You really shouldn't be able to...

This has really been bothering me, and I wanted to see if anyone else shared my frustration.

You really shouldn't be able to play cards that require you to discard if you don't have any cards in your hand to discard. This is especially true in Warlock decks because they have so much draw power. Warlock decks can completely overextend to gain control of the board, then they get to play broken cards without discarding, which gives them even better control of the board, then they can just use their superior draw power to regain card advantage. The best way to fix this is to make discarding a cost of playing the card. Like, you literally can't play the card unless you first discard the appropriate amount of cards.

Am I completely wrong about this, or what?
Reply Quote
Except, the discard is not a cost requirement, it's a battlecry effect. For example, Abusive Sgt is able to be cast on an empty board without anyone to buff. So perfectly legal.

This thread has been brought up time and time again, and instead of contributing to an existing discussion which has been beat to death and explained, you start up another one. Good job!
Reply Quote
I understand the battlecry mechanics. What I'm asking is if it should be reworked so people can't play the cards without discarding. I'm not arguing that it's not a legal move, I'm saying it should be changed so it isn't.
Reply Quote
How about you read any of the other million threads about the Warlock's discard mechanic already posted on these forums rather than liter them with yet another 1 of these utterly pointless threads? All the answers to your wonders have already been posted in enough of those million other threads, so go ahead and look them up.
Reply Quote
06/26/2014 07:14 AMPosted by Alesandor
I understand the battlecry mechanics. What I'm asking is if it should be reworked so people can't play the cards without discarding. I'm not arguing that it's not a legal move, I'm saying it should be changed so it isn't.

It shouldn't be changed. That is the answer to your question. If any of the Warlocks Discard Effect cards are too strong, the proper way to deal with it would be to change their values (lower their stats/damage/etc.) rather than to try and force the Discard to become a "cost."
Reply Quote
There are a LOT of cards with drawbacks and ways around those drawbacks, or even ways to make them work to your advantage. For example, Whirlwind for a Warrior is cheaper than Arcane Explosion because it hits everything, including your own minions. But toss down a Frothing Berserker and hitting everything is now beneficial.

Circle of healing costs 0 because it heals everything, so play it when you are the only one with damage minions and you circumvent the drawback that makes it so cheap.

King Mukla is supposed to be so cheap because he gives your opponent 2 bananas. But a Paladin can use Divine Favor to gain an extra two cards from it, turning the drawback into an advantage.

Leeroy gives your opponent 2 whelps, which can and often is used in conjunction with Unleash the Hounds for an extra 2 dogs.

Not discarding anything requires you to empty your hand and most likely make sub-optimal plays. Plus, you cannot do it on turn 5, so you have to wait an extra turn to play the Doomguard if you want to avoid the discard (at least one turn, if you only have 1 mana minion). Unless you're stupid lucky and you topdeck it with an empty hand, but if we're going to cry about super good luck then I have some Priests I'd like you to meet.
Reply Quote
06/28/2014 08:14 PMPosted by Zoid
Plus, you cannot do it on turn 5, so you have to wait an extra turn to play the Doomguard if you want to avoid the discard (at least one turn, if you only have 1 mana minion).

To be fair: If you're going second you could coin it out. You'd need at most* 3 2-drops and at least* 5 1-drops though (other than the Doomguard). Even without top-decking Doomguard on turn 5 precisely, that's some impressive luck given the number of 2-drops and 3-drops (and 4-drops) normally in Zoo. With that many 1-drops, you'll also be trading inefficiently (most likely, Abusive and Squire are pretty darn awesome for that though) and/or AoE'd to oblivion.

Optionally, you could embrace the Discard effect of Soulfire, hoping it misses your DG or that you'll topdeck it later.

*(Assuming Wisp and other 0-cost cards are not utilized).
Edited by Tsenzei on 6/28/2014 8:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/28/2014 08:45 PMPosted by Tsenzei

To be fair: If you're going second you could coin it out. You'd need at most* 3 2-drops and at least* 5 1-drops though (other than the Doomguard). Even without top-decking Doomguard on turn 5 precisely, that's some impressive luck given the number of 2-drops and 3-drops (and 4-drops) normally in Zoo. With that many 1-drops, you'll also be trading inefficiently (most likely, Abusive and Squire are pretty darn awesome for that though) and/or AoE'd to oblivion.

Optionally, you could embrace the Discard effect of Soulfire, hoping it misses your DG or that you'll topdeck it later.

*(Assuming Wisp and other 0-cost cards are not utilized).

Heh, point taken. Though again I point out that if we're going to complain about stupidly good luck, let me tell you about the time a Priest Mindgamed Ragnaros on turn 4 and Jaraxxus on turn 5. Yes, this really did happen to me, it was so absurdly lucky that I had to just laugh.
Reply Quote
LoL.

It could have been worse though. They could have Mindgamed a second Rag.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]