Zoo is a necessary evil

Generally people hate zoo because of it's braindead playstyle, but I personally really appreciate the players who forfeit playing a fun and interactive style to instead just ladder zoolock all the way until they plateau.

Why? Because it keeps the stupid, gimmicky decks in check (and mostly out of ranked). Without zoo, think how many times you'd see people Mill rogues or Alarm-o-bot decks. When the gimmick actually works, these are much more frustrating to lose to, but thanks to those players who suffer through the boredom of playing zoolock, most of the gimmicky players never make it below rank 20 and stay out of our lives.

So today I salute you, Mr. braindead zoo player. You're the hero Hearthstone needs.
Edited by spald on 6/25/2014 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just being an !@# but I play a Mill Rogue deck and absolutely own Zoo 80% of the time....

It's one of my best match ups.....currently rank 8.

Not sure if you are correct on this....
Edited by Eye0fGnarl on 6/25/2014 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree, let us coexist with our animal brethren
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:06 AMPosted by Eye0fGnarl
Just being an !@# but I play a Mill Rogue deck and absolutely own Zoo 80% of the time....

I'm not going to call you a liar but I'm very suspicious about the validity of what you just stated.

IF you beat Zoo at an 80% clip (which I highly doubt)
Since Zoo IS one of the most played decks from Ranks 5-15

This leads me to conclude that either you are not maintaining the Win Rate you claim or that you are being untrue about your Rank. If you had that Winrate versus Zoo you would be much higher Ranked. Feel free to provide stats and a screenshot and I'll happily admit that I was wrong.
Reply Quote
If it wasn't for the braindead zoo player (which by and large doesn't exist, btw), it wouldn't be gimicky decks. It'd be even more miracle rogues and freeze mage and ramp druids and control warriors and handlocks and whatever they call those shamans.
Reply Quote
What makes a deck "gimmicky"?

Is zoo gimmicky for using nothing but 1-4 costs? Are secret decks gimmicky for using secrets? Is my warrior Weapon deck gimmicky because I focus on weapons? Is my thief priest deck gimmicky because I run mind vision, cabal shadowprist, mind control, thought steal, and shadow madness?

If a deck is built around an idea or theme, and then uses that theme for maximum effect then it's a good deck. No deck is "gimmicky" or "Stupid" because if they're winning the match they're certainly effective, and no less legit then what's FoM.
Reply Quote
Zoo is actually really hard to play excellently. Easy to play good, but really hard to play at its max potential. I huge part of this is how flexible the deck is. It has literally four core cards, two doomguards and two soufires. The rest are optional, and depend on the meta. So modifying the deck to the current meta is really hard.

Anyway I love zoo, played over 1000 games with it and I still don't feel like I know it all the way through.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:23 AMPosted by Jaxler
What makes a deck "gimmicky"?

I think a gimmick deck would be a deck that relies on a very small number of cards in order to win and performs very badly when those cards are not drawn.

For instance, a deck that relies on Alarm-O-Bot pulling out big guys like Deathwing/Giants/etc. very early. It's a gimmick, and if you can get a turn 3 Deathwing you will likely do pretty well. However, if it doesn't work, likely the deck will do poorly.

I would call Miracle Rogue a gimmick because it relies almost 100% on the Auctioneer. Get the Auctioneer, you'll do well, don't get it and likely you'll lose.

Some gimmicks are just better than others.
Reply Quote
Zoo is sophisticated and elegant, you heathens are simply unable to grasp its subtle strategies.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:12 AMPosted by ImmortalLion
06/25/2014 11:06 AMPosted by Eye0fGnarl

I'm not going to call you a liar but I'm very suspicious about the validity of what you just stated.

IF you beat Zoo at an 80% clip (which I highly doubt)
Since Zoo IS one of the most played decks from Ranks 5-15

This leads me to conclude that either you are not maintaining the Win Rate you claim or that you are being untrue about your Rank. If you had that Winrate versus Zoo you would be much higher Ranked. Feel free to provide stats and a screenshot and I'll happily admit that I was wrong.

Not BS'ing you bro I wreck Zoo a vast majority of the time. Honestly I've been playing mostly on IPAD lately so I haven't been keeping up on my true stats ( I have a tracker on PC). Yes I'm rank 8 and I much prefer playing Zoo but I havent really see them any more often then Druid/Priest/Rogue/Shockadin/Shamen/Mage/Handlock since rank 10 or so....

I have been seeing less and less zoo lately in fact....

Anyway heres my deck list if you want to try it....(it's dust/Legendary heavy but I have been playing since open beta in January and I have dropped a few bones here and there in that time as well)

Shadow step X 2
Backstab X 2
Cold Blood X 2
Deadly poison X 2
Eviserate X 2
Sap X 1
Kobold Geo X 1
Bloddd mage Thalanos*
Lowalker Cho*
Blade Furry X 2
Shiv X 1
Partitions Blade X 2
Van Cleef*
King Mukla*
Fan of Knives X 1
Si7 X 2
Coldlight Oracle X 2
Arcane Golmn X 1
Lerroy*
Azure Drake X 2
Edited by Eye0fGnarl on 6/25/2014 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Zoo is completely unnecessary, and completely lame.

By turn 5, all a zoolock is doing is vomiting out cards as he draws them...

Case in point, just lost my first match to zoolock in the last 6 matches (out of 8 matches played, yeah, go zoo noobs)... why? Because on turn 6 with 1 card in his hand and a 2/3 on the board (defender of argus with no friends because I'd killed them), I have 15 life... he plays power overwhelming, then the doomguard he top-decked, and then... the soulfire he topdecks with his hero power.

He was at 13 and I had a a 4/2, 4/3 and 3/2 on the board, with plenty of direct damage to overkill him in hand.

15 damage, no skill, no planning, no strategy, just vomit cards as fast as they come. Way to draw lucky with zoo....
Reply Quote
The purpose of zoo is to make people mulligan away their BGH.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 04:45 PMPosted by Died
He was at 13 and I had a a 4/2, 4/3 and 3/2 on the board, with plenty of direct damage to overkill him in hand.

15 damage, no skill, no planning, no strategy, just vomit cards as fast as they come. Way to draw lucky with zoo....

You say that like Zoo is the only deck ever capable of pulling out top-deck wins. Or, for that matter, that what happened is actually typical.

If any of the three cards you had in play were a taunt, you would have won. If any of the cards you had could have been used to kill off the 2/3, or to heal yourself or give yourself armor, you would have one.

I don't know if you played "greedy" (which would still have been justified btw, in that situation simply because that Zoo draw order is very much atypical, so it's not strictly a bad play, just more risky than alternatives) and developed your board rather than dealing with the 2/3, or if you simply didn't have a choice about it, but sometimes things like this happen. It's a part of CCGs like Hearthstone and MTG and Shadow Era in a general sense. Sometimes you just get unlucky, or your opponent just gets lucky.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 11:36 AMPosted by Phoenix
Zoo is actually really hard to play excellently. Easy to play good, but really hard to play at its max potential. I huge part of this is how flexible the deck is. It has literally four core cards, two doomguards and two soufires. The rest are optional, and depend on the meta. So modifying the deck to the current meta is really hard.

Anyway I love zoo, played over 1000 games with it and I still don't feel like I know it all the way through.

It really, really isn't that hard to play. Generally by turn 5 the warlock has vomited out his entire hand, after that he's left with the choice: vomit out 2 cards, or vomit out 1 card and save 2 life.

Vomit some more cards is generally what happens.
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 09:54 PMPosted by Tsenzei
06/25/2014 04:45 PMPosted by Died

You say that like Zoo is the only deck ever capable of pulling out top-deck wins. Or, for that matter, that what happened is actually typical.

If any of the three cards you had in play were a taunt, you would have won. If any of the cards you had could have been used to kill off the 2/3, or to heal yourself or give yourself armor, you would have one.

I don't know if you played "greedy" (which would still have been justified btw, in that situation simply because that Zoo draw order is very much atypical, so it's not strictly a bad play, just more risky than alternatives) and developed your board rather than dealing with the 2/3, or if you simply didn't have a choice about it, but sometimes things like this happen. It's a part of CCGs like Hearthstone and MTG and Shadow Era in a general sense. Sometimes you just get unlucky, or your opponent just gets lucky.

I generally don't play greedy against zoo... I play removal almost completely, and let him damage himself down to near death.

Bottom line about it is - zoo is all about topdecking - which is just luck. He was less than halfway through his deck, and had drawn all of his key cards... not much you can do about epic luck.
Reply Quote
I recently made a Reynad Zoo deck and watched some Youtube videos.

As a Druid, my win rate was so so, of course depending on what my deck had or drew. Needed to know WTF to do with all the Zoo.

Played it mostly to complete the '2 cost minion daily'. It is a forgiving deck, allowed me to cover up alot of mistakes. The RNG portion of the deck was easy to mitigate. It was easy to master, but needed to learn/watch coaching to play it to its max potential and especially importance of placing minions, trading efficiently and board control.

Ran into decks built to shut down zoo, it was painful. No free/auto wins when decks are prepared for it. It was one of the more easier decks I have played to shut down.
Reply Quote
06/26/2014 12:10 AMPosted by Died
Bottom line about it is - zoo is all about topdecking - which is just luck. He was less than halfway through his deck, and had drawn all of his key cards... not much you can do about epic luck.

I still believe the skill ceiling for Zoo is higher than most people give it credit for, but the skill floor is certainly quite low, I'll grant, and yeah, there's not much anyone can do about epic luck. It's just that epic luck is a thing regardless.

*shrug*

Just how I see things.

For the record, I do not believe that Zoo, specifically, is necessary (or evil). I do think that Aggro, Aggro Control, and weenie Rush should all be viable decktypes though, and that at least one of those is "necessary" at any given time, simply to keep the pace of the game up and avoid late-game-only decks (and thus more limited play options even compared to currently).
Edited by Tsenzei on 6/26/2014 11:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
!@#$ zoo. Play a real deck chuds.
Reply Quote
I prefer to roll my !@#$ cheeks on the keyboard when I play zoo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]