Paladin Midrange: Competitive in current Meta

I got to rank 10 with this deck, and I'm by no means a great player. In the hands of someone more competent it could easily get to rank 5 or lower.

Onto the list:

-Creatures:
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Wild Pyromancer
2x Aldor Peace Keeper
2x Scarlet Crusader
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Azure Drake
2x Stampeding Kodo
1x Argent Commander
2x Sunwalker
2x Guardian of Kings
-Spells/Weapons:
2x Humility
2x Equality
1x Holy Light
2x Consecration
2x True Silver Champion
2x Avenging Wrath
1x Lay on Hand

Tirion isn't there as, in my experience, he's too slow against aggressive decks and unneeded against control. The 2nd Sunwalker does his job 2 turns faster and combos better with other cards (I.E. turn 10: Pyro + Equality + Sunwalker). That said, if needed, you could cut 1 Azure Drake or 1 Argent Commander for Tirion. I've also tested Ysera in this deck, and she's amazing against control. I'd put Tirion in first if you wanted too, and then if you REALLY wanna defeat control Ysera is an option as well.

Deck relies on understanding you'll often "start behind" and then catch-up. You have 4 unconditional kills (2 Equality and 2 Kodo + Humility/Aldor). You have enough healing and taunts to stabilize, and lots and lots of board clears. It's possible to be aggressive or reactive, and which is necessary depends on the match-up and the draws.

In terms of a win-condition: there isn't one. The deck wins through having 9 5+ cost, strong minions all with utility and stupid amounts of removal and board clears, backed up by significant healing.

Knowing when to use removal is important. Knowing to use some early against Zoo and what to save for Doomguard, for example.

The biggest weakness is lack of card draw. 2 Azure's and LoH are all you get, good luck. The best way to mitigate this is understand all of your cards have tons of value (Kodo, Crusader, Azure, Sunwalker, True Silver) and can easily go 2 for 1. Beyond that, the hero power is golden; the games I most comfortably win I win with 2-3 recruits on the field a few times.

So far, this is what I've found for the match-ups:

Favored:
-Zoo, Aggro Hunter, Priest
Somewhat Favored:
-Handlock, Control Warrior, Freeze Mage, Shaman
OK:
-Tempo Rogue, Shockadin
Poor:
-Miracle Rogue
Untested:
-Most Types of Druid, Control Paladin, Aggro Warrior

If anyone has questions about the deck, please let me know! I'd love to see more people try it out and help Paladin's get some more presence on the ladder. In particular, I'd love to see a better player take this deck far.
Reply Quote
I dont believe it's favoured against zoo.
2x humility might help, but it's in no way favoured.
Reply Quote
In my testing, the deck is favored against zoo. Of course you still lose some due to their nut hand/your poor draws, but my results have shown this deck doing well against it. The early game is there, and 7 out of the 9 late game creatures are very useful against zoo (2 Guardian, 2 Sunwalker, 1 Argent, 2 Kodo).

That said, I'd love for you to test the deck out against several different zoo builds and see what your results say. Maybe I'm playing against easy zoo, or your thoughts on how the deck functions aren't how it really does or something. I'd love to get more data/feedback on it's performance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]