Why is Hex so cheap

What, a 0/1 taunt is supposed to be really valuable to me?

Like do Shamans ever say "i'd really like to Hex here but giving him a 0/1 taunt is too risky"
Reply Quote
Yes. If you don't have board, Hex is really bad because you're removing one minion in exchange for giving them protection for another.
Reply Quote
cast power of the wild on it and go for face.

and it actually protects your minions so its not that bad :P
Reply Quote
Yes, if the opponent is on 8HP and has a taunted molten giant or ancient of war up and you have doomhammer + rockbiter, hexing it gives them a taunt and prevents you getting the kill on them. Polymorph would allow you to finish them which is why it costs 1 more.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:28 AMPosted by JackD
Yes. If you don't have board, Hex is really bad because you're removing one minion in exchange for giving them protection for another.

Indeed. I would never hex ragnaros if I had no board control and it was only minion on board...
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:33 AMPosted by Geezuz
06/25/2014 10:28 AMPosted by JackD

Indeed. I would never hex ragnaros if I had no board control and it was only minion on board...

That's an entirely different scenario.
Reply Quote
A 0/1 taunt still needs to be removed which means you have to waste an attack removing it. And can still be buffed. Against a pally for example leaving that frog on the board can give them a taunt yeti next turn. A priest can turn it into a 3/3 or even a 5/5 taunt. And that is only with 3-4 mana. With 5 mana the priest can turn it into a 10/10. 7 mana a 20/20. Gimmicky as hell but you never know how much RNGesus loves your opponent
Edited by squid5580 on 6/25/2014 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:32 AMPosted by Astrohawke
Yes, if the opponent is on 8HP and has a taunted molten giant or ancient of war up and you have doomhammer + rockbiter, hexing it gives them a taunt and prevents you getting the kill on them. Polymorph would allow you to finish them which is why it costs 1 more.

why wouldn't you hex last and kill off the other minions first?
Reply Quote
Hex is the best single target removal in the game. Every class is strong in doing something, so this is fine.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:19 AMPosted by evanct

Like do Shamans ever say "i'd really like to Hex here but giving him a 0/1 taunt is too risky"

No, because anything worth Hexing is more dangerous than a 0/1 Taunt. So what? They spend mana and a card to do something, it's not supposed to be worse than not doing anything, that's asinine. It's still worse (usually) than removing the minion entirely, which is why it's cheaper than a card that actually does remove the minion entirely. It's also still worse than leaving them a minion you can usually ignore entirely with minimal risk like a 1/1 non-Taunt sheep, which is why it's cheaper than Polymorph.

Your argument is stupid. If you don't want people to think you are stupid too, find a better one.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:41 AMPosted by squid5580
A 0/1 taunt still needs to be removed which means you have to waste an attack removing it. And can still be buffed. Against a pally for example leaving that frog on the board can give them a taunt yeti next turn. A priest can turn it into a 3/3 or even a 5/5 taunt. And that is only with 3-4 mana. With 5 mana the priest can turn it into a 10/10. 7 mana a 20/20. Gimmicky as hell but you never know how much RNGesus loves your opponent

You still have to waste mana or a minion when you polymorph something too.
Reply Quote
Assassinate is 5 mana and it leaves nothing on the board.

Polymorph is 4 mana and leaves a 1/1 minion you have to then remove with 2 mana afterwards or another minion

Hex is 3 mana and leaves a 0/1 taunt. The taunt is more annoying than a 1/1 minion.

That's how it goes.
Reply Quote
hex & polymorph are much better against deathrattle minions, since assassinate CAN leave a minion on the board or at least trigger the rattle.

With Naxx coming up & a bunch of deathrattle minions are being included I imagine the already-slow assassinate will be even less often used in constructed.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:34 AMPosted by JackD
06/25/2014 10:33 AMPosted by Geezuz

That's an entirely different scenario.

Correct. Geezuz reading comprehension is poor.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:04 AMPosted by Dakarian

Polymorph is 4 mana and leaves a 1/1 minion you have to then remove with 2 mana afterwards or another minion

Hex is 3 mana and leaves a 0/1 taunt. The taunt is more annoying than a 1/1 minion.

That's how it goes.

This.

Where is the difficulty in understanding this?
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:04 AMPosted by Dakarian

That's how it goes.

I couldn't put it any better. I've lost count of how many times I've swung a game through my opponent forgetting to attack other minions before using Hex, not a risk associated with polymorph.
Reply Quote
imo it is weird that a card that removes AND silences your minion costs 2 less than a card that just plainly destroys it
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:59 AMPosted by ToroSedato
Hex is the best single target removal in the game. Every class is strong in doing something, so this is fine.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 10:19 AMPosted by evanct

^ Yes, they (we?) do. They also say, "Should I save Hex for something else? Is he baiting me?"
Reply Quote
You lot forget that you can use Hex defensively.
No taunt, and the opponent is threatening lethal?

Call in a totem, and hex that totem unless it's a taunt totem, or hex another totem.

I consider Hex the singlemost powerful individual piece of removal in the game.
Paladins can buff it, sure -- but they spend a card doing so. 4 mana for Blessing of Kings turns it into a... chillwind yeti.
Then you can Earth Shock it for the kill, or otherwise silence it to make it utterly useless.

1: Hex
2: Execute
3: Polymorph
4: Fireball --> 6 damage for 4 mana or 7 damage for 6 mana
5: Assassinate

Power Words don't make the list, because everyone knows you play 4 attack minions versus priest, or cheat minions into having 4 attack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]