Are druid cards battlecries?

With Nerub'ar Weblord's effect "Minions with Battlecry cost 2 more" do druid cards with "choose one" get affected? It feels like cenarius, keeper of the grove, and ancient of lore should be considered battlecries, but what about druid of the claw and ancient of war? The difference between the silenceable ancient of war and non-silenceable druid of the claw also need to be clarified if one of these is considered a battlecry and the other isn't.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
07/21/2014 02:37 PMPosted by Victim
With Nerub'ar Weblord's effect "Minions with Battlecry cost 2 more" do druid cards with "choose one" get affected? It feels like cenarius, keeper of the grove, and ancient of lore should be considered battlecries, but what about druid of the claw and ancient of war? The difference between the silenceable ancient of war and non-silenceable druid of the claw also need to be clarified if one of these is considered a battlecry and the other isn't.

Choose One cards are considered battlecries. However, whether or not Weblord's effect increases their cost, I can't say with certainty. My suspicion is yes, but I can't really say with certainty.
Reply Quote
They aren't considered battlecries.. or they certainly don't have that wording. I don't think they will be effected, I certainly hope not.
Reply Quote
I think cards that don't actually say "battlecry:" on them will almost certainly not be affected, the alternative would create too much confusion. Currently, the card text on all cards is very carefully worded to be as intuitive and clear as they can make it.
Reply Quote
If the text reads "Battlecry" then yes. Otherwise, maybe not. We'll know when Naxx hits. :-)
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Sar
07/21/2014 02:37 PMPosted by Victim

Choose One cards are considered battlecries. However, whether or not Weblord's effect increases their cost, I can't say with certainty. My suspicion is yes, but I can't really say with certainty.

Mr. MVP.

"Choose one" works the same way as a battle cry but are not considered battle cries. Therefore Nerub'ar will not affect druid cards. Please don't spread false info.
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 02:44 PMPosted by Clearl0ve
07/21/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Sar

Mr. MVP.

"Choose one" works the same way as a battle cry but are not considered battle cries. Therefore Nerub'ar will not affect druid cards. Please don't spread false info.

I would agree. There is no 'battlecry' tag, therefore it will not be affected by Nerub'ar Weblord's effect. Not sure why anyone would think differently.
Reply Quote
https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/491340783598198784

All it takes is a tweet
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Yup, Ben's tweet is correct. For those of you that don't want to click the link - Choose One cards are not affected by the Nerub'ar Weblord's ability. Also, the Nerub'ar Weblord affects all cards with Battlecry - friendly and opposing.
Reply Quote
damn i guess that means that combo cards would also not be considered battlecries. Was hoping it would really shut down miracle rogues. It does still stop the leeroy shadowstep crap, making him 6/4 mana.
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 03:25 PMPosted by UmbraIgnis
damn i guess that means that combo cards would also not be considered battlecries. Was hoping it would really shut down miracle rogues. It does still stop the leeroy shadowstep crap, making him 6/4 mana.

lol, you basically want to kill the entire rogue class if you want weblord to affect combos.
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 03:16 PMPosted by Zeriyah
Yup, Ben's tweet is correct. For those of you that don't want to click the link - Choose One cards are not affected by the Nerub'ar Weblord's ability. Also, the Nerub'ar Weblord affects all cards with Battlecry - friendly and opposing.

Allowing Druid-only "super battlecries" a semi-exlusive (presumably shared by Rogues' Combo mechanic) pass to ignore this limitation seems unwise, from a game balance perspective . "Choose One" cards tend to be above average already, even by class card standards; why push them even further ahead of what everyone else gets?

Druid is already #1 in terms of raw power; giving them even more is like buffing Chillwind Yeti....
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Headshot

Allowing Druid-only "super battlecries" a semi-exlusive (presumably shared by Rogues' Combo mechanic) pass to ignore this limitation seems unwise, from a game balance perspective . "Choose One" cards tend to be above average already, even by class card standards; why push them even further ahead of what everyone else gets?

Druid is already #1 in terms of raw power; giving them even more is like buffing Chillwind Yeti....

Wrong. They aren't super battlcries. They are just not impacted by a card designed to impact battlecries. If that makes them super, you have a very very low definition of super.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

Having a card that only affects a keyword that is currently specific to a single class would only be good versus that class and not good versus other classes. Battlecry cards are universal, giving the card more overall flexibility.
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 04:02 PMPosted by Zeriyah

Having a card that only affects a keyword that is currently specific to a single class would only be good versus that class and not good versus other classes. Battlecry cards are universal, giving the card more overall flexibility.

He just wants it to be good against both... which sounds overpowered if it is designed to counter a specific class as well as neutral cards.
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Wrong. They aren't super battlcries. They are just not impacted by a card designed to impact battlecries. If that makes them super, you have a very very low definition of super.

They're "super battlecries" because they tend to be very powerful AND offer you two options, wheras most battlecries are "take it or leave it". I did not base that description of them on their ability to ignore the effects of a Naxx card; as I said, they are already strong enough and do not need yet another advantage.

07/21/2014 04:02 PMPosted by Zeriyah

Where did you get the idea that I said it should affect "Choose One" cards exclusively?

Edit: whoops, just realized I was replying to Zeriyah -.-;; ...I'd have given you a better (and better worded...) response than that, but I stayed up all night streaming and now my brain is refusing to put in quite as much work as I'd like it to...
Edited by Headshot on 7/21/2014 4:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 04:20 PMPosted by Headshot
They're "super battlecries" because they tend to be very powerful AND offer you two options, wheras most battlecries are "take it or leave it". I did not base that description of them on their ability to ignore the effects of a Naxx card; as I said, they are already strong enough and do not need yet another advantage.

The cards are appropriately balanced around their capabilities. They actually aren't that super at all. They are merely good. Keeper is only a 2/4 btw, 3cc stat minion. Lore is a 5cc stat minion. They definitely pay for their ability to choose. DOTC only has +1 att over a neutral minion in taunt form and only 1hp over korkron elite who costs 1 less in cat form. AOW is vulnerable to silence and the ability is rather weak because of it being slow (for a "on play" ala battlecry affect).
Edited by Protekt1 on 7/21/2014 4:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote

They are not "super-battlecries." They are a different mechanic than battlecries and are only used by one class. Similarly, combo's are also not battlecries. Do they say "Battlecry: ..." ? No, then they are not a battlecry card and should not (are not) effected by the weblord.

Complaining that they are not effect by a minion that only effects battlecries is like complaining that the weblord doesn't effect taunt minions or deathrattle minions. Different mechanics, different keywords.
Reply Quote
07/21/2014 04:36 PMPosted by XiChorn
Complaining that they are not effect by a minion that only effects battlecries is like complaining that the weblord doesn't effect taunt minions or deathrattle minions.

To be fair, it's not at all like that. Neither taunt nor deathrattle works functionally like battlecry, while Druid's choose-one minions do. I don't have a problem with Weblord not affecting those cards, but it's not far-fetched to think that it might. Essentially the keywords battlecry, choose one, and combo are three different names for the same thing. Druids get battlecry choose ones, Rogues get battlecry combos.

It's an arbitrary distinction, so it could have reasonably gone either way.

Different mechanics, different keywords.

Nearly identical mechanics, different names.
Edited by Psychotronic on 7/21/2014 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]