Is equality op?

I think that equality is over powered with both the wild phromancer and consecration combos. when played without any of your minions on board as a paladin, these combos kill all of your enemy's minions with a considerably low mana cost. This techique also negates the drawback of equality, which supposed to be the balancing factor of it.
wild phromancer combo only costs 4 mana letting paladins to easily play another minion after the combo.
Consecreation combo only costs 6 mana and kills all enemy minions with also damaging the oponent by two.
I think that this is overpowered when mana cost and the effect of twisting nether is considered.
What you guys think?
Reply Quote
When compared to a single card AoE, Equal combos are not bad at all. Mana cost may be low, but it requires you to DRAW and play 2 cards for it. Plus, unless the enemy is has at least 3 minions on the field, you're not gaining much in card advantage.
Reply Quote
I have answered plenty of times on this topic. To keep things short: you need two cards combo. you destroy your minions and lastly there are only 2 equalities. Furthermore there is no damage done to the opponent. I know more "OP" combos from other classes that are more powerful than this one.
Reply Quote
No more op then Lamestrike.
Reply Quote
No it isn't.
Reply Quote
Yes it is OP. But since we don't have any reliable removal I'm fine with it
Reply Quote
It's the only board clear that could wipe out 7 Giants in one swoop. It's a very good AoE clear, but I think Paladin needs it to be viable. I hate playing Paladins... my most annoying class to face, but I'm just trying to be fair here. But come on pally's stop acting like you need the perfect draw to pull it off.... you just need to have an equality paired with a pyromancer, consecration or avenging wrath and you can very efficiently clear an entire board of giant minions. No other class can do that.
Reply Quote
07/04/2014 08:23 AMPosted by Buckeye
No other class can do that.

Twisting Nether says hello.
Reply Quote
It's OP in a technical sense, but given current state of the meta game it's not.

If everyone was playing middle-ish control deck, then yes, absolutely Equality + Pyro/Consecration/Avenging Wrath would be extremely OP.

But seeing how the meta is dominated by Warlocks (Zoo/Handlock), Miracle Rogue, Ramp Druid and Control/Heavy Late Game Warriors - it's not.

Sure, sometimes you can get spectacular results vs those decks with your equality, but more often then not it's not nearly enough. Generally against those decks, getting off a good Equality combo once or even twice is not enough - they either refill the board, and you are still behind; or or just kill you with damage. And like people above have mentioned you need 2 cards to pull it off, so it's nowhere nearly reliable.
Reply Quote
07/04/2014 10:07 AMPosted by Amulrei
07/04/2014 08:23 AMPosted by Buckeye
No other class can do that.

Twisting Nether says hello.

I have over 1250 wins and the only time I have ever seen this card used is when I was messing around with it, so it might as well not exist in this discussion.
Edited by Valius on 7/5/2014 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/04/2014 12:45 AMPosted by Karasuko
Yes it is OP. But since we don't have any reliable removal I'm fine with it

Do you know what OP even means?
Reply Quote
IMO no, because you're relying on two cards. COmparing it to twisting nether isn't a valid argument imo since A. That card is never used/ bad and B. It's one card.
Also you suggesting that using it on an empty board only hurts opponent. It's not like you get to choose when your opponent plays his big minions. Also paladins have NO other source of removal that's guaranteed (i.e. execute, assassinate, SW:P/D etc) so it's nice to have something that at least kills big creatures. Using Consecrate w/ it means we lack our really only AOE removal. Using Wild Pyro w/ it means we have to fill two slots with a 3/2 that only has ONE use.
It doesn't hurt divine shield minions

All of this considered I think playing smart vs. a paladin beats just nerfing a card so that if you play 6 big creatures we lose.
Reply Quote
I would say, and this is obviously my opinion, that for any card(s) to be considered OP it/they would have to meet a certain criteria. That criteria being "can it/they be played around?". If the answer is yes, then the card(s) can't be OP because you can easily minimize the effect they produce on the game. If a card or combination of cards can't be played around and their effect(s) minimized then I would say they are OP. To Blizzards credit, I personally haven't seen anything that I would consider OP.

As an example, Unleash the Hounds, which was recently nerfed because it was widely considered OP. But was it? If you maintained a board of no more than 1 or 2 minions, then at BEST a hunter could have produced on turn 10, Buzzard (2 mana), 4 hounds (2 UtH, 4 mana), 1 Timber Wolf (1 mana), and summoned an Animal companion HOPING for Huffer. All said and done they would have played 5 cards, drew 6 cards, and IF they got Huffer they could have done 13 damage. That is if your board was 2 minions. So, yes I would say it was OP at 2 mana because even if you attempted to play around it they could produce 13 damage, and draw 6 cards in 1 turn. So you attempted to play around a combo of cards and it was still SUPER powerful.

Pyro + Equality, if you do the same thing and maintain a board of no more than 1 or 2 minions is not OP because at best it is an even trade of 2 cards for 2 cards. At worst, it would be 2 for 1. You just have to learn to play around combos that SEEM super powerful, because if you do, you will notice that those combos don't seem as good any more.
Reply Quote
Sure there are many ways to combo it (pyromancer, consecration and avenging wrath), but all 3 combos share the same card so you can still only pull it off twice per game.
Its a strong removal, but it has a bad side effect if you have minions on the board. Compare it with brawl, which lets you remove all enemy minions but 1 with 5 mana and 1 card, and hurts if you have a board presence of your own. Besides, equality combos leave divine shield minions alive.

Last but not least, its arguably the strongest card paladins have, you can't call it OP without looking at the entire class.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]