New player, introduction and some tips pls :)

Hi guys, how are you? :)
I started playing Heartstone a while ago and shaman is my favourite class, so much so that i disenchant every other class and neutral bonus card and try to make something for my shaman deck :) Today i crafted 2 feral spirits, forked lightning, 2x lightning storm and one mana tide totem cards. I am looking for advice concerning my deck. For now it looks like this:

Forked Lightning x1
Lightning Bolt x 2
Rockbitter Weapon x 1
Flametongue Totem x 2
Hex x 2
Lightning Storm x 2
Mana Tide Totem x 1
Bloodlust x 1

Argent Squire x 2
Acidic Ooze x 2
Loot Hoarder x 2
Ironbeak Owl x 1
Feral Spirit x 2
Chillwind Yeti x 2
Defender of Argus x 2
Windspeaker x 1
Silver Hand Knight x 1
Argent Commander x 2
Fire Elemental x 1

It seems pretty balanced deck so far, but i don't know much about the game so tell me what cards should i swap or what is my next goal for crafting? I prefer faster, early or mid game decks, for late game i will pick up priest after i finish my shaman deck. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply Quote
Hello there fellow Shaman!

Your budget deck is looking decent, albeit maybe little bit slower than you'd probably like. You should aim for getting these cards ASAP (roughly in this order):

Earth Shock: THE best Silence in the game, bar none. Shuts down Divine Shields before dealing damage, perfect for taking out Scarlet Crusaders and Twilight Drakes.
Drop your Ironbeaks for these.

Stormforged Axe: 2 Mana 2/3 weapon that'll let you dominate early game board, pretty much a no-brainer for any Shaman deck.
Consider dropping Loot Hoarder for this.

Lava Burst: Not quite as high priority as two mentioned above, but still a brilliant card. Slightly worse Fireball is still a strong removal/burst damage option, treat it mainly as 3rd Hex and use it for bursting if you're certain you're gonna win soon.
Drop either Windspeaker or one Defender of Argus for this (depending which one is less reliable).

Azure Drake: Staple card(s) in most Shaman decks, for a good reason. Spell Damage -boost AND card draw on a 4/4 minion is solid investment, much better than Silver Hand Knight imo.

Gadgetzan Auctioneer: Commonly used card draw mechanic in Shaman decks, this is great card if you manage to draw cards on same turn you play Auctioneer.

I'd also suggest replacing one Argent Commander with another Fire Elemental, on average Fire Elemental is better play than AC:
Fire Elementals enters the field as 6/5 AFTER dealing 3 damage, while AC usually enters the field as 4/2 after Charging at enemy minion.
2 Health minions is much easier to remove than 5 Health minion -> Fire Elemental tends to stay on board longer.
AC is still good, don't get me wrong, but I'd priorize Fire Elemental over Commander any day,

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
Of course it does, thanks for tips :) I will swap AC with F Elemental and start working on Azure Drakes :) If i squeeze in Lava Burst and spell dmg + cards it will feel like a mage a bit too much..? What i prefer more is more along the lines of get minions out, buff them with bloodlust/windfury and do massive dmg in 1 or 2 turns while using nukes and hex to have some sort of board control. Hit them hard :) Can this style of play compare to pure spellpower and nukes?
Reply Quote
Pretty much what he said. In regards to playing shaman, one of the tips ill give you is to always expect the worst when it comes to your lightning storms and plan around that, you'll be surprised how many threads we get every day complaining about lightning storm. Same with the totems, don't play expecting to get the right totem when you need it, that !@#$'ll give you grey hair.
Reply Quote
I dont get annoyed so i will have no problem with that :)
Reply Quote
06/16/2014 12:04 PMPosted by Blazehorn
If i squeeze in Lava Burst and spell dmg + cards it will feel like a mage a bit too much..?

Trust me, it won't :)
Shaman doesn't have Secrets, instead you have limited selections of weapons and wide array of minion buffs.

I'd say Shaman is a Paladin/Mage hybrid more than anything.

06/16/2014 12:04 PMPosted by Blazehorn
What i prefer more is more along the lines of get minions out, buff them with bloodlust/windfury and do massive dmg in 1 or 2 turns while using nukes and hex to have some sort of board control. Hit them hard :) Can this style of play compare to pure spellpower and nukes?

Yes, board control + overwhelming your opponent can compare to Spell Power nuking, I'd say they're equally viable.
Here's a discussion regarding Bloodlust and Windfury, you might find this helpful:
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/12674208552

I personally think that if you wanna run Bloodlust/Windfury, pick one and stick with it. While they both offer impressive burst potential, they're both situational cards and they sorta require a deck build around them to work properly.

06/16/2014 12:10 PMPosted by jakdripr
In regards to playing shaman, one of the tips ill give you is to always expect the worst when it comes to your lightning storms and plan around that, you'll be surprised how many threads we get every day complaining about lightning storm. Same with the totems, don't play expecting to get the right totem when you need it, that !@#$'ll give you grey hair.

Exactly this.
One way to counter Lightning Storm RNG is to have few Spell Damage -minions in your deck to assure you'll get the damage you need. Kobold Geomancers and Ogre Magi are both good budget choices for this purpose (skip Dalaran Mages, those things are awful).

Another tip I'd give about totems is to plan whether you want to use it now or save it for later. If you've decided to play a totem on your current turn, play the totem BEFORE you do anything else: You never know if you get a convenient Taunt or Spell Damage -boost that'll change your game plan for current & following Turns.
Reply Quote
Welcome mate!

Let us know when u have 1600 dust, hope u decide on Al'Akir, he's awesome :)

In the meantime, if you want some "Hammer Time", doomhammer is pretty sweet too. Combos well with rockbiters...
Reply Quote
My current deck as a shaman only contains 2 epic's and no legendary, I think i will be able to hit legend with it:

2x argent squrie
2x earth shock
2x lightning bolt
2x rockbiter
2x flamtongue
2x feral spirit
2x unbound elemental
2x lightning storm
2x hex
1x bloodknight
1x mana tide totem
2x defender of argus
2x senji shieldmaster
1x doomhammer
2x azure drake
1x argent commander
2x fire elemental

To keep it more cheap you can use a stormforged axe for doomhammer and an harvest golem/lava burst on turn 3 instead of bloodknight.

How do i play shaman?

Keep thinking how you can get board control and keep in mind your opponents way of clearing your board. Some things vary like with hunter you want to prevent 7x unleash the hounds. Against rogue you should safe your taunts as best as you can without losing life. Against zoo you want to establish board control with alot of taunt and use your removal sooner than with other classes (hexing a 3/4 is oke, lightning a 2/2 is fine)

A tip is to evaluatie after a game, how did i lose? card draw? lost board control? lost to much life?

Good luck, shaman is a great class to play=)!
Reply Quote
Thanks for the tips guys. So far i realised i picked a hard class to play bcs i need to plan in advance and know what my enemy will do :) And to totem first before playing something else, if i decide to totem.

I did craft some new cards, bcs i was lucky to get golden mountain giant from a deck today and he gave me 400 dust (i hope it was not a mistake to dsch it but i dont think he can contribute in any way to my deck).

So i crafted Azure Drake x 2 and 1 Auctioneer and 1 of Eartshock and Stormforged Axe.
Also made Ravenholdt Assassin bcs i read that combined with windfury rockbitter and possibly bloodlust is a very strong finisher :) Now, my deck looks like this:

Earthshock x 1 - swapped my 1 Owl for this spell
Forked Lightning x 1
Rockbitter Weapon x 1
Stormforged Axe x 1 - swapped one Loothoarder for this spell

Windfury x 1 - i read that link AmJii gave me and he seems to favor WFury over Bloodlust - swapped the other Loothoarder for this

Lightning Bolt x 2
Flametongue Totem x 2
Hex x 2
Lightning Storm x 2
Manatide Totem x 1

Argent Squire x 2 - or is there a better 1 cost minion for shaman?
Swamp Ooze x 2 - im scared of weapons :)
Feral Spirit x 2
Chillwind Yeti x 2
Defender of Argus x 2

Windspeaker x 1 - should i pick another Windfury spell and swap him with.. Auctioneer for instance?

Azure Drake x 2
G Auctioneer x 1
Fire Elemental x 1
Ravenholdt Assassin x 1

Going to try it out a bit, I would appreciate some more advice if u dont mind guys :)
Edited by Blazehorn on 6/17/2014 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hm, I might very well be reiterating what others have said, but I'd like to chime in as well!

For a deck with a relatively low budget, I'd probably look at something like this for a core:

2x Earth Shock
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Rockbiter Weapon
2x Flametongue Totem
2x Feral Spirit
2x Hex
2x Lightning Storm
2x Harvet Golem
2x Unbound Elemental
2x Chillwind Yeti
2x Azure Drake
2x Fire Elemental

24 Cards in total. The remaining cards have far less impact on the performance of the deck, imho, but some you should look into:

Running your Defenders of Argus and Manatide Totem alongside those would be a good idea, of course. Add the Stormforged Axe and two Boulderfist Ogres (decent finishers if you're in a budget, imho) and you should be good to go.

So, the list would look like this:

2x Earth Shock
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Rockbiter Weapon
1x Stormforged Axe
2x Flametongue Totem
2x Feral Spirit
2x Hex
2x Lightning Storm
2x Harvet Golem
2x Unbound Elemental
1x Mana Tide Totem
2x Defender of Argus
2x Chillwind Yeti
2x Azure Drake
2x Fire Elemental
2x Boulderfist Ogre

The deck lacks some of the combo-y stuff, like Windfury shennanigans. Instead, it focuses on running the most efficient minions and spells you can get on a budget. That's why it's not running minions with a mana cost of one. These are usually not very efficient and tend to be of relatively little importance later on, wheras most of the slightly more expensive creatures don't fall from grace as much.

You basically want to control the board by taking your opponent's minions out - ideally, by trading favourably. That way, you can build up some pressure onto your opponent, giving them little respite throughout the game. The rather excellent removal suite Shamans can run helps with that, as well. Lightning Storms can create massive card advantage and it does play mind-games with your opponents. Overextending isn't a very appealing concept if there's a potential board wipe around the corner. And that's the gist of playing the deck, in a nutshell: Building pressure, controlling the board and pacing the game.

The deck lacks the distinctive high damage burst finisher, though. No Bloodlust, no Windfury, nothing along those lines. A Doomhammer or Al'Akir + Rockbiter is nice and all, but "lesser" options tend to not be worth it, in my opinion. I don't like cards that rely on each other all that much; it only makes the deck clunky and puts you in sticky situations when the pieces don't fall together. The pay-off is quite high for some of these mini-combos, but I wouldn't run one if it isn't exceptionally strong.

Thus, I'd rather build a deck that's consistent, first and foremost. Especially if you haven't played for too long yet. There's very little to take away from loosing a game because you never drew one of your Windfury spells in order to seal the deal.
Reply Quote
That is a good advice, i like consistency, but in this game with shaman deck i also reaaaaly like raven assassin + windfury or flametongue/rockbitter weapon combo. That's minimum 14 dmg, up to 26 realistically, i cant expect to always have all them buffs. Dont think i will give that up just yet :) Is there a better finisher for my deck or..? Also, why to give up at least one windfury/bloodlust card? I mean it can't hurt to have them, they can only pay off at some point in the game?
Edited by Blazehorn on 6/21/2014 5:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Facing control deck, you won't have enough minion to get off a good Bloodlust. Against rush deck, you will never reach the point of using Bloodlust. Better off using some other card that is not dead weight more often than not.

As to Windfury, you need fast, big cards to use it effectively. Since you are running a budget deck, I agree with others in not using it yet. Once you have extra dust or get lucky, put in a couple of Argent Commander and THEN combo those with Windfury. As you get even more dust, get a Leeroy Jenkins and take out an Argent Commander.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]