Deck help vs Miracle Rogue and Frost Mage

Hi Shamans

I'm currently hovering around rank 8 and 7 with this deck:

http://i.imgur.com/pFe58Ok.jpg

It does quite well vs most decks, but I can't seem to be able to beat the standard miracle or freeze mages. Is there any hope for a shaman deck like this to be able to do it? What tips or changes can you offer?
Reply Quote
Well your deck looks fine and you have 2 squires and 2 flametongues and 1 Donghammer - these are your key cards.

Best advice is just to race them. squire + totem + flametongue can suddenly be doing alot of damage by turn 3, as can feral spirits + flametongue.

If you can get some early game damage like I describe above and then get out Doomhammer on turn 5 or even with coin on turn 4 then you can pretty much usually win - just go for face.

Otherwise, neither of these are easy matchups if the game drags on, since they will eventually outdraw you (MR) or just play delaying tactics (frost mage: doomsayer, blizzard, ice blocks) until they have the burst to win.
Edited by FarqTheOrc on 6/23/2014 2:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As Farq said, you need to get early game board presence and race them. Mulligan for early minions.

Your deck looks pretty standard. You may have too many 3 mana cards. You could probably toss the lightning storms as they don't help too much in miracle/freeze match ups.

I highly recommend Argent Commanders. They pack a decent punch with 4 damage and charge and the divine shield makes them difficult to deal with. Azure drakes are really popular and are used in both miracle/freeze decks and the commanders deal with them nicely.

If you can fit them in, I'd also recommend harvest golems. They are another 3 mana card, but they are early game board presence and are difficult to remove.
Reply Quote
For those two matchup's you could replace your lightning storms. For everything else I would suggest dropping one or both lava bursts and replacing with chillwind yeti's
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 12:27 AMPosted by Antisceptic
Hi Shamans

I'm currently hovering around rank 8 and 7 with this deck:

http://i.imgur.com/pFe58Ok.jpg

It does quite well vs most decks, but I can't seem to be able to beat the standard miracle or freeze mages. Is there any hope for a shaman deck like this to be able to do it? What tips or changes can you offer?

For me, playing these decks feels mostly random. If you get the right cards early enough, I'd say we're favored. But it only takes a little bad luck to completely swing the match.

With rogues, you have to have an answer for Auctioneer the exact turn it is dropped. But you also need the rogue to not have a Conceal to protect it. If they do, sometimes a Lightning Storm can save you. But it's not likely, since you need spell damage on the board for that to work.

Against mages, it seems to depend on how many freezes they draw early. I can never win if they draw all six in the top 15 cards. It's not possible to beat the Alexstraza + spell combo through that many freezes. But if they only draw a few freezes, this is another match I think we're favored in.
Reply Quote
Since you can't predict in advance whether or not you'll be facing those opponents, I don't think you can get away with ditching lightning storm. That card is just too good vs. zoo (and other decks), which is pretty common at just about all levels. Also good at *possibly* taking out a stealth Gadgetzan.
Reply Quote
Remember when a mage freezes your minions, you can earth shock them to wake them up and whack face.

There arent so many other earth shock targets that a frost mage plays, other than acolytes and doomsayers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]