Need help Paladin vs Priest

Not here to complain but need help vs Priest's 1st Northshire Cleric 2nd Lightwell.

The only charge card in the game that does decent damage is Wolfrider which is only turn 3 (he has both the NC and LW by then). Consecration can only use on 4th turn and only does 2 damage anyway.

How do we counter this ridiculous (and WAY overused) Priest opening?

Here is my deck:

1 x Eye for an Eye
1 x Abusive Sergeant
1 x Elven Archer
1 x Equality
1 x Holy Light
1 x Acidic Swamp Ooze
1 x Argent Protector
1 x Ironbeak Owl (could probably put two in the deck and hope for the luck of drawing both in 2nd turn at least)
1 x Sword of Justice
1 x Aldor Peacekeeper
1 x Big Game Hunter
1 x Harvest Golem
1 x Wolfrider
1 x Truesilver Champion
2 x Blessing of Kings
2 x Consecration
1 x Hammer of Wrath
1 x Defender of Argus
2 x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1 x Faceless Manipulator
1 x Stampeding Kodo
1 x Avenging Wrath
1 x Lord of the Arena
2 x Guardian of Kings
1 x Ysera
1 x Sea Giant

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Quote
I prefer that 3/1 with divine shield personally. And you gotta get a second Truesilver in there
Reply Quote
Just theorycrafting here, but dropping any 3/2 would disrupt his tempo. In your deck, ooze is probably the best choice.

He can't run his unbuffed cleric into it without losing it

If he use a SW:P to kill your ooze or PW:F to save his cleric, he won't have mana for lightwell on his turn 2 (and he's using cards to counter yours so at least you aren't letting him gain card advantage)

Even if he uses PW:F (or divine spirit), it would still be unwise to run his cleric into yours, because he won't have mana to heal up after attacking and your 3/2 (3/1 after being hit) can finish off the cleric on your turn.

Again, still theorycraft, but the best following up to that is probably another 3/2 so he has to make that choice again. The idea is that he can't do everything he wants with his mana: save cleric, respond to your minions, drop lightwell.

Looking at your deck, if your 3/2 survives, you can alternatively drop abusive which lets it kill a lightwell or a cleric with PW:S
Reply Quote
3/2s destroy clerics. I'd definitely suggest a faerie over anything else because anything else can just get SW:P'd. Sure it might be a loss of tempo for him, but if you are unlucky and haven't drawn anything else yet, it will still put you back.
Also, most of the time (playing aggro) I don't try to play around them drawing cards if I know I can get an opening no matter what. They probably won't be playing anything for a while anyway, so it gives me a good chance to pull a huge divine favor. Even if it doesn't come, having a lot of cards as priest doesn't help vs aggro all that much, just watch out for the increased probability of running into a holy nova (prefer playing recruits over actual minions with last mana from turns 4-5 so you can always regain the board).
Edited by Riv on 6/29/2014 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm done trying to beat the Priest. This !@#$%^- just kept on stealing my cards and then used my best cards that I worked hard to earn against me. Then he kept healing them. Honestly I don't complain when I lose, but this is probably the most spineless, weasel-like way to play. . It is a waste of time playing against Priest, I will rather auto-concede. BTW I have been absolutely destroyed by combos from Rogue, and weapon-buffs from Warrior etc and I don't mind because that is their strength to win. But the Priest is actually really lame and has no character. Please Blizzard, delete Priest and replace with Monk or Crusader type class. Even a *!@#ing Bard, whatever.
Reply Quote
First off, your deck is very inconsistent because you have plenty of cards as 1 of. Concerning your previous question.
1) Run 2x Equality, 2x Peacekeeper and 2x Truesilver Champion
2) Mulligan for Equality, Peacekeeper and Truesilver

3) I could run through the different possibilities, but I don't want to. While Equality + pyro/avenging/nova makes up for a really cool boardsweep, it's only a 2 mana spell for a reason. Equality absolutely destroys priest, can't heal things that only have one life.

Turn2: equality, turn 3 hero power. What is he going to do? Use his removals on your heropower to smack you for 1 damage per round?

p.s.: It seems your approach is to have "one" countercard for every possible situation. You will end up with a lot of cards in hand that are pretty useless and waiting for that ONE card. Try a different approach: Instead of asking yourself "how do I not die in x situation", aks yourself "how do I win?". Then you put in the cards needed to win and fill the slots with general purpose cards that are useful in lots of situations.
Edited by TiH on 6/30/2014 11:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks you're actually 100% right - I am trying to counter every possible situation. Your comments were really helpful. Will keep trying with the cards you recommended.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]