THE DARK SIDE (novice)

I'll NEVER JOIN YOU... NOOOOOOOOO! (Zoo / Hand / Miracle)

I was playing today and — well dominated isn't strong enough — victimized was more like it. I picked up the monthly card back and spent the last few weeks working, writing, and reading. I logged on picked up my trusty Gorehowl and clearly things have changed. I didn't win a single game part of it was SoL but that's something I've struggle through before. This was clearly something broken.

So I thought look to the class that’s always in the mix and is content around 3 — 4. Trouble is I'm a novice when it comes to the Shaman. This is what I have and was hoping you might have some suggestions.

Minions
2 — 2 — Faerie Dragon
2 — 2 — Flametongue Totem
3 — 1 — Mana Tide Totem
4 — 2 — Sen’jin Shieldmaster
5 — 2 — Azure Drake
5 — 2 — Earth Elemental
5 — 1 — Gadgetzan Auctioneer
6 — 2 — Fire Elemental
8 — 1 — Gruul

Spells
1 — 2 — Earth Shock
1 — 2 — Lightning Bolt
1 — 2 — Rockbiter Weapon
2 — 2 — Ancestral Spirit
3 — 2 — Feral Spirit
3 — 2 — Hex
3 — 2 — Ligtning Storm

Weapons
2 — 1 — Stormforged Axe
Reply Quote
Hey man, and welcome to shamans!

You might want to slip in Unbound Elems and a Doomhammer at some point. On the horizon, when you can save up - Al'Akir.

Please be aware that Earth Elementals are very vulnerable to Big Game Hunter. You might want to swap them with Argent Commanders.

Argent Squires are also good when you are running flametongues.

Gruul is a less used legendary, you could swap him for a Cairne and Rag.

Have fun.
Reply Quote
Hum, well I do have a pair of unbound elementals, I’ll have to examine my options and give them a shot. I don’t have Doomhammer or Al’Akir, I’m starting to regret crafting Baron Geddon considering how my Control Warrior is coming undone at the seams right now.

Yeah I’m meaning to experiment with Argent Squires perhaps in place of Faerie Dragons.

I honestly like the Earth Elementals to be honest they’re good just for drawing out removal early on. That said I can see how in tight games against an enemy who knows how to handle themselves between the loss and the overload that could be crippling to a degree where you wouldn’t recover.

Gruul, yeah I plan on replacing him in due time but to be honest he's for once actually paying off. It's odd he's been a failure in everything else I've tried him in.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give them a shot and see what works for me. Otherwise a good start?
Reply Quote
I'd probably drop one Flametongue for Lava Burst, just to give you "3rd Hex" and a face burst option.
Reply Quote
06/21/2014 12:10 AMPosted by ÄmJii
I'd probably drop one Flametongue for Lava Burst, just to give you "3rd Hex" and a face burst option.

Had to do a double take there. For half a second my mind read Fire Elemental rather than Flametongue. That said I'm not wholly on board with that, but I'm going to keep trying different ideas.

06/20/2014 12:32 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
Please be aware that Earth Elementals are very vulnerable to Big Game Hunter. You might want to swap them with Argent Commanders.

I see what you mean about that. I played against me friends Druid deck which seems to be leapfrogging through the ranks. He BGHed my Earth Elemental and then Force of Natured Savage Roared me. Would swapping the Earth Ele for say a sun walker be a good move?

Also I'm thinking of adding a more utility legendary. I"m debating between Cairne and Sylvanas. This Isn't a crafting question I've got both. I'm just not sure which would be better suited to this deck.

I've also got: Baron, Ragnaros, Alexstrasza, Onyxia, and Ysera.

One last thing if I chose to use Sylanas should I swap a Sen'Jin or both of them for Argus so I can slap taunt on Sylvanas?
Edited by Peripatetic on 6/21/2014 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/21/2014 08:32 AMPosted by Peripatetic

I see what you mean about that. I played against me friends Druid deck which seems to be leapfrogging through the ranks. He BGHed my Earth Elemental and then Force of Natured Savage Roared me. Would swapping the Earth Ele for say a sun walker be a good move?

Sunwalker would be perfect counter against Savage Roar combo, Divine Shield makes it a pain to remove. It's a tough choice between Cairne and Sunwalker, Cairne is theoretically better due to his Deathrattle but Divine Shield + Taunt can greatly impede incoming face damage if your opponent doesn't have Silence/hard removal ready.
Reply Quote
06/21/2014 09:30 AMPosted by ÄmJii
06/21/2014 08:32 AMPosted by Peripatetic

Sunwalker would be perfect counter against Savage Roar combo, Divine Shield makes it a pain to remove. It's a tough choice between Cairne and Sunwalker, Cairne is theoretically better due to his Deathrattle but Divine Shield + Taunt can greatly impede incoming face damage if your opponent doesn't have Silence/hard removal ready.

Between the Feral Spirits, could I drop the Sen'jins all together? Meaning replace the Sen'jins with the Sunwalkers. That would free me up to add Lava Burst and another Legendary. That would allow me to add Cairne though I don't want to overload the six slot and it's getting pretty crowded which would limit my early game, and perhaps impede my draws and mulligans.
Edited by Peripatetic on 6/21/2014 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well officially a shaman now, lightning storm overkilled what it could and under shot what I needed dead. In the end 2 to 1 life total against a hunter and i was one damage short.
Edited by Peripatetic on 6/21/2014 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/21/2014 09:42 AMPosted by Peripatetic

Between the Feral Spirits, could I drop the Sen'jins all together? Meaning replace the Sen'jins with the Sunwalkers. That would free me up to add Lava Burst and another Legendary. That would allow me to add Cairne though I don't want to overload the six slot and it's getting pretty crowded which would limit my early game, and perhaps impede my draws and mulligans.

If you're aiming for Midrange deck, you probably shouldn't get more than five 5-6 or higher Mana cards. Six cards would be the absolute highest I'd ever consider, Shaman doesn't have the card draw to gamble with many expensive cards.

I'd stick with Sen'Jins for now and see how they work.
Reply Quote
Not a huge priority but maybe something to aim for would be a bloodmage thalanos, if you are freeing up a legendary spot - I realise you dont have one but they really are cool. I have run Cairne in the deck before too, 2 yetis for the cost of 1.5 is astounding value but eventually I moved him out for the same reason, too many 6 drops.

Having said that I have had some success with a deck that stalls up to the later game, with ragnaros, alakir and cairne (you could sub alakir for sylvanas (which would actually be quite good come to think of it))
Reply Quote
Okay this is where the deck stands at the moment.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=53198/godspeed

I'm going to see how it shapes up in some more matches but so far so good. The pacing seems right and I'm not stumbling over dead turns. One thing I am curious about is the Unbound Elemental. Yes I understand they are powerful but I'm wondering If I run enough Overload to warrant two of them. Just a thought.

06/21/2014 12:43 PMPosted by Henros
(you could sub alakir for sylvanas (which would actually be quite good come to think of it))

Now that you mention it I'm thinking about the possibilities too. I picked up Al'Akir, I drew a golden King Krush and I'm just not a vanity card person. I also threw Cairne in as well. I would love to fit her in but I really don't want to go over six. The Sunwalkers are absolute monsters especially if you drop Ancestral spirit on them, and the free nuke from Fire Elementals is always welcome.
Edited by Peripatetic on 6/22/2014 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, definitely a good start mate.

If you want to check out stream "ajayxd" on twitch.tv, you can watch some games and commentary by ajay.
Reply Quote
My spell druid can do okay against a miracle rogue.
Reply Quote
I LOVE Faerie Dragons! I run them in most of my decks. However I'm wondering if Argent Squire is more effective. I've heard both of them suggested in the same sort of early game use. I'm wondering if there is a consensus or proof that suggest you should favor one over the other.

The Faerie Dragon is wonderful when the opponent is leaning on removal to take control, however the Argent Squire fits the curve if the ideal would be to drop Squire, Flametongue, then Feral.

The deck is playing out very well against all classes, special thanks to Farq Al'Akir is ripping it up for me and since you can draw the game out with Shaman he shows up quite a bit.
Edited by Peripatetic on 6/24/2014 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Welcome to Shaman! You picked IMO the best and most fun class to play. As a shaman you have lots of play styles available to you.

You deck is pretty solid. Only card missing to make your deck even more ominous would be Doomhammer. Unless you run weird decks like me. Doomhammer and Al'Akir are staple cards for most shaman decks! In fact the 1 and 2 spot in ranked legend are shamans. Who both use Al'Akir and Doomhammer.

Welcome aboard!
Reply Quote
06/24/2014 04:46 PMPosted by xpowderx
You deck is pretty solid. Only card missing to make your deck even more ominous would be Doomhammer.

I have two of them I'm just not sure what to switch them for. Are they an upgrade for the Stormforged? I tend to lean on my minions and totems early game. In fact I tend to use my Stormforged during the mid game so it sounds like it's a pretty simple swap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]