Shaman vs. Shockadin

I think my win-rate as Shaman is lower than 2-3%
Reply Quote
Shouldn't your name be RolandofGilead or RolandDeschain?

Or both too long?
Edited by Winstiford on 6/23/2014 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 08:56 PMPosted by Winstiford

Or both too long?

Didn't actually try them, but now I wish I had.
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 08:53 PMPosted by RolandGilead
I think my win-rate as Shaman is lower than 2-3%

It can be a little tricky but once I played it a few times I now look forward to the matchup.

It's by no means favorable per se, but is a very fun fight none the less and my winrates is good.

Against better judgement, don't be tempted into playing Earthshock into Leper or Hoarder as bizarre as this sounds unless you are holding two of them. You ideally want to save Earthshock for the inevitable +3attadk buff(can't remember right now), especially if they play it on their own Squire. However, I will sometime go ahead and use it on a Lepr Gnome if I start getting my board developed a bit.

Don't be afraid to wrecklessly play out your threats and removal, for example, don't hesitate to Lightning Bolt a small minion, even a Silver Hand(especially of you have Unbound out already) as you kinda want to get rid of your cards to trivialize Divine Favors impact.

It's generally not a good strategy against other rush decks but if you get into a position where you are both top dekong you are gonna be able to win out all day with your superior threats and control.

This is a matchup where Argent Squires, Totems and particularly Flametongue really shine. Try to mull for these plus some removal is always nice.

As always against little minion spam, Storm is crucial( even though I will often throw it back) it is, IMHO, better to draw into Storm and mull for Squires and Flametongue Totem super aggressively.

It can be tough to get Ubound to stick due to Truesilver but if you can Unbound into any overload, particularly Wolves or some Lightning removal, you will be in good shape.

Avenging Wrath can be a pain in the !@# but I always try to get down a Yeti or Fire Ele by that point to soak up some of the damage but hope it survives.

As always, play defensively, while playing your actual real threats out on curve when the oppurtunity shows til you see the opening for Flametongue/Rock/insects or Rock/Doom.

Lack of heal is very distinct in this matchup but it's totally winnable. At least 50/50.

Edit: Indeed, don't be afraid to use your Hex on nearly anything in this matchup.

G'luck. May the elephants ride you!
Edited by Intoshadows on 6/24/2014 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That deck is mean to kill handlock and miracle. A shaman is by no means a bad matchup given the amount of early efficient removal a shaman has.

Earth shock a leper gnome is ok since you also have hex. Hex doesn't get anything bigger than a blessing of mighted minion anyway and comes out as soon as he buffs something on turn two or three. You would have save quite a bit of health if you earth shock the turn one leaper gnome.

It is very important not to give paladin any big divine favor draws, their gas will run out if they don't and that is when you can counter attack.

Keep a huge board as much as possible with totems to shield you from the averaging wrath that is coming on turn 6.
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 09:13 PMPosted by RolandGilead
06/23/2014 08:56 PMPosted by Winstiford

Or both too long?

Didn't actually try them, but now I wish I had.

lol I was considering a Dark Tower reference btag, Mordred, Shardik or Maturin, but couldn't decide which one so went for a Family Guy one instead.
Reply Quote
There is a reason why Shaman can't be the main stream and always stay at 4th or 5th place in all classes, because Shaman is extremely vulnerable against face rush thanks to the lack of healing abilities.

Sure you can build sort of an anti-aggro deck with Yeti, Taz'dingo, and Pyro, but in exchange you lose late-game burst, and yet Shaman anti-aggro is not that good compared to other ones.
Reply Quote
My win rate against Shockadin went down last night. I was 0-2 vs. Shockadin.

Now it's like 2-2.8%
Reply Quote
L2P
Reply Quote
Posting in a hidden Dark Tower thread.

Ka is a wheel, do you kennit?
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 12:15 PMPosted by Mirø
Posting in a hidden Dark Tower thread.

Ka is a wheel, do you kennit?

Thankee-sai
Reply Quote
To deal with Shockadin I created a Shaman Deck that incorporated lower cost minions (mostly 3mana minions, argent squires, and leper gnomes) - and made sure to keep my hand as empty as possible each turn to prevent the Paladin from getting value out of Divine Favor.

Lightning Storm and a Mind control tech or two will shut down their initial rush. Doomhammer +rockbiter burns them fairly nicely.

Without value from Divine Favor, Aggro Paladins loose steam after turn 6
Reply Quote
06/25/2014 12:54 PMPosted by Eunomios
To deal with Shockadin I created a Shaman Deck that incorporated lower cost minions (mostly 3mana minions, argent squires, and leper gnomes) - and made sure to keep my hand as empty as possible each turn to prevent the Paladin from getting value out of Divine Favor.

Lightning Storm and a Mind control tech or two will shut down their initial rush. Doomhammer +rockbiter burns them fairly nicely.

Without value from Divine Favor, Aggro Paladins loose steam after turn 6

I understand that this would improve my chances, but it would lower my chances in any other match-up, even control Paladin.

I don't see Shockadin that much to warrant altering my deck. So, maybe it's not a Shaman thing, just that my deck is geared for heavier control.
Reply Quote
I play at a faster pace, the main thing you want to do is keep your hand empty. Their win con is Divine favour, if they can draw 3+ cards off it you're usually going to lose.

I also run earthen ring farseers in my "slow" deck. It's a solid card vs aggro since it heals for 3 while putting a solid body on the field. In my other deck, my burst deck, I just race them. Sure they have all this charge, I have Leeroy, Windfury, Lava burst, Doomhammer and 2 rockbiters.

I'm still getting used to the match-up, but these are the things that have helped.
Reply Quote
If you face too many Shockadins, exchange Unbound Elementals for Harvester Golems.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]