Why is Hex so cheap

06/25/2014 12:23 PMPosted by Jacob
imo it is weird that a card that removes AND silences your minion costs 2 less than a card that just plainly destroys it

It doesn't fully remove it. Further, it is only an advantage over outright destruction to transform a minion if the minion has a Deathrattle. Most minions, it turns out, do not. I'm pretty sure this will be true even after Naxxramas is released.

Stop crying about Hex, it makes you look dumb.
Reply Quote
So are we mindlessly defending hex now?
"Polymorph is better because I forget to attack first before I hex"
"Paladins can buff the frog and that's why hex is okay"
"Transform is worse than removing the minion altogether"
This forum is hilarious.

On topic: probably because the designers thought shamans need it. Possibly since there are overloads in work they gave the newbies a chance to always have mana for a hard removal.
Reply Quote
I think either hex should cost 4 or polymorph should cost 3 as well...I think the latter is better.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 12:38 PMPosted by Moncrief
Stop crying about Hex, it makes you look dumb.
"Durr someone stated a different opinion than me, I will call him on "crying". That will make me look tough. I don't think any card is good or bad and come to the forum only to be contrary to everything"
You are an embarrassment.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 12:40 PMPosted by Yagami
So are we mindlessly defending hex now?
"Polymorph is better because I forget to attack first before I hex"
"Paladins can buff the frog and that's why hex is okay"
"Transform is worse than removing the minion altogether"
This forum is hilarious.

On topic: probably because the designers thought shamans need it. Possibly since there are overloads in work they gave the newbies a chance to always have mana for a hard removal.

So you belittle everyone else for explaining why Hex is fine and then you go on to explain why Hex is fine?
Reply Quote
1 Mana - Naturalize gives 2 cards (bad)
3 Mana - Hex leaves behind a 0/1 with taunt (very good)
4 Mana - Polymorph leaves behind a 1/1 (very good)
5 Mana - Assassinate leaves behind nothing (reasonable)

Now to your original question. Imagine this scenario:

You have two health, an 8/8 with taunt on the board and a bluegill warrior in hand.
Your opponent has 2 health, 6 mana and 2 cards.
Card 1 is a bluegill warrior
Card 2 is any card from the list above.

Which of the ones above are you hoping he has? In short, yes, there are times that the taunt comes in handy. People desperate for taunt sometimes hex their own totems.
Edited by Jayleb on 6/25/2014 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 12:46 PMPosted by Lookit
So you belittle everyone else for explaining why Hex is fine and then you go on to explain why Hex is fine?
If you think hex is fine because people cannot play right, what answer do you freakin expect? We all know (I hope) that the quotes I stated are absolutely false and are just random attempts of people to sound cool by being contrarian.
Do you honestly believe assassinate is better than hex?
Edited by Yagami on 6/25/2014 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
At glance i misread the title, 1 letter difference matters, hex is fine it punishes playing big guys, there are countless things in this game that do that cheaply.
Reply Quote
Hex only seems OP from the perspective of a mid-range player. Be in the Shaman's shoes facing an aggro player whos swarming with low mana drops, then you'll quickly realize why cards like Hex aren't so great.
Reply Quote
The frog is a beast, so beware of its hidden strength!
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 12:30 PMPosted by Frostraven
You lot forget that you can use Hex defensively.
No taunt, and the opponent is threatening lethal?

Call in a totem, and hex that totem unless it's a taunt totem, or hex another totem.

I've never seen a situation where I've wanted to do this, nor do I think it would make that big of a difference. Not to say it wouldn't happen, but that sounds like giving hex a little too much credit.
Reply Quote
What is on point, as far as Hex goes, is that there is a stat 'cost' associated with the taunt creature that Team Dev decided was worth making Hex cost 1 less than Poly. Its also in line with the Mage Hero power being directly able to manage the 1/1 while Shaman needs RNG to have his hero power directly deal with the 0/1 Taunt during the same turn.

Assassinate is a bit awkward and costly in comparison, but its not like Rogue is hurting in the 'do X damage to a target' category in various cost effective ways.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:04 AMPosted by Dakarian
Assassinate is 5 mana and it leaves nothing on the board.

Polymorph is 4 mana and leaves a 1/1 minion you have to then remove with 2 mana afterwards or another minion

Hex is 3 mana and leaves a 0/1 taunt. The taunt is more annoying than a 1/1 minion.

That's how it goes.

But assassinate doesn't ignore deathrattles, Hex does. It's silence and destruction rolled into one card with a very small drawback. Hex is without a doubt the best hard removal in the entire game(with Polymorph a close second). Considering I play shaman, this makes me happy, but I can definitely understand when people get annoyed.
Reply Quote
1. The minion has to be worth atleast 3mana to make hex worth something.
2. By playing Hex your forfeiting attacking, adding a minion to board.
3. Giving the opponent a taunt card.

Yes its a good card but its not god-like.
Reply Quote
I would rather see my enemy minion as a 0/1 Taunter than a 1/1 token :-) Besides, it is 1 mana less than the other removal :-)
Edited by xpowderx on 6/25/2014 10:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A taunt is always a taunt even if 0/1 and requires the shaman to perform an additional action to remove it. In best case scenario you can kill it with a 1/1 attack, but sometimes all you have on board is a Fire Elemental and 6 damage go wasted on a frog.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]