My Legend Climb with Druid + Stats & Tips

This season was my first attempt at ever going for legendary.. it is my first season playing constructed and I started about 2 weeks ago with druid only (mainly arena player). This is a very long post, but this was nearly a two week grind with so many ups and downs.. just gotta write about it.

At first, I just wanted to get golden druid, but as I rose up to near rank 5, I thought I might have a shot at legend: I used a standard ramp/taunt druid all the way to rank 5 fairly easily.

Early last week, I was fluctuating between rank 4-6 with a ramp/taunt druid and really getting in depth with learning strategy and meta. Aggro, face type decks were MUCH more common around rank 4+ than they were at rank 1-3, which is mostly zoo, handlock, and miracle.

I was stuck for about 3-4 days at around rank 5.. It was so frustrating that I thought it would be impossible to reach legend without win streaks. Every game just seemed like luck of the draw, getting black knighted or your trees getting silenced, but now I realize how many mistakes I was making since I was still new and learning.. I thought to myself, "screw it, I'm just going to get golden druid, legend is way too hard.."

I kept switching my decks after losing streaks trying token and ramp with all the variations.. I even shamelessly attempted to try zoo a couple games even though I sucked at it. I was best at druid however.

Mass taunt druid made for long and frustrating games, which I feel is a negative for grinding up ranks.. especially vs control players.

I searched forums for other people struggles and found another guys deck (I think his name is Nuba but I can't find the thread..) saying he reached legend pretty easily.. He called it "Mid Charger" and used Violet Teachers without Power of the Wilds (I thought this was insane).

This deck is very aggro oriented and relies on a quick start with harvest golems, 4 drops, argent commanders, and wombo combo for finisher.

1x Bloodmage Thalnos
    1x Cenarius
    1x Ragnaros the Firelord
    2x Ancient of Lore
    1x Big Game Hunter
    2x Argent Commander
    2x Azure Drake
    2x Keeper of the Grove
    2x Violet Teacher
    2x Druid of the Claw
    2x Harvest Golem
    2x Force of Nature
    2x Wrath
    2x Savage Roar
    2x Swipe
    2x Innervate
    2x Wild Growth

I changed violet teachers to senjin shieldmastas and swapped bloodmage thalnos for mark of the wild. At some point around rank 2-3, I had a sunfury instead of one azure drake but I switched it back around the start of rank 2

At about rank 3-4 just after Naxx, I faced way too much zoo.. Nuba's original deck was still working well, but I really felt vulnerable without more taunts..

Today, I finally made a breakthrough. I was struggling and floating back and forth between ranks 2-4. Losing streaks can be mentally devastating. I made a deal to cool off after bad beats and play when I was ready and in a good mood. I reached rank 1 for the first time today (dropped back to rank 2 many times as well), and I spent the whole day making the final push to legend.

Two times I fell from the final boss one turn away from victory only to have a losing streak. It was depressing being one turn away from winning and losing the next few games.. I kept telling myself I could do it and to just believe in my game.

The first 5 star loss, a shaman drew a taunt totem (1/4 chance) he needed to block my lethal.

In the second loss, a druid missed lethal by sending his combo into my rag and I still ended up losing.. I had FoN/2xSR with two innervates in the bottom 4 of my deck that I could not draw for perfect lethal (22 hp). The other druid had two full combos and owned me.. After both losses, I had losing streaks but kept going up and down between 2-5 stars at rank 1. On the third final boss attempt, I faced a control warrior which was infinitely easier than all the nervewrecking handlock, zoo, miracle rogue decks. In rank 1, I felt like nearly 90% of the matches were against back to back warlocks, so I started writing down names of handlocks and zoos.. It can be difficult to mulligan for either and I kept BGH many times when facing zoo :(.

This deck is extremely powerful. You are looking for early game aggression against almost all decks. This is particularly effective against miracle, for example, if you get a marked harvest golem followed up with senjin, drawing with azure drakes, or innervating early commanders or DotC.. This can lead to quick and easy snowball victories putting rogues in pressure as their auctioneer is starting to set up.. Hold keepers in case of early Edwin pressure. Rag can also snipe concealed auctioneers :D

Against handlock, you NEED keepers and big game almost all of the time to compete if they draw their giants.. You want to put them in range of lethal without letting them put out their molten giants (unless you have swipes) and try to somehow one shot them. Either that or you take out their moltens so you don't have to worry about it lol..

Zoo is pretty damn hard to keep up with in this deck, but with skill and luck, you can definitely beat them if they have average draws.. My win rate against zoo was the worst with this deck at maybe 20-25% but as I got more comfortable and knew what I wanted to mulligan for (senjin's, innervates, harvest golems, wraths, swipes), my win rate shot up to 45% against zoo from rank 3-1.

Final stats starting at rank 4.

7/22/14 to Legend 7/26/14
Total games: 137
Wins: 81
Loss: 56
Win %: 59%

(Total) Win/Loss [%]
Warlock (Zoo): (29) 13/16 [.44]
Rogue (Miracle):(21) 12/9 [.57]
Warlock (Handlock): (19) 10/9 [.53]
Druid (Ramp): (14) 9/5 [.64]
Shaman (?): (13) 9/4 [.69]
Druid (Token): (9) 6/3 [.67]
Rogue (Aggro): (6) 3/3 [.50]
Hunter (Mid): (5) 3/2 [.60]
Warrior (Control): (5) 4/1 [.80]
Priest: (5) 3/2 [.60]
Hunter (Aggro): (4) 3/1 [.75]
Paladin (Control): (4) 3/1 [.75]
Mage (Freeze): (2) 2/0 [1.0]
Rogue (Mid): (1) 1/0 [1.0]

Basically, I feel this deck is weakest vs zoo, but my stats are very good against most other classes. I really hate the new priest that runs cabal, and mass dispels as they can take your golems or keepers.. If they get good thoughtsteals and draw their minions, this matchup can be very hard..

Druid mirrors were particularly easy, even without black knight. At the higher ranks, I almost always try to avoid using DotC as a taunt or I would bait the senjin for TBK. It suck when you innervate a DotC and opponent innervates black knight, though I still was able to win when this happened. Many tears were shed from TBK though this deck doesn't run it.. It is too slow and your tempo can usually take out taunts. Hold your keepers as long as possible (Ancient of War for Ramp and Eggs for Naxx Token druids)

Hunters were easy but you must play well around their secrets. The mid hunters with snapjaw can be difficult but you can still taunt up and race them with golems and chargers.. I had a very high percentage against shamans but the legendary shamans can be very tough. Handlock can be a 50/50 based on if you get BGH and keepers. If you can't draw BGH, just try to taunt up with senjin or DotC and finish the giants with wrath, swipe, or argent commanders. Warriors seemed like free wins. Silence their draw/armor power creatures and go for face.

I think I will finally be able to play some more fun druid token decks with the new naxx cards now that I hit my goal :D Hope this helps someone maybe
Edited by john on 7/26/2014 1:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the write-up! Congrats on making legend! I'm not quite there yet. I like how you blamed losses on your skill and was determined to get past it. Well done!
Reply Quote
thanks for the reply. I now have a 70% win rank in legend @ 30 games with the same deck :). Reached rank 100 but didn't play the past 2 days and dropped to 115.

http://i.imgur.com/6FhU6df.png

Yes, I was definitely frustrated during the climb and while bad beats happen, I now realize that there were a lot of mistakes as well. All the losses and up and downs made me a better player for sure.

good luck to you
Reply Quote
john

This season was my first attempt at ever going for legendary.. it is my first season playing constructed and I started about 2 weeks ago with druid only (mainly arena player). This is a very long post, but this was nearly a two week grind with so many ups and downs.. just gotta write about it.

At first, I just wanted to get golden druid, but as I rose up to near rank 5, I thought I might have a shot at legend: I used a standard ramp/taunt druid all the way to rank 5 fairly easily.

Early last week, I was fluctuating between rank 4-6 with a ramp/taunt druid and really getting in depth with learning strategy and meta. Aggro, face type decks were MUCH more common around rank 4+ than they were at rank 1-3, which is mostly zoo, handlock, and miracle.

I was stuck for about 3-4 days at around rank 5.. It was so frustrating that I thought it would be impossible to reach legend without win streaks. Every game just seemed like luck of the draw, getting black knighted or your trees getting silenced, but now I realize how many mistakes I was making since I was still new and learning.. I thought to myself, "screw it, I'm just going to get golden druid, legend is way too hard.."

I kept switching my decks after losing streaks trying token and ramp with all the variations.. I even shamelessly attempted to try zoo a couple games even though I sucked at it. I was best at druid however.

Mass taunt druid made for long and frustrating games, which I feel is a negative for grinding up ranks.. especially vs control players.

I searched forums for other people struggles and found another guys deck (I think his name is Nuba but I can't find the thread..) saying he reached legend pretty easily.. He called it "Mid Charger" and used Violet Teachers without Power of the Wilds (I thought this was insane).
Reply Quote
Thank you for this informative post. It is one of the better posts I've read in this forum section. You tackled two things:
1. Complete Deck guide
2. Insights on climbing Legend for those who have not reached it yet.

It helps immensely to gauge how much it takes to reach Legend. I myself would've stopped if I kept losing ranks in the last 5 ranks.

I stopped climbing now and just wait for all Naxx cards to come up and see the meta.

I also run quite a similar deck but instead of Senjins, I run Yeti. What do you think of Senjins vs Yetis? Why Senjin over Yeti? for Zoo?

I don't have Cenarius too so I use Cairne. How essential is Cenarius? I have the dusts necessary to craft him but I am actually thinking of having Kel'Thuzad for that spot instead in the future (but that's still ~4 weeks from now). And dusts does not come fast so I need to be sure on what I'll craft. But hey, I got an extra 800 from dusting a Golden Eaglehorn Bow :P

Thanks!
Edited by Raycab on 7/30/2014 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/30/2014 01:37 PMPosted by Raycab
Thank you for this informative post. It is one of the better posts I've read in this forum section. You tackled two things:
1. Complete Deck guide
2. Insights on climbing Legend for those who have not reached it yet.

It helps immensely to gauge how much it takes to reach Legend. I myself would've stopped if I kept losing ranks in the last 5 ranks.

I stopped climbing now and just wait for all Naxx cards to come up and see the meta.

I also run quite a similar deck but instead of Senjins, I run Yeti. What do you think of Senjins vs Yetis? Why Senjin over Yeti? for Zoo?

I don't have Cenarius too so I use Cairne. How essential is Cenarius? I have the dusts necessary to craft him but I am actually thinking of having Kel'Thuzad for that spot instead in the future (but that's still ~4 weeks from now). And dusts does not come fast so I need to be sure on what I'll craft. But hey, I got an extra 800 from dusting a Golden Eaglehorn Bow :P

Thanks!

I'm not the OP but personally, I often switch around Yeti's and Shieldmasters. I'd say take 2-3 of them as solid 4 drops. Sometimes 1 Yeti 2 Sen'jin, sometimes 2 Yeti 1 Sen'jin, sometimes just 1 of each...they're really as good as each other so just do what you feel is the correct mix for the amount of zoo/notzoo you face xD

Cenarius is not essential. He's effective, but not essential...I used to have him, but as a 9 drop I feel he just doesn't fulfill that role well enough. But he's alright.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]