Control deck stuck at rank 5-6

Hey everyone,

I'm playing HS casually for about 3 months now however I have managed to get some decent wins in the arena which allowed me to get a few of the decent legendaries needed in constructed(luck helped as well). The deck I have been using is a variant of Trumps f2p that's how I started it and I have upgraded some of the minions since. At the moment I'm stuck at rank 5-6 with no further progress at a decent pace while playing for roughly 2h a day while doing a lot of arenas on the weekends. So far this is what I've got and I would really appreciate any constructive criticism or suggestions on how to improve the deck based on current meta. Since I'm not on legendary rank myself and since there are mage players out there with better insight I thought of making this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Control - Valuemage v2:

Frostbolt x2
Ooze
Faerie Dragon x2
Amani berserker x2
Sunfury Protector x2
Arcane Intellect x2( I have been using Acolytes for more than a month but I mostly need the card draw and AI is faster)
Earthen Ring Farseer
Harvest Golem x2
Fireball x2
Polymorph x2
Chillwind Yeti
Water Elemental x2
Azure Drake x2
Faceless Manipulator
Cairne bloodhoof
Sylvanas
The Black Knight
Flamestrike x2
Ragnaros

I'm considering swapping 1 polymorph for Big game hunter, still having thoughts on how to optimize against miracle rogues, maybe swapping my last yeti for a defender of argus.

The problem that I see would be cheap 3-5 mana aoe wiping my faeries and the ooze however I don't drop more than 1 of those when I expect aoe. That 2 hp is what gives me second thoughts. Before that I was running Mana wyrms due to 3hp and the potential of growing on subsequent turns through Frostbolt and next AI/Fireball however the Faeries seem more robust on their own apart from cheap aoe drawback of course.
Edited by mmofun on 6/23/2014 5:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i'd ditch farie dragon for mana wyrms(you have zero onedrops) and including a thalnos in there somewhere

i also think sylvanas is kinda slow in this meta(i mean i guess you can like sylvanas+fireball big drops but still BGH is a lot more valuable)

i also like at least one argent squire for early pressure and one arcane missiles against aggro decks and mana wyrm empowering.
Reply Quote
@shaunika
Argent Squire for Mage is terrible. Possibly the worst 1drop in the game.
Explanation: as a 1/1 it doesn't possess a threat to Control decks AND also empowers opposing Blood Knights (and I assure u there are a lot of those).

Sylvanas is one of the best legendaries out there. Almost a must-include.

Fairy Dragons are the doom of Miracle Rogues and Druids.

@OP
I have a very similar deck (currently rank4).
Your deck is looking great but TBK would strengthen it a lot (against Druids).
Reply Quote
@alife: As you say especially against druids! Up until now in the current meta druids have given me most headaches. I used to run Trump's version with 2x wyrms and 2x squires but it felt somehow week. My main priority will be Black Knight for sure afterwards I might got for Thalnos. I am not considering crafting BGH yet... maybe after I craft TBK.

Up until now my most troublesome opponents have proven to be Miracle rogues, Druids and in some rare occasions agroo Paladins. Everything else with this deck seems doable I would say on average 60%+ success rate.

So my final thoughts would be to flip a yeti for BKT and a polymorph for BGH. Theoretically what would you guys suggest? I know I have to include BKT and BGH the question is would this be the optimal way?

Also from my personal experience it seems to me AI fairs better than Acolyte of Pain in a mage deck either control or agroo. That instant 2 card draw has proven more crucial to me.(I might even consider playing a druid sometime just because of ancient of lore)
Reply Quote
06/19/2014 05:27 AMPosted by alife
@shaunika
Argent Squire for Mage is terrible. Possibly the worst 1drop in the game.
Explanation: as a 1/1 it doesn't possess a threat to Control decks AND also empowers opposing Blood Knights (and I assure u there are a lot of those).

Sylvanas is one of the best legendaries out there. Almost a must-include.

Fairy Dragons are the doom of Miracle Rogues and Druids.

@OP
I have a very similar deck (currently rank4).
Your deck is looking great but TBK would strengthen it a lot (against Druids).

i just dont see how sylvanas can still be relevant in a meta where everyone can do 15 damage to the face in 1 turn, its way too slow.

and yes squires may not be great, but i just hate not having onedrops and squires are still the best at that (i wouldnt really run leper gnome in a control deck)
Reply Quote
Managed to craft TBK today after farming in the arena, I'll update the deck, still rank 8 since I only played 3 fights so far won vs druid and priest lost vs Miracle rogue.

Any thoughts of improving the deck or tactics vs miracle rogue?

Thanks.
Edited by mmofun on 6/19/2014 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't believe you have the burst, stall or the card draw to compete with Rogue. That being said, go yolo or go home is as good as you are likely to get. If you can draw out his spells to minimize a big Auctioneer play then you are on your way to winning. It may just be a bad matchup with the deck you want to play.

This isn't about Mage being bad against Miracle, but that Miracle is simply a better control deck. There is little to nothing that TBK will have as a target. You don't have have cheap spells that a Faceless can profit from off an Auctioneer and there's practically nothing else to copy worth the mana cost of Faceless. Sylvanas and Cairne are Sap targets for Miracle to gain tempo off of while they assemble combo bits. You don't have any finisher that comes close to the lethal potential that Miracle has.

If you do well enough against Warlock then meh, play your deck and enjoy. If you are still on the fence and want to retool against Rogue, imho, you need more burst, be it Pyro or Ice Lances for a full yolo rush against Miracle that your beefy minions will actually be in a position to accomplish anything of value before Leeroy+SS+SS+CB+CB ends your day, over and over again.
Reply Quote
@WynPharaoh: With agroo mage decks from my personal experience it gets better vs miracle rogues but sadly they loose bad against most control decks i.e warrior, druid, shaman. Control mage seems decent enough though however you nailed it those that you named are the most important facts vs miracle rogue and it seems for now there's no foolproof solution. 2x icelance would be decent but they would hamper the deck vs all others since the minions are more important in most cases. I could drop the Ooze and 1 flamestrike for 2x icelance though... theoretically it doesn't sound as a bad trade.
Reply Quote
I'm stuck at rank 5-6 for two days now and I am considering to swap both Polymorphs for Vaporize. Although I value Polymorph a lot especially at taking down big targets the problem is they are 4 mana and require a further 2 mana ping sometimes in order to be effective and they are reactive. On the other hand vaporize is proactive and cheaper and finishes off most targets( it's not very effective vs minions like Cairne and Golem ect ofc).

the main reason why I am considering Vaporize is that as most of you I run against either zoolock or other kinds of zoo of any class(mostly locks and warriors though) or miracle rogues and in that case poly seems to do too little too late. So I was considering swapping poly for vaporize might give me an edge vs those decks with my current deck while on the other hand won't gimp me that much vs other decks were poly might still be preferable however vaporize might prove to be a cheaper(mana wise) choice.

I could playtest extensively this in casual mode but still casual mode does not necessarily follow the ranked mode meta so the results can be biased for example I playtested 2 x Faeries vs 2 x mana wyrms and in casual I was doing better with wyrms while in ranked it's exactly the opposite.

Ideas and theorycrafting are much appreciated.
Edited by mmofun on 6/23/2014 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]