted up for each overload (Lava Burst is 2). Or if each stat was 2/1. Also, I find it hard to believe that there is only 1 card that rewards you for playing Overload. Add more minions like this (better ones, preferably) and maybe a spell that draws cards for how many overloaded Mana Crystals you currently have. That could be a bit broken, but you get the idea. Shaman could use the buff anyway. What do you guys think of this?
Reply Quote
The problem in your scenario isn't Unbound Elemental, it's the lackluster answer to Alex.

If you had a Hex in your hand, all would be well. The point of Unbound Elemental isn't that you drop it on turn five and finish with it on turn six. Ideally, you drop it early in the game, continue playing your overload spells as you normally would and you'll be forcing your opponent to do something about UE. He's either trading with it, wasting removal on it, or eventually facing something that hurts him way more than a three mana minion should.

UE's basically a high priority target because it likes to snowball out of control if left alone.

I mean, look at the situation you were in; what other three mana card would've been significantly stronger after Lightning Bolting and Lava Bursting Alex? I can't think of too many three mana creatures that would be hitting as hard as that Unbound Elemental. Or would be more useful, unless there's a rather specific follow-up.
Reply Quote
Even if I played a deck with very few Overload cards I'd still run at least one Unbound in it, it's just that good for baiting removal cards.
"Oh, he just burned Fireball on my Unbound... welp, guess I'll play Chillwind Yeti this turn"

At worst it's still gonna be 2/4, fairly sticky minion for 3 Mana minion. Alternatively you can try running Harvest Golems, those buggers are pain to deal with.
Reply Quote
nvm
Edited by FunkyMonk on 6/18/2014 6:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Any 4 health minion played on turn 3 (or turn 2 with coin) will be problematic for your opponent to deal with on their turn 3. That's the point of unbound elemental, frothing berserker, etc.

If your opponent has nothing on the board from turn 1 or 2 then they are punished for that, and they need to use 2 cards to remove the unbound, or sit back and watch it power up on the subsequent turn.

If you really dont like them you can swap them with golems. I tried this for a while and eventually went back to unbounds - a 3/5 later in the game with possibility to go higher (e.g., 4/6 vs priest? very useful) is actually quite reasonable.
Reply Quote
Unbound Elemental is the only way I cope with the pain of Overload.
Reply Quote
Hahah I used to feel the same TheOak, I've found a solution!

Make a good priest deck, I mean invest time and energy and research, even dust some cards and make a ragnaros, then play with that for an hour or so. It feels soooo great to not have overload!

Believe me, you'll be back and in love with your shammy in no time
Reply Quote
You want an Unbound Elemental buff?

Then play Lightning Bolt on the same turn.....

;)
Reply Quote
Coin Unbound on 2, Wolves on 3. 2 mana for removal on 4. Strong board. :)
Reply Quote
I can't understand how anyone can have a problem with unbound. He's a lightning rod for removal, sure he'll rarely ever live long enough to become a 5/7, but that's not the point. The number of games I've won simply because I coined an unbound on turn 2 and played feral on turn 3 is ridiculous. Half the time the opponent just can't come back from that. By the time they've gotten rid of the unbound you're dropping fire elementals and such. I mean you were going to play those overload cards anyway, why not play a creature that gets buffed by them.

My only gripe with unbound is we're only allowed 2 copies of him, I wish blizzard would introduce more cards that interacted with the overload mechanic, like a weapon that gains durability whenever you play a card with overload or something.
Reply Quote
06/20/2014 01:22 PMPosted by jakdripr

My only gripe with unbound is we're only allowed 2 copies of him, I wish blizzard would introduce more cards that interacted with the overload mechanic, like a weapon that gains durability whenever you play a card with overload or something.

Isn't Questing Adventurer kinda like Unbound Elemental? Granted, not as good, but "power-up" minion nevertheless.
Reply Quote
06/20/2014 02:49 PMPosted by ÄmJii
06/20/2014 01:22 PMPosted by jakdripr

Isn't Questing Adventurer kinda like Unbound Elemental? Granted, not as good, but "power-up" minion nevertheless.

That's actually a good point, I wonder why he isn't used in more decks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]