Requesting: Nerf Mage

I don't know about you, but I'm about bored to death with the mage deck.... I'm bored using it, and I'm bored trying to go against someone else using it. it's so predictable.... and yet most of the time you can't even do anything about it..

this is how mage deck works, using CHEAP cheap mana cards to top it off keep that in mind: peck off some HP with some cheap cards (and let's face it, with a mage deck that isn't hard to do at all) and stall them as long as you can by mauling their minions with the most OP spells in the entire game until you can get your two 6 damage fire spells and your 10 damage fire spell. that's 22 dmg right there already, most of the time you've already done at least 8 damage before they get to that point... and a lot of times before you get to THAT point, you can have em dead or almost dead with other spells and minions.. and if somehow all that doesn't finish them off, freeze em and ice lance em to death, or whatever order you want to do all that in.... and by that time you probably have something to boost spell damage or some kinda OP legendary creature on the board..... it's freakin ridiculous... the way to beat a mage is to pray they have a bad draw and you have an epic one, and even then it's hard to kill it..... it's a cheap deck and it needs a serious nerf-over. i'm not here to hate on the deck, i'm seriously wanting someone to consider this and try to find some kinda balance in the deck...
Edited by defCOBRA on 6/18/2014 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
How about using some heal spells, or armor as a warrior. try to counter it in some ways instead of crying?
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 10:50 AMPosted by Werra
How about using some heal spells, or armor as a warrior. try to counter it in some ways instead of crying?

how about giving some insight into that option instead of trying to troll the forum with dumb child antics.... lets hear your plan on how to "counter" that situation. i'm sure it's brilliant.
Edited by defCOBRA on 6/18/2014 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 10:42 AMPosted by defCOBRA
it's so predictable

This is true for almost every deck at higher ranks. In most games, most players can accurately guess ~25/30 cards in pretty much any matchup. Mage is not special in this regard.

using CHEAP cheap mana cards

Yet they are not any cheaper than spells like Rockbiter, Lightning Bolt, Wrath, Shadow Word Pain, Wrath, Backstab, Eviserate, etc...

I'm glad you know what mage does. But did you also know that the very class that you are considering op had the second lowest win ratio of all the classes for the past 2 months? Have you considered that maybe that you are just bad at the game?
Reply Quote
OP what rank are you at?
Reply Quote
Yeah I agree. Boring as hell to play against. Even being really aggressive still can't get past their delay. Can't heal as a shaman either, so there's not many options left. I'm floating between rank 5-2 ATM.
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 11:00 AMPosted by defCOBRA
how about giving some insight into that option instead of trying to troll the forum with dumb child antics.... lets hear your plan on how to "counter" that situation. i'm sure it's brilliant.

OH GOD THE IRONY
Reply Quote
Rank 20 scrubs qqing about mages in a game where Control Warriors, Miracle Rouges and Cheaplocks reign supreme.

I tell you what OP Control Warriors, Miracle Rouges and Cheaplocks are so predictable.... and yet most of the time you can't even do anything about it... yet I don't see you complain about them.

I am stuck at rank5 for two days because everyone runs one of those mainstream decks/classes now off to go QQ to blizzard for nerfhammer.
Reply Quote
flamestrike and blizzard are so cheap

also 3 out of 9 classes flat out counter freeze mage and the rest has a pretty good chance of beating them with big enough agression
Reply Quote
I'll say this time and time again.. nerf the damage component on frost bolt (down to 1).

For the most part all the freeze spells (except ice lance.. maybe even buff the freeze condition damage) need to do little to no damage. Frost bolt needs a nerf really.
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 06:26 AMPosted by Ravis
I'll say this time and time again.. nerf the damage component on frost bolt (down to 1).

For the most part all the freeze spells (except ice lance.. maybe even buff the freeze condition damage) need to do little to no damage. Frost bolt needs a nerf really.

What? no
Frostshock, it would be a clone of frostshock (shaman spell) that costs one more mana... and frostshock is already a terrible spell.

You don't like mage: Just play warrior and stop asking for nerfs every time there's a popular mage deck.
Edited by Nawasty on 6/23/2014 8:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 10:50 AMPosted by Werra

How about you stop trolling the forum with stupid threads that request nerf to an already super nerfed class that can be countered if the enemy knows actually how to play huh????Get out of here.
Reply Quote
If mage is so good just start playing this deck :)
Reply Quote
OP what class do you use?
Reply Quote
I just played against two mages in a row in the Arena and all they do is freeze my entire army with a 3 mana spell! I would have won the match, but the mage had two of these spells in the Arena!

What kind of spell gets a free attack then halts the turn for the other player for 3 mana? Read that again please. Halts the turn for the other player! They basically get a free turn and the fact they did it twice is over powered to say the least!

It is almost like they cheat to win. Sooooooo many damn freeze spells. What the hell!

EDIT: OMG THE THIRD PERSON I JUST PLAYED WAS ALSO A MAGE! BTW ALL 3 MAGES HAD A SUPER POWERFUL LEGENDARY IN THEIR ARENA PICK!

All 3 mages powned me, with freeze cheat spells and super powerful legendarys! WTF IS GOING ON!

Are they hacking into the arena?
Edited by Breakerton on 6/23/2014 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Ironic because you've given zero insight at all. But whatever, I'll bite:
- What crybabies like you don't seem to understand is that throwing out a laundry list of card names with no basis of comparison does not constitute an argument. For example, I don't know what class you play, but whatever it is I could take your entire wall of text, replace all the cards with your class cards, and claim that your class is op. It would make no more or less sense than what you posted.
- How cheap are mage cards compared to others, as has been already listed above?
it's so predictable.... and yet most of the time you can't even do anything about it.

- Yes you can. It's been mentioned already, you just choose to ignore it in favor of whining.
- If a lot of times you find yourself "dead almost dead" before the mage casts a single fireball, pyroblast, freeze or lance, how badly do you suck?
- Which legendary do you consider OP? Because Lord Tony is widely considered weak to average. Or are you saying that the fact that mages have access to neutral cards makes them OP?
Reply Quote
One million and three. I'm getting a lot of milage out of this post this week.

I've said this a million times so why not repost it again.

let me paint a picture of early Beta for you. This is what an OP mage really looks like. Pyroblast used to be eight mana, and Cone of Cold, Frost Nova, and Blizzard were all one mana cheaper.

Turn 1: Mana Wyrm
Turn 2: Frost Nova
Turn 3: Frost Nova / Cone of Cold
Turn 4: Frost Nova / Cone of Cold
Turn 5: Blizzard / Frost Nova/ Cone of Cold
Turn 6: Blizzard / Frost Nova/ Cone of Cold
Turn 7: Flamestrike
Turn 8: Pyroblast
Turn 9: Pyroblast / Lepper Gnome (just to salt the wound)

So let me say this in terms of the game. Turn one you might field a creature but it’s not important, because on turn two he’s a block of ice thanks to frost nova. Turn two you field more creatures an they take a Cone of Cold or Frost Nova and are also blocks of ice. This continues for the next four turns, Frost Nova, Cone of Cold, Blizzard and there is nothing you can do about it. Meanwhile thanks to their low cost your opponent has drawn cards, thrown out a frostbolt here, a fireball there, and if you yourself are frozen they’ve probably ice lanced you once or twice. Turn seven rolls around and they finally are out of freeze spells, just in time for your damaged and weakened board to get flamestriked. Turn eight you get a pyroblast to the face and you’re probably less than ten health now. Your next turn is really just a formality because turn nine you know what’s coming the second pyroblast you’re already dead no matter what you do.

You think we’re OP now, you know nothing! Yeah Miracle is dominant, Zoo and Handlock is aggravating as hell, but they have nothing on what Mages used to be capable of. What you say about not needing a brain was very true back then. It was a full nine turns of control and removal. We needed a nerf and we got one. Blizzard started by nerfing our Freeze and while that hurt us it wasn't enough, so Blizzard raised the cost of pyroblast. That set everything straight and brings us up to the present.

So since we’ve been nerfed whats the problem with us now? Allow me to unpack a lot of your grievances.

X (Opponent): It’s so cheap they nuked my 6/6 with a Fireball!
M (Mage): Getting hit by your 6/6 sucks as bad as getting hit by a fireball.

X: It’s so cheap they turned my 6/6 into a sheep!
M: Getting hit by your sheep sucks less than getting hit by your 6/6.

X: I had my field all set up and then they Flamestriked / Froze the board.
M: Getting punched in the face by an army sucks a lot!

Not a single one of those explanations is unreasonable. So why does this always happen when you face a Mage, it’s the nature of our class. Blizzard said as much early in Alpha. They went on the record saying we’re changing fireball to four mana we want the Mages to be the masters of burn. We already knew with all the ice spells and polymorph we’d be control, but having cheap burn power made it official. Our Modus Operandi or MO is control burn. In MTG terms Boros or Izzit (Red/White or Red/Blue).

So why do we always respond with spells rather than play minions to win like everyone else. Simply put they do a better job of dealing with threats than our minions. Our minions are utility and ultimately situational. They are far cry from sure bets, and they are not supposed to go toe to toe. Their purpose is to be deployed biased on the current state of the game. My minions have two jobs to do. First, wreak havoc with their ability. Second, to deal what damage they can. If I’m dealing enough damage to cause you problems I’ll leave it to you to try and kill my minions. In the mean time I’m going to nuke and remove your minions and poke away at your health.

Here is the point. Control decks are designed to force you to play our game and not yours. We will start by taking your game plan away from you. What always works may not work anymore. What you needed to pull off a combination might be taken from you. We break your game down and dismantle it. Yeah it’s annoying but it’s how we win. And, you think there is no thought to how we play?

The problem isn’t that we have overpowering spells we don’t anymore. See the above if you need convincing of that. No the problem is Mages are a control class. Our minions are bolstered by our ability to control you. They get bolstered by our control and removal. Mirror Entity, Vaporize, Counterspell, Spellbender they take away your spells and minions. They are control cards. Frostbolt Fireball: Flamestrike take away your health and your minions. They are removal cards. It’s not secret to a CCG player what our cards are meant to do. And, to give Blizzard credit they did a good job in our design. Secrets are Blue control, Freeze is White control, and Nukes are Red.

The complains you are voicing aren’t new to this game or any other CCG. Let me break that down for you if you’re new to CCG’s. There are three formats decks roughly fall into: Burn, Control, and Aggro. Control is a pain no matter what CCG you’re playing, I've faced enough control decks in my time to hate them as much as everyone else. That said it’s as legitimate a strategy as Aggro. Red White (what I play) in my opinion is the worst because it feels so hopeless, and if you fall behind it's over and your opponent knows it. Barring any mental errors you've been pushed to break point.

The meta is partially to blame for your difficulty. You all build to fight against Aggro because the vast majority of decks are Aggro. When you run into us you’re utterly unprepared to deal with how we’re going to handle the game. As I said we dictate the terms of engagement and force you to play how we wan’t you to. That is why when you get beaten you get beaten badly. Aggro is utterly predictable and relies heavily on RNG, if your speed is a little off a well constructed control will completely dominate you. We have great consistency and versatility, it just doesn’t show as well in Hearthstone because the decks are 30 cards instead of 60 and resources are a set certainty . Aggro is very fast here and is harder to shut down.

It’s not our cards that you hate, it’s the playstyle they facilitate that you hate. Control is annoying and is only fun if when you manage to compete with it. Blizzard nefed us to balance. We’re not going to get hit with nerf bat till Naxx, and that's only because every class will get at least one stupidly broken card. We’re are the control class that Blizzard intended us to be. Like all control deck it takes work and a lot of forethought to play well as a mage now. We’re balanced, we’re just the wrong playstyle for the meta game right now.

So can we stop flaming and can the trolls please return to your bridges, or LoL I suppose.
Edited by Peripatetic on 8/21/2014 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well the whole text actually proves that mages are stronger then all other classes and the mage kit is good in "almost" every situation.
Bla bla bla.. Yeah we can burst your whole field any times but "add some stuff that happens to every class"...

08/21/2014 01:55 PMPosted by Peripatetic
Our minions are utility and ultimately situational

Thats the reason other classes dont have that many spells

So why do we always respond with spells rather than play minions to win like everyone else. Simply put they do a better job of dealing with threats than our minions.

Thats the problem. They do BY FAR a better job of dealing with minions.

What you needed to pull off a combination might be taken from you. We break your game down and dismantle it.

That must be a combination only mages can do

. You all build to fight against Aggro because the vast majority of decks are Aggro.

Thats not true
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]