Hearthstone in a Nutshell

You win 1 / lose 1 / win 1 / lose 1 / win 2 / lose 3

Bouncing between rank 19 and 20 for eternity.

Somehow people are with legendaries at my rank. lol /fail

Does anyone know good starter Paladin builds to help me break into rank 18 at least?

argh frustrating, running into guys with 2 - 3 legendaries and i am still forcing them into running out of cards. Nearly killing them with my common card deck.

:@
Edited by BigRuski on 7/2/2014 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's the first week of the new season, so competition is more fierce.

Just in case you didn't know, every month your rank gets reset. You start with 1 bonus star for every rank you advanced. For example, someone who finished rank 13 starts the new season at rank 20 with 2 stars.

It's typically slower to advance during the first week. After that, it starts to spread out a bit. Although there are people who purposely lower their rank to the 20-18 range to farm people for the gold hero you get at 500 wins.

As for good builds, if you look around you can find links to "net decks" and modify one based on the cards you have. You can also post your current deck and people will give you advice on it's weaknesses and how to improve it.
Reply Quote
07/02/2014 10:03 PMPosted by Khal
It's the first week of the new season, so competition is more fierce.

Just in case you didn't know, every month your rank gets reset. You start with 1 bonus star for every rank you advanced. For example, someone who finished rank 13 starts the new season at rank 20 with 2 stars.

It's typically slower to advance during the first week. After that, it starts to spread out a bit. Although there are people who purposely lower their rank to the 20-18 range to farm people for the gold hero you get at 500 wins.

As for good builds, if you look around you can find links to "net decks" and modify one based on the cards you have. You can also post your current deck and people will give you advice on it's weaknesses and how to improve it.

Ah ya, you are right, season just started, so all the dudes with stacked decks are working their way up. I was playing on and off with a bunch of different toons but decided Paladin is my favourite playstyle. Control Turtle Paladin with massive heals. 76 HP Paladin on common cards mainly (2 blues and 1 epic)

here is my build

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/paladin#29:2;108:2;142:1;174:2;189:2;191:1;206:1;247:2;260:2;283:2;293:2;310:1;326:1;356:1;383:2;410:1;414:2;473:1;597:1;624:1;

Argent Squire × 1
Elven Archer × 1
Eye for an Eye × 1
Humility × 2
Voodoo Doctor × 1
Argent Protector × 1
Equality × 2
Holy Light × 2
Youthful Brewmaster × 2
Wolfrider × 2
Blessing of Kings × 2
Consecration × 2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta × 1
Truesilver Champion × 2
Abomination × 1
Gurubashi Berserker × 1
Avenging Wrath × 1
Lord of the Arena × 2
Guardian of Kings × 2
Stormwind Champion × 1
Edited by BigRuski on 7/2/2014 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
First I will state I'm not legend rank material or anything, so any advice I give is to be taken with a grain of salt. I do understand a lot of the theory crafting behind the game and such. Also, being your deck, you know why/how you use certain cards and why they're valuable to you. I can only speak from my perspective.

With that said, 2 things literally jumped out at me right away. Your lack of 3 cost cards and high count of 1 cost cards.

I'll go in order.

Humility isn't super useful. It's great if you have no answer to something like a Rag except running all your minions into it, otherwise it will often sit in your hand unused. Aldor Peacekeepers will eventually replace this for you (as it did for me).

Eye for an Eye I would replace. Too easy to counter and there's other cards that will get you better results more often.

Youthful Brewmasters can be great when combo'ed with your 1 drops or Wolfriders, but if you're going for an aggresive deck they slow you down as well.

Wolfriders are basically a Hammer of Wrath that stays on the board if used against a hero but die to anything else.

Abomination I have mixed feelings on. It can be great against rush decks, but is prone to silence.

Gurubashi Berserker can work, but I feel there are better options and it's also prone to silence.

The bad thing about Lord of the Arena is that late game it's easy to kill with only 5 health.

Not that all of the above are bad, but I'll assume you don't have a lot of packs acquired, so here's some basic card recommendations that will most likely help:

1) Chillwind Yeti. 4 Mana 4/5. Great stats for it's cost, and probably one of (if not) the best commons.

2) Shattered Sun Clerics. Works great with tokens and other creatures and can throw your opponent a nice curveball for what they were planning next round.

3) Hammer of Wrath I would recommend for new player decks. A good damage ability with card draw (which you don't have).

In the end, I'd definitely look at getting a few more 3 drops and some of the above suggestions into your deck while trying to maintain a mana curve you're comfortable with. For 2 drops I often use Acidic Swamp Ooze. Looking at the common 2 drops, in your case 1 Ooze and 1 Youthful may be best.

Just my 2 cents which I'm sure if people disagree with they'll correct me.
Reply Quote
As far as I can tell you're going for control rather than aggro, so I'm looking at your deck through that lens.

Eye for an Eye × 1
Yeah, no. Scrap it. It doesn't matter what for. Anything you put in it's place is at least more consistent than eye for an eye.

Humility × 2
Most paladin decks wouldn't run humility because Aldor Peacekeeper exists. It's just a better card. It is a rare, so we're talking 200 dust for a set of those.

Voodoo Doctor ×1
If you still want a 1 mana minion, a second Argent squire is so much better. Paladins have much better healing options.

Wolfrider × 2
Wolfrider is 3 damage for 3 mana. I think if you're going control Hammer of Wrath is 3 damage for 4 mana but it replaces itself in your hand. That's a pretty reasonable switch.

Abomination × 1
This has anti-synergy with the rest of your deck. Your hero power produces token minion,, a lot of your other minions have low health, there's a reasonable chance that in most matchups, this card hurts you more than the opponent. If you want taunt, the second Senjin or a Defender of Argus is probably better. If not, A Frostwolf Warlord for the same mana cost as Abom might not be the worst idea. You have token minions, you have sticky little argent squires, and you give divine shields to stuff this means you should have minions out to buff Warlord.

Gurubashi Berserker × 1
Very slow to get moving and unlike Mages who can damage it themselves, or priests that keep healing it, Paladins don't get to exploit this card well. I'm guessing this is the slot that Stampeding Kodo should take which is pretty great in Paladin decks that can lower minion's attack.

Lord of the Arena × 2
Boulderfist Ogre doesn't have taunt, but has 2 extra health and most of the time your opponents will want rid of it immediately anyway.
Reply Quote
07/02/2014 11:44 PMPosted by Khal
First I will state I'm not legend rank material or anything, so any advice I give is to be taken with a grain of salt. I do understand a lot of the theory crafting behind the game and such. Also, being your deck, you know why/how you use certain cards and why they're valuable to you. I can only speak from my perspective.

With that said, 2 things literally jumped out at me right away. Your lack of 3 cost cards and high count of 1 cost cards.

I'll go in order.

Humility isn't super useful. It's great if you have no answer to something like a Rag except running all your minions into it, otherwise it will often sit in your hand unused. Aldor Peacekeepers will eventually replace this for you (as it did for me).

Eye for an Eye I would replace. Too easy to counter and there's other cards that will get you better results more often.

Youthful Brewmasters can be great when combo'ed with your 1 drops or Wolfriders, but if you're going for an aggresive deck they slow you down as well.

Wolfriders are basically a Hammer of Wrath that stays on the board if used against a hero but die to anything else.

Abomination I have mixed feelings on. It can be great against rush decks, but is prone to silence.

Gurubashi Berserker can work, but I feel there are better options and it's also prone to silence.

The bad thing about Lord of the Arena is that late game it's easy to kill with only 5 health.

Not that all of the above are bad, but I'll assume you don't have a lot of packs acquired, so here's some basic card recommendations that will most likely help:

1) Chillwind Yeti. 4 Mana 4/5. Great stats for it's cost, and probably one of (if not) the best commons.

2) Shattered Sun Clerics. Works great with tokens and other creatures and can throw your opponent a nice curveball for what they were planning next round.

3) Hammer of Wrath I would recommend for new player decks. A good damage ability with card draw (which you don't have).

In the end, I'd definitely look at getting a few more 3 drops and some of the above suggestions into your deck while trying to maintain a mana curve you're comfortable with. For 2 drops I often use Acidic Swamp Ooze. Looking at the common 2 drops, in your case 1 Ooze and 1 Youthful may be best.

Just my 2 cents which I'm sure if people disagree with they'll correct me.

Any and all criticism is welcome. It gives me ideas what to try out. Somethings that have worked for others which i can implement and do test builds.

Humility is my life saver against those buffed high damage cards, then i can feed my Gurubashi berserker with that 1 / * how ever much health it has but i will definitely try out Aldor Defender.

I don't have many cards, i am only like lvl 180 (combining all decks). Lvl 33 on Paladin

Eye for an Eye - ya i think you are right, it really is useless. Max it has done for me was a 2 damage reversal, countered easily.

Brewmasters i kind of need for this build, 2 brewmasters = a +6 heal turning into a +18 heal (to survive bursts). People that throw 1 - 2 legendaries usually end up fighting me until they have no cards left. I have a 50% win rate against them. People with 3 legendaries i have 0% win rate. Just too much dps, i would need legendary healing cards.

Lord of the Arena - ya i should look into fixing that one a 6/5 is too low of a defense for the cost.

I could swap wolfriders for Hammer of Wrath.

Abomination - is kind of clutch. ya it's weak if silenced but it saved me SOOOOO many times against rush decks. It's like a 3rd aoe board clear.

Had a match yesterday against a dude that had 2 health, i had 3 health with Abomination on the field. He had Alexstrasza (i think this was the one) on the field. He basically killed himself. Abom is very clutch.

Ya i am trying to go more for control, but i will take some of your advice on some of the the things and test it out. Thank you so much.

@KillerTapir

- Eye is gone now, i agree.

- I have 200 dust but been saving for Lay on Hands lol :( which is an eternity.

- i will test out using something other then Voodoo Doctor

- Wolfrider is being switched

- Abom is my kind of clutch defense against a zerg (i wouldn't drop it when i have * / 1 or 2 defense minions on the board.

- you might be right with Gurubashi berserker ( i am not getting it's full benefit).

- I am so reluctant at dropping taunt cards (they are my first line of defense to control) but i will definitely test some things out.
Reply Quote
Make a warlock zoo deck. It will get you around rank ~10 with 0 legendaries or epics, no brain or skill needed.
Reply Quote
07/03/2014 07:50 AMPosted by Ael
Make a warlock zoo deck. It will get you around rank ~10 with 0 legendaries or epics, no brain or skill needed.

lol i updated my deck and rocking now :)

I will try out the zoo deck but that's no fun if it's not a challenge lol you don't learn anything that way
Reply Quote
Updated deck and went from 0 star Rank 20 to 1 star Rank 18 in first couple games (haven't seen Multiple win streak stars in a while). Here is what my deck looks like now. It's full control, i noticed the opponents have problems keeping any mobs on the field, it's pretty easy to keep them locked down. Especially rush decks.

1x Humility (don't have 2nd Aldor Peacekeeper) Once i get a second i will change it thank you.
1x Argent Squire
1x Elven Archer (amazing at controlling hunter beast deck from rushing)
1x Voodoo Doctor (haven't swapped this YET, undecided, i like the trade off 2 heal + can sacrifice on a 2 defense mob)

2x Equality
2x Holy Light
1x Argent Protector
2x Youthful Brewmasters
1x Aldor Peacekeeper (need a second one badly)
1x Raid Leader (added this sooooo good)
2x Truesilver champion
2x Blessing of Kings
2 x Consecration
2x Hammer of Wrath
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1x Abomination (might be swapping this now as it's not working with this build somewhat)
1x Stampeding Kodo (SOOOOOO good at control)
1x Avenging Wrath
1x Boulderfist Ogre
1x Sunwalker
2x Guardian of Kings
1x Stormwind Champion
Reply Quote
While i have no input on the decklist provided i do have to say its refreshing to see constructive criticism/feedback on the forums. Keep it up folks
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/03/2014 11:47 AMPosted by BMtheDM
While i have no input on the decklist provided i do have to say its refreshing to see constructive criticism/feedback on the forums. Keep it up folks

You'll find that constructive posting is the norm in the New Player Tavern. The posters here are extraordinary, and wonderfully helpful.

They may not know that I notice, but I totally do. I should probably be more vocal about that.
Reply Quote
Hi! Last season I climbed the ladder with a Paladin deck I made and got to rank 4(from 18) before my computer crapped out on me, I don't expect you to be able to make this deck, but this is what I used. The bolded cards are what you really want to work on getting, they're simply too good to pass up.

x2 Argent Squire
x2 Faerie Dragon
x2 Argent Protector
x2 Equality
x2 Aldor Peacekeeper
x2 Harvest Golem
x1 Big Game Hunter
x1 Blood Knight
x2 Consecrate
x2 Hammer of Wrath
x2 Truesilver Champion
x2 Azure Drake
x1 Harrison Jones
x2 Avenging Wrath
x1 Cairne Bloodhoof
x2 Guardian of Kings
x1 Lay on hands
x1 Tirion Fording

Azure Drake - Rare - 5 cost 4/4
Spell Damage +1, Battlecry: Draw a Card

This is one of the best cards in the game, and probably the best neutral card in the game, and it only costs 200 dust to make 2 of them. They draw you cards, they put a 4/4 threat on the field, and they pump up Consecrate, Hammer of Wrath, and Avenging Wrath. They fit in just about every control-oriented deck, and should be among the first things you craft in this game. They can easily replace your Blessing of Kings or Abomination(BoK isn't that great of a card because almost every one of the best decks in the game is running silence or soft removal in some form that can completely nullify your buff, better to just put a solid minion there instead that doesn't lose completely to silence)

Big Game Hunter - Epic - 3 cost 4/2
Battlecry: Destroy a minion with 7 or more Attack

Big Game Hunter works wonders in control Paladin because he handles big threats like Alexstrasza, Ragnaros the Firelord, and the variety of Giants. Best of all, he leaves you with enough mana to play a Guardian of Kings to heal back up in the same turn. He'll cost a hefty 400 dust to craft since he's an Epic, but you only need one of them.

Avenging Wrath - Epic - 6 cost spell
Deal 8 damage randomly split among enemy characters

You already have this card, you already know why it's good. You already know you need 2 of them.

Lay on Hands - Epic - 8 cost spell
Restore 8 Health and Draw 3 cards

This card is the reason that Paladins are so potent late game. Healing for a whopping 8 health and refilling your hand can turn games around in an instant, it also leaves you with enough mana to play Equality(and you'll probably draw into it) and make some good trades. This card really can't be replaced in control Paladin because of how powerful it is, but it could easily replace your Holy Light. This card is actually so powerful that you don't want to run 2 of them. By the time you can play it, it's very late into the game and you've probably drawn a good portion of your deck by then. If you draw too much, you'll run out of cards and end up in Fatigue and will take increasing damage at the start of every turn. One is usually enough to turn a game around, but not run out of cards too quickly.

Other great cards to add would be Harvest Golems, which are 3 mana Common 2/3's with the Deathrattle: Summon a 2/1 Damaged Golem. There is nothing more annoying for your opponent than trying to deal with a Harvest Golem. He eats 3 damage, and then comes back to life in a weaker form. Against aggro, he'll often kill multiple creatures on his own and buy you extra time to draw into your board clears. Too good.

Hope I helped a bit.
Reply Quote
Awesome modifications. Brings back nostalgia from when I was first starting a few months ago. Funny enough, I felt my Paladin deck was my weakest (along with Rogue), and after my biggest arena run (10-3), I feel it's in my top half.

If you like the Voodoo Doctor, I would suggest considering an Earthen Ring Farseer. 3 Mana 3/3 that heals for 3. So for 2 mana you get +1/+2 and a +1 to healing. Harder to combo with Brewmasters, but can't be pinged by Mages/Rogues/Druids. It's totally up to you and how you feel about your mana usage.

Abomination is great if it works for you. I couldn't get it to be reliable enough in my Priest deck but haven't tried it in others.

As for the decks with multiple Legendaries, the one thing I notice is you have no Silences (great against buffed minions and Legendaries such as Ysera/Cairne/Sylvannas). Lack of hard removal is the weakness of Paladins since you need to use combos in most cases. I tend to use a Spellbreaker in almost all my decks, but I do have to admit it often gets used on something like Harvest Golem. Although when I do get to use it on something like a Lightspawn, makes it worth it.

But yeah, seems much more solid. Just keep in mind no 1 deck can counter everything :p
Reply Quote
A little update:

Paladins are REALLY weak and you just heal yourself forever and pray the enemy runs out of cards or are with 1 card in their hand at all times. Then it's GG. (games feel like they take FOREVER, unless you have Leeroy and Manipulator)

Without Tyrion and Leeroy, Paladin decks are VERY weak.

I am running a Zoo Lock and Rush Warrior decks which are just wrecking people (and i don't have legendaries that they need).

Managed for Rank 18, going to practice more and then work my way towards Rank 15 and lower.
Edited by BigRuski on 7/6/2014 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Get yaself two Ironbark Owls and just use them as ghetto removal for legendaries like sylvanas, cairne, thalnas, ragnaros, ysera etc.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem....i started playing few days ago.I watched a lot of streams so im not that new to the game.I have some basic knowledge.

I have a basic deck and best i got was rank 17....and i keep bouncing from 20 to 18 and back...

The problem is not my bad play but people i play against.Most of them have !@#$ tons of rares cards and even legendaries(yes you heard it - at rank 19-20)

Should i quit this nonsense because im not willing to paying anything to such scam game/company like this.

If they actually charged money for some particular cards you need to make the deck you like i would maybe consider it.

But im not paying for some random %^-* cards...thats pure scam and its sad blizzard fell down to trick like that...guess wow isnt doing that great anymore
Reply Quote
Well the game IS free, so technically you are welcome to stay or go at anytime really. No one is FORCING you to buy anything.

You just have to get better.

Remember this: The games you did pay money for, you aren't playing because you are playing a Free2Play game. So the value of this game is more important then the ones you actually paid for? :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]