Struggling against handlocks

Hi, I play a ramp deck and am struggling against handlocks. I'm not too worried on my deck itself but I would like some solid help/strategy on how to successfully deal with handlocks as they are currently one of my most difficult match-ups.
Thanks.
Reply Quote
Always keep Keeper.

Consider keeping BGH in starting hand.

Try to keep his board clear, don't over commit in attacking face in case he brings out two free Molten Giants and taunt them. Build up your own board to rush him down in one go (especially with Savage Roar).

That's probably really basic. Easier said than done though, it's a hard match-up.
Reply Quote
You need TBK and BGH in deck, some more charge or direct damage (argent commander, starfall), and a faceless manip.

I'm about to go one step further and add a naturalize too.
Reply Quote
07/10/2014 11:40 PMPosted by dyDrawer
Always keep Keeper.

Consider keeping BGH in starting hand.

Try to keep his board clear, don't over commit in attacking face in case he brings out two free Molten Giants and taunt them. Build up your own board to rush him down in one go (especially with Savage Roar).

That's probably really basic. Easier said than done though, it's a hard match-up.

Do you use your keepers for the twilight drakes or taunted giants?

07/11/2014 12:11 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
You need TBK and BGH in deck, some more charge or direct damage (argent commander, starfall), and a faceless manip.

I'm about to go one step further and add a naturalize too.

I have both TBK and BGH running in my deck but still is a little difficult. I guess this match-up is just horrible for druids (or so I hear)? Also, I hate naturalize so so so much.
Reply Quote
if its a warlock smash there face before they either A) smash yours with an aggro deck, or B) get the cards they need to smother the board with massive taunts.

I find this works 50% of the time for me but it does help to run keeper BGH and if you have it a black knight

If you are playing token just remember that handlock is meant to be one of the hardest opponents for you and at least people don't play it as much as zoo
Reply Quote
Essential cards for this matchup are BGH, Keeper and Black Knight. If you are offered any of those in your starting hand, do not mulligan them. They may sit in your hand for a bit, but they are incredibly important. Faceless Manipulator is also a great card for this matchup, but less essential than the others. If you don't have BK you will have to run a naturalize or a 2nd BGH. I used to run 2 BGH because I was facing handlock so often.

Don't feel the need to rush in this matchup, using your hero power only on turns 2-3-4 is just fine. 99% of the time the handlock is only going to lifetap for his first 3 turns.

Turn 4 handlock is going to either drop a Mountain Giant, or drop a Twilight Drake. If you have a BGH and a keeper in your hand heading into turn 4, you are golden. Always use keepers to silence the drakes.

After the initial threat is gone the handlock is just going to try to control the board with AOE, hard removal and maybe some watchers while he waits for his hitpoints to get low enough to drop molten giants and a defender of argus. Don't play into his hand. Try to draw out his hard removal with less important minions like Druid of the claw.

When his hit points are around 16 just say good enough and stop hitting his face so that he will have a really hard time getting those molten giants out. Play things that he can't kill right away like Sunwalkers or Ancient of War so that you can combo with a swipe to take down a giant. When he does taunt a molten giant use your BK or naturalize on it. Usually if you can kill 3 giants and a drake he wont have much else to threaten you with unless he got really lucky and drew all 4 of his giants and Alexstraza.

Late game its best to burst him down. If he has less than 10 hit points left there is a good chance that Jaraxxus or Alex will show up. If he gets Jaraxxus out, the game becomes REALLY difficult to win.

Long story short, get some hard removal in your deck and don't mulligan it away. Get the lock to the mid teens on hit points and stall until you can put together enough burst to finish him in 1 turn. When you are establishing board control you want to focus on minons that can't be killed by an 8-9 damage shadowflame. (I think that's what the AOE where the lock blows up his own minion is called)
Reply Quote
bgh
the black knight
2x FON+SR
always save keepers for twilight drakes
try to keep his HP equal to his mana+10 before you go in for the kill, but also dont be afraid to go for the face when you have to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]