Dealing with freeze mazes

I am around rank 13 for the new season (rank 7 last season) and I had to deal with freeze mages quite a lot for the last couple of weeks. I would like to share with other fellow paladins on how I have dealt with their strategies.

Firstly I keep any healing card in the beginning. The healings I have are:

1x Holly Light
2x Farseer
2x Truesilver
2x Guardian of Kings
1x Lay On Hands
1x Alextrasza

And then you play hide and seek with the freeze mage.

You keep your cards and try to maybe drop one or two minions that do not really worth much against mage and wait until he uses doomsayer a couple of times.

One more detail you do not use much of your healings until he uses Alextrasza.

The moment he does that you heal and remove Alex (Big Game, PeaceKeeper, equality+combo).

Then you wait for pyros, freezing spells, fireballs (keep healing) or antonidas (remove him right away).

In between try to break his secrets and get him to 0 cards from overdrawing.

Good Luck and enjoy the game !!!
Reply Quote
I used to hate freeze mages, but since I've learned as long as you heal after they Alexstrasza, I don't think i've lost to one. It's also fun to emote, "I am sorry" when they are trying to pull off their 6 card, OTK combo when you are at full health.
Reply Quote
I run almost the same heal set as you and employ the same strategy against mages. Instead of 2 GoK's I run 1 GoK and a priestess of elune (I think that's the right name 6 mana night elf 5/4 that heals for 4?) it is a lesser minion but sometimes I need a heal on turn 6! Due to the 5 damage it usually scares them enough to make them deal with it right away.

I have a harder time with priests than any other class. It is a very delicate balance and hoping they don't steal your best cards with their thieving ways. I haven't been playing long enough to know if they are just the class that Paladin doesn't match up well against. It feels as though it always comes down to can they pull off a huge health taunt once I've already cleared the board twice. What is your strategy when playing a thief? Oh, I mean priest. ;)
Reply Quote
I agree Grinch, usually with a freeze Mage you have the time to stack your heal cards and get ready for what comes after they unleash Alex.
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 09:45 AMPosted by TXMoonshine
I have a harder time with priests than any other class.

I would agree with you. Control paladin's match up against control priest is a scary thing.
We usually reach the end of our decks and only some subtle moves make the difference.
Of course you should always be ready for their combo mind blast + holy fire at the end.
Also grubbing your minions or thought stealing your cards is always painful.
In general my problem with control paladin is the lack of burst damage like other classes (e.g. druid,
priest) . We cannot rely on 16 - 20 damage like other classes can to finish the match up. I always
end up playing the waiting game.
Edited by SoToGR on 7/3/2014 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have had a priest copy my Ysera and steal her when I play her.... Can't really beat two of them if equality is gone and I only carry one silence.
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 11:26 AMPosted by TXMoonshine
if equality is gone

I know the feeling. Sometimes I wish paladin had 4 equalities instead of 2. I am struggling to reserve them until the very end... and like poker, I am trying to bait my opponent to drop as many heavy minions as possible to get maximum value :(
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 09:45 AMPosted by TXMoonshine
I have a harder time with priests than any other class. It is a very delicate balance and hoping they don't steal your best cards with their thieving ways.

I thought I was the only one. Every single one of my games against Priest ends in fatigue since I have to sit on my Tirion and other high cost cards. I'm too afraid to add Ysera to my deck because of all the Priests on the current ladder.

07/03/2014 01:43 PMPosted by SoToGR
I know the feeling. Sometimes I wish paladin had 4 equalities instead of 2. I am struggling to reserve them until the very end... and like poker, I am trying to bait my opponent to drop as many heavy minions as possible to get maximum value :(

But you end up against someone that knows what they're doing and they just poke you to death with a few mid-game minions. The Pally life is rough.
Reply Quote
That's a LOT of healing, you shouldn't have a problem surviving the burst from the mage. If its a normal freeze mage, without giants, you shouldn't have too much of a trouble, there is absolutely no way then can burn through 30+30 health, even with Alexstrasza. Against giants you should be fine too as long as you have equality and/or peacekeepers.

Try to play as many minions as you can to force him to start using freezes as early as possible (make sure to leave some in hand in case of flamestrike, this means using tokens on every turn; if he fireblasts them every time that's 2 mana less for him to use). Your board should survive the freezes as long as you have answers to the doomsayer. My favorite is Stampeding Kodo - an amazing card to have in your deck, especially due to its synergy with peacekeeper. I'll always keep it in the starting hand against a mage (don't mulligan for it as having enough minions to actually force the doomsayer is more important). Equality can backfire really hard, better save it for Antonidas in case you're unable to clear him otherwise.

I have a harder time with priests than any other class. It is a very delicate balance and hoping they don't steal your best cards with their thieving ways. I haven't been playing long enough to know if they are just the class that Paladin doesn't match up well against. It feels as though it always comes down to can they pull off a huge health taunt once I've already cleared the board twice. What is your strategy when playing a thief? Oh, I mean priest. ;)

Assuming both are playing control, Priests are a fairly good matchup since they are very reactionary and you don't make any big plays early on, whereas late game they run out of answers very quickly. Focus on maintaining the board presence to force them to use their cards, you won't be able to damage them much anyway. GoK's are scary and you can hope to bait out SW:D with them, which allows you to pull out your big guns, though be prepared to deal with your own minion in case they do run Mind Control (which is why you want to delay playing your big legendaries as much as possible, hoping that they will waste MC on a GoK or something). Tirion/Ysera are huge keys to our lategame. They will probably find ways to kill Tirion himself, but its the sword you're most interested in. Ysera is game over for them if they don't run MC or alchemists since there is absolutely no way they can kill it.
If you can fit in a Cairne or Rag its can also be a very tempting card to MC and those are a lot easier to deal with.

Thoughtsteal is bad if they are very lucky to draw your legendaries, but the chance is small enough to not worry about it too much. If it happens, well, tough luck, even the best matchups can lose to bad draws.
Edited by Riv on 7/6/2014 5:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]