The new beta of Yosemite hangs Hearthstone

Good Afternoon,

I upgraded to the latest BETA of Yosemite on Mac. It seems since then Hearthstone doesn't start anymore. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Same thing: Just a white window that says HearthStone on top with a spinning hourglass thing.

It worked fine in the previous (first) Beta versions of Yosemite. In the seconds it seems it does not. I realize you cannot be responsible when I'm using Beta OS on my MacBook. I just wanted to let you know and also to see if you had any tips? Should I uninstall and maybe delete the folders?

Thanks,

Kaj
Reply Quote
I have the same issue. Hearthstone will just hang on a blank white screen when launched from Yosemite Developer Preview 3. The game worked fine under the previous Yosemite betas.

I did manage to make the game launch once by adding '-launch' to Options > Game Settings > Game Settings > Additional Command Line Arguments in the Battle net app.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the game to launch again.
Reply Quote
Try 'Reset User Options' in the Batte.net app for Hearthstone (click the Battle.net icon in the top left corner > Settings > Game Settings).

I myself didn't have the problem on Yosemite DP3, but my friend (also DP3) did and she solved that problem by resetting user settings.

What Macs are you two running? I have a Nvidia GPU and as it said it works fine, but my friend has Intel Graphics and this may be the issue.
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 01:09 AMPosted by iMaddin
Try 'Reset User Options' in the Batte.net app for Hearthstone (click the Battle.net icon in the top left corner > Settings > Game Settings).

That worked for me! I guess I should have tried the obvious. Thanks!
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 01:09 AMPosted by iMaddin

I myself didn't have the problem on Yosemite DP3, but my friend (also DP3) did and she solved that problem by resetting user settings.

What Macs are you two running? I have a Nvidia GPU and as it said it works fine, but my friend has Intel Graphics and this may be the issue.

That may be it. I can run Hearthstone on my iMac (ATI GPU) fine with the current beta, but it is getting frozen on my macbook (Intel HD).
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 07:30 AMPosted by jinx

That may be it. I can run Hearthstone on my iMac (ATI GPU) fine with the current beta, but it is getting frozen on my macbook (Intel HD).

Did resetting user options fix the issue for you on your MacBook?
Reply Quote
That worked! :)
Reply Quote
I had the exact same problem. I had also uninstalled and re-installed the game with no luck. Now after reading this thread I also reset my user settings but the game still hangs right at the launch with a black screen with a title bar saying Hearthstone and a spinning wheel of death.

UPDATE: Restarting the computer and then resetting user settings works. But only once. After quitting the game, I have to reset user settings, restart the computer, and reset the user settings again just before launching the game again. (maybe the first reset before restarting is not necessary but I do it anyways)
Edited by eXisTanCe on 7/10/2014 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
UPDATE: Restarting the computer and then resetting user settings works. But only once. After quitting the game, I have to reset user settings, restart the computer, and reset the user settings again just before launching the game again.

This is the same for me. My Mac us running a nVidia GPU for the record. At least this is a fairly reliable workaround until either Blizzard releases a patch, or a new Yosemite Beta is released.
Reply Quote
Does the issue reoccur when you guys play in windowed mode? I'm not sure why but playing full screen seems some be causing issues sometimes.

Edit: Never mind. Fullscreen mode doesn't seem to be the problem here. Not sure why some people do have problems. At least you can get it to work temporarily.
Edited by iMaddin on 7/11/2014 2:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
resetting user settings does nothing for me. Still can't get it to work, Yosimite Beta 3
Reply Quote
Same here. I have to restart the computer after closing the game for a rerun.
Reply Quote
Resetting user settings didn't work for me, the game still hangs with a grey screen when I launch it. I'm on a 2009 MacBook Pro with an nVidia graphics card.
Reply Quote
Resetting user settings worked for me. I am on a late 2013 MBP w/retina Intel Iris.
Reply Quote
07/14/2014 06:48 PMPosted by Drummerwun
Resetting user settings worked for me. I am on a late 2013 MBP w/retina Intel Iris.

Correction, this only worked once. Even with reboots this no longer fixes the issue for me.
Reply Quote
Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air running yosemite beta 3 - same problem.
27" iMac (newer, thinner, not older thicker) running yosemite beta 3 - no issues

Rebooting/reinstalling/wiping user settings has no effect on the unplayability.
Reply Quote
Same issue as above. Restarting/resetting user setting does nothing for me.

Running 10.10
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Reply Quote
This issue is still stopping me from playing. Anyone find a fix?

Restarting/resetting user setting also does nothing for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]