#1 and #2 in NA are shamans

Hey everyone,just made this post as a response to the people saying in this forum that shaman is underpowered and could not be a top tier class.

I reach the #1 spot in the North american ladder yesterday and Grindstone(another shaman player) is currently at #2,i am not completely sure but this is probably the first time that two shamans are in the top 3 wich makes me really really happy.

In case you are interested my decklist is on hearthpwn and hopefully i would be updating the post with a guide soon.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/62074-yseros-shaman-season-3-legend-top-15-na
Reply Quote
Nice work. Deck list makes a lot of sense, especially since I imagine you only really encounter Druids, Handlocks, Miracle Rogues and other Shamans at that level of play. Not worth running at least a single mana tide though? Do you find it's just too slow and doesn't apply enough pressure?
Reply Quote
I'm the only one who said they are under powered... and that's because I'm a nut job who over reacted to a bad losing streak!
Reply Quote
That deck looks good, I've ran basically the same deck except that I don't have Thalnos or Al Akir. I'm looking forward to the deck guide for sure!! Man I wish I had thought some more before I crafted a legendary, I should have gotten Thalnos or Al Akir :(
Reply Quote
Yea losing streaks are frustrating. Yesterday I went from Rank 4 to 6 and then all the way back to 4. I kept running into zoo and then modified my deck to be better against zoo, then stomped it. It's really important not to overreact to zoo by adding in things like earth elemental because they just die horribly to druids BGH & Black knight. I think I might try to speed up the early game with the squires / golems. They're good targets for flametongue, which is probably as good as our earlier game presence can be without overloading ourselves up the wazoo.
Reply Quote
If you made it to Rank 10 or above, your deck is probably fine.

The rest is just refining your plays.
Edited by TheOak on 6/19/2014 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How do you deal with the lack of card draw? Only two azure drakes for card draw seems very concerning, based on your record and rank obviously it isn't just curious how you work through this?
Reply Quote
I think what happens is that the Harvest Golems lead to favorable trades early game, and the advantage compounds as the game goes on.

You don't often see Harvest Golems very often in Shaman decks.
Reply Quote
I run a very similar deck to yours aside from the Defender/Doomhammer/Al'Akir.

One major difference I see is that I run 2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta and you run Unbound Elemental. Do you feel like the Unbound Ele helps you more since I've noticed personally that miracle rogues and zoolocks despise the Shieldmasta and it also forces them to waste removal on him so that I can drop bigger minions like yetis and Argent Commanders later on.
Reply Quote
Actually I ranked from rank 10 to rank 3 with 2 harvest golems. They provide excellent trades.

I eventually dropped to 1, and then 0, but I do recommend them.

Yseros and Grindstone - GRATS! Well done. Can you share any insight into the decks you face, and strategies?
Reply Quote
06/19/2014 11:32 AMPosted by Yseros
Hey everyone,just made this post as a response to the people saying in this forum that shaman is underpowered and could not be a top tier class.

I reach the #1 spot in the North american ladder yesterday and Grindstone(another shaman player) is currently at #2,i am not completely sure but this is probably the first time that two shamans are in the top 3 wich makes me really really happy.

In case you are interested my decklist is on hearthpwn and hopefully i would be updating the post with a guide soon.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/62074-yseros-shaman-season-3-legend-top-15-na

Awesome man, congrats. Few questions about your build, but it seems excellent for the meta.

1) Kind of rare to see both Al'Akir and Doomhammer...do you feel they both compete for your rockbiters, and since you do run both, if you have a choice for early game removal, do you use your Lightning Bolts over Rockbiters?

2) What your opinion on Violet Teacher over Yeti? I run Teachers (no Bloodlust obv), because the 1/1s can also be Flametongued.

3) I've seen a couple builds with some crazy stuff ideas at the 3 slot like Tinkmaster and Blood Knight? You like the Harvest Golems for consistency?

4) Thoughts on Lava Burst?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Not rare at all to see Al'Akir and Doomhammer, what are you smoking if you don't play with both?!
Reply Quote
dont have al'akir should I craft it? I play alot of shaman.
Reply Quote
06/20/2014 04:22 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
Not rare at all to see Al'Akir and Doomhammer, what are you smoking if you don't play with both?!

Yeah you're right, just looked at Dreamhack shaman lists and among those players it is popular. I know I've just mostly looked at Kolento's and Tides' lists before and they generally run one or the other.
Reply Quote
That deck is lacking card draws though...
Reply Quote
Shaman doesn't need much card draw. If it curves out well, you will kill your opponent extremely fast.
Earth Shock, Lightning Bolt and Hex are massive tempo plays, as is the Fire Elemental and Flametongue Totem. If you get ahead on board, and your opponent tries to stabilize with a taunt, you can shock/hex it for a fraction of the taunt's cost, and push their face while further developing your board.
Alternatively, you can use flametongue totem to recycle the chaff on your board, and remove the taunt for 2 mana and minimal board cost. Again, letting you develop and push their face (extra hard with flametongue!).

If you just happen to curve into rockbiter/windfury, or have a load of left over bolts/lava burst, well you can probably push for lethal really early.

If it doesn't, you simply need to adapt your game, and milk the totems. Shaman's hero power is amazing at slowing games down and milking value. Especially with their removal and how well it scales.

Not to mention that the Shamans' overload costs actually give the deck an impressively high curve. Those wolves and lightning storms? They're 3-drops, but they're 5 mana. That's one card that might as well take up two turns if played early.

Much like Druids, Shamans can perform quite well with smallish hands. Their cards are powerful, they can stall with their hero power, and perform big swings when needed.
Reply Quote
I got my gold Shaman and I'm happy, I quit this game because the decks are all garbage netdecks and it irritates me. Back to hermiting and playing WoW for me
Reply Quote
In response to the people who think this deck is lacking card draw, I would just like to explain quickly why you do not need it in this deck. This deck runs a fairly low curve with high quality cards in every slot. Therefore you are not cycling towards any sort of combo and nearly every time you topdeck something that something is usually useful. In the later rounds you will nearly always be able to play whatever you draw instantly without having to worry.

Mana tide is a 0-3 body which in most situations is a 1 card draw 3 health taunt which even compared to a gnomish inventor is just awful. If you get it off to draw multiple cards and its winning you games well then you were far enough ahead to win anyway.

The key here is don't just go blindly slamming down minions, be sure one of the 4 totems wouldn't be more useful in this situation and don't over commit into AOE. If you follow those rules you do not need to stack your deck with draw, this isn't zoo.
Reply Quote
Man I was so wrong when I said they are underpowered. I really was just playing my hand wrong and I can admit that now... before I was trying to just drag it out and outlast them , but now I am really pushing to the face and bursting them down much earlier and I just went on a 12 game win streak and got up to rank 6. One thing I added was a bloodlust. I was missing that mid game big time burst and it has been absolutely critical in this win streak. I know not many shaman players run one, and as I move up the ladder I will probably have to get rid of it, but it's been great lately. I always had a bunch of weak totems or minions out there and even with flametongue and rockbiter I wasn't getting the burst I needed. So a bloodlust and windfury has come in really helpful and has helped me win many games.
Reply Quote
Questions. Do you ever feel that running both argent commanders alongside the fire elementals and alakir are ever too cloggy? If so, are you running both due to the prevalence of Gadgetzen and Azure Drakes? Also, do you ever miss the second Lightning Storm in zoo/aggro matchups? I know it's more of a comeback mechanic than anything, but how often does it become a problem? Finally, what's the reasoning behind running the Harvest Golem over let's say a Yeti, Defender or a Storm?
Edited by Lolerster on 6/22/2014 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]