New to Handlock having issues (help?)

Every season I play new class just to keep things fresh. First was Shaman, last season was Druid. Highest ever got rank wise was rank 3 but stayed around rank 5 with my druid. I decided to try Handlock this season since you guys pretty much always destroyed my Druid hehe.

I got the typical deck (Giants, drake, leeroy, but no alex)

Anyway obviously completely different than what I am use to. I just was hoping for few tips and maybe suggestions? I read few guides but they are kind of out of date.

What is throwing me off big time is that with my Druid I was ramping up so of course handlocks would tap until turn 4 throw down drake/giant. With so much aggro (everything seems to be aggro) that is kinda just shooting myself in the head. I am not sure how to handle this. I read to just draw ancient along with hopefully owl and go from there. Is this pretty much right?

Also with so much aggro going on is it a good time to be Handlock? I am not currently seeing to many out and about. Though my Druid seen plenty at end of last season.

Any tips/suggestions would be great. My win/lose ratio is awful right now granted just started learning deck.
Reply Quote
Would you mind sharing the decklist you're using? While Handlock is mostly standardized if you're making any variations that could impact things.

Anyway, against Aggro you need to aggressively mulligan/tap for Soulfire, Ancient Watcher+Sunfry Protector/DoA, Mortal Coil, and/or Hellfire/Shadowflame. It can also potentially help if you have Voidwalker or Shadowbolt within your variant.

Mountain Giants are still good, but you'll want to prioritize Molten Giants if you're otherwise happy with your hand. Twilight Drake might also become a lower priority.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the help! Right now from my experience drakes seem to be getting silenced almost always. Here is my deck any suggestions would be great.

2 Soulsire
2 Moral Coil
1 Power Overwhelming
2 Ancient Watchers
2 Ironbeak Owls
2 Sunfury Protectors
2 Earthen Ring Farseers
2 Hellfire
2 Shadowflame
2 Defender
1 Leeroy
2 Twilight Drake
1 Faceless
2 Siphon Soul
1 Ragnaros
2 Mountain Giant
2 Molten Giant

Any recommendations would be great :)
Reply Quote
07/04/2014 04:50 PMPosted by Bluecd
2 Soulsire
2 Moral Coil
1 Power Overwhelming
2 Ancient Watchers
2 Ironbeak Owls
2 Sunfury Protectors
2 Earthen Ring Farseers
2 Hellfire
2 Shadowflame
2 Defender
1 Leeroy
2 Twilight Drake
1 Faceless
2 Siphon Soul
1 Ragnaros
2 Mountain Giant
2 Molten Giant
Wow this is... literaly the exact same deck I use, only one difference

Thalnos over rag, thalnos is a great card in handlock, 4 dmg hellfire kill a lot more than a 3 (azure drakes most notably) and the 2 dmg coil removes and draws a lot of cards.
Reply Quote
Considering Aggro, Ragnaros is probably the least useful card. Thalnos would certainly be a good replacement if he's available to you (I wouldn't go and dust a bunch of my other Legs for him but...)

You might also consider a (single) random Shadowbolt. It can be useful for getting rid of Dark Iron Dwarf or SSC/DOA buffed 2/3s like Amani Berserker or Harvest Golem if you're facing those, and generally any 2/3-drops you're likely to come across, as well as naked Azure Drakes and Auctioneers which are common in control and miracle respectively.

EDIT: Finally, if you're encountering too much Silence for your Drakes, you might consider Shieldmastas. They can get silenced too of course, but they'll probably be slightly more useful against Aggro (less so against control heavy stuff though), and they'll still potentially trade 2-for-1 even if they are silenced.
Edited by Tsenzei on 7/4/2014 9:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Handlock has a few cards that can be substituted VERY easily. The template needs to be followed and Leeroy Combo is generally accepted as great but not entirely necessary but other than that you are free to follow as you wish. Most Handlocks decks will look so damn close to yours. Mine is the same but with a few exceptions.

-1 Shadowflame, +1 Faceless Manipulator. The extra Faceless is more useful to me than the extra Shadowflame. That might change given the high amount of Aggro but being able to make an extra Taunted Giant/Drake and still be able to pull off the 20 damage Leeroy combo has helped me more than the extra Shadowflame or increasing my chance of having it.

-1 Ragnaros, +1 Bloodmage Thalnos. Cheap spellpower that also cycles nicely. Playing it with Mortal Coil can help quite a bit. Ragnaros is really slow. With Mountain and Moltens coming out by turn 5 or so, I think having another big dude is generally not super useful.

That is how it usually works. You can trade out 1 Shadowflame for Faceless or give up Mortal Coils for other cards (often Shieldmasta) and the one Legendary is in flux. Some swear by Alexstraza while others fall into line under Jarraxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion. I just recently got Thalnos but it was Black Knight for a while to stop other Handlocks and Ancient of Wars. Your deck looks great, though I would dump Ragnaros for something a little faster. Cairne, Sylvanas, Black Knight, Harrison Jones, or Thalnos *could* be better.

The main thing is to identify if the opponent is Rush or Control early. Against Aggro, I find that Handlock is generally favored but it comes down to bad luck. If you don't get Ancient Watcher, Twilight Drakes, Molten/Mountain Giants, Hellfire, Soulfire, Sunfury Protector, or Defender of Argus there is generally very little you can do. At the times that I get the perfect hand of double molten giants with Argus and they beat me down to 10 so I can double Molten Argus it seems as if the deck is unfair against Rush. When you can't get the Taunts or the Earthen Rings you wonder how the hell the deck is even good.

It is a lot like Ramp Druid in that regard. When you don't get Innervate, Ancients, or Wild Growth the deck doesn't seem so great. With Handlock, when the Top Deck Fairy hears your cries for help and whispers "No" there is not much you can do. Luckily, there are a lot of things that you have to not get to just get bent over a barreled and spanked. I would suggest watching some games a Streamer has done with Handlock. Trump has some decent videos and explains why he is making a decision. Even when the decision is wrong in hindsight, you can still get a GREAT explanation of each decision in the deck.

Good luck with the deck! I love my some Handlock.
Edited by Azernak0 on 7/4/2014 11:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Great thanks everyone I really do appreciate the help! Going to take out Rag/Shadowflame for put Thalnos/Faceless.

One final question. A hand I have not yet come across yet oddly is Miracle rogue. I am starting to win a bit now and ranking up. What is best way to go about handling them?

Again thanks so much for help. :)
Reply Quote
07/05/2014 03:41 AMPosted by Bluecd
Great thanks everyone I really do appreciate the help! Going to take out Rag/Shadowflame for put Thalnos/Faceless.

One final question. A hand I have not yet come across yet oddly is Miracle rogue. I am starting to win a bit now and ranking up. What is best way to go about handling them?

Again thanks so much for help. :)
Taunt up, kill the gadgetzan. make sure you have either giants or watchers taunted when you know the Leeroy is coming
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]