Deathlord Deathrattle Experiment (Priest)

Earlier today I got the sudden urge to experiment with Deathlord and see just how terrible his Deathrattle really is.
NOTE: I am playing in Casual mode since I didn't want to drop ranks because I mulliganed every card I could for Deathlord (even good starter cards), but the concept still applies.

Test video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEuBDLiJGA&list=UUa9knrCmYgcPCqOxSAdVOvQ
Reply Quote
I used SW:D on another priest's Deathlord on turn 3. Pulled my spectral knight out. He conceded immediately.
Reply Quote
You mean SW:P?
Reply Quote
Yes! SW:Pain! XD
Reply Quote
Seems like everyone is generally having better experiences with the Deathlord than I. Nothing too crazy got thrown out onto the field for you. I had some horrific minions (Giants, Rag, Ysera, Earth Elemental, Ironbark, etc) come onto the board and I couldn't do anything with what I had at the time.

Not too mad as it's the nature of RNG and I too was just putting the card out in Casual play just to see what happened.

It does have it's place in slowing down some early aggro but it won't be in my main Priest deck. I'll more than likely find a home for the Deathlord in one or two of my other Priest decks.
Reply Quote
Just consider how unlucky you've been when you used to try mindgames, and now consider that you're casting a 4 mana mindgames for free (for your opponent) once your 2/8 3 mana minion dies.
Reply Quote
This card is incredible vs aggro, and I run tons of silence when fighting control decks.
Reply Quote
It's all about using it at the right time.. If you are facing an aggro plop that thing down turn 3... If you are facing a control then why the hell would you put it down turn 3. Save it until you really need it and it could save your life. Its all about reacting to your opponent which is something the priest class has always been. Be smart about how you play it and it won't be as risky. Sure by the nature of the card sometimes you will get f****d but so far the card has been performing very well for me personally. I was one of those people who really questioned it at first also but after playing with it, well its changing my mind
Reply Quote
I have a question about this deathlord... when he pulls out a minion for your opponent, is that minion out of the deck forever?
Reply Quote
08/11/2014 10:37 AMPosted by FishForce
I have a question about this deathlord... when he pulls out a minion for your opponent, is that minion out of the deck forever?

from what i've read, it pulls that specific minion out of their deck. it doesn't copy it. that means if your opponent has 2 Chillwind Yetis in their deck and your Deathlord summons one for them, then they now have 1 Yeti left in their deck.
Reply Quote
Well best part for me was when it summoned an Ancient of War. When they are summoned through Death Lords death rattle, it doesn't proc battlecry.

I suppose it's mainly bad against decks like the handlock.
Reply Quote
If you're playing vs a control deck make sure you have sw:d in your hand, that way you can deal with a harder minion if it pulls one, unless it's a 4 attack one, in which case, pray to the rng gods more :p
Reply Quote
I love the card but I only use it if I have a SW:D in my hand, if I don't then I don't want to risk losing the game because I can't deal with a rag or something. But most of the time it's in my favor because it ignores any battlecry so if it pulls a lotheab then its (at least I'd like to think) in my favor

Also if I'm against priest I save it for late game, they can always just sw:p it or Shadow madness or CSP or something, they just have to many answers to it and late game there is a good chance they don't have any minions or you have an answer to ones they do
Reply Quote
It can really help or it can really hurt you, honestly it's just all RNG
I've had things like Tirion/Ragnaros been played because of it's deathrattle and then I've had positive ones like Earthen Ring Farseer or Buzzard

It's just a giant pile of RNG
However it's great against zoo so I'll take it
Reply Quote
Is this why I've run into priests 7 of my last 8 matches?

Seriously sick of it...they all play so slow, like their a few cards short of a full deck if you know what I mean... so a match that should take 10 minutes takes 35 instead.

That...and thoughsteal always comes away with exactly the right cards, may as well just autoconcede against the perfect drawing priests I run into every match.
Reply Quote
Playing a shaman. I was feeling good--I got a death lord out on turn three, and used inner fire on turn 4 to create the monster 8/8. The next turn, the shaman plays reincarnate, killing the death lord, removing the buff, and getting a fire elemental on the board. The next turn, the shaman uses a spell + fire elemental to kill the reincarnated death lord, getting another fire elemental on turn 6. Things did not go well after that (using sylvanas to steal my ragnoros was what finished it).
Reply Quote
DL is mainly an anti-aggro anti-zoo card, since there it's more likely to pull out something you can nuke with A.O.E anyway

The only combos I can see with it (aside from silencing it with Wailing) is if it plucks a super high powered creature and you get to use a removal spell (or, if incredibly lucky, a mind control/faceless) on your opponent's win condition.

Otherwise, you could just get lucky. Seems every time I kill a deathlord, the bastard pulls out my Argus. Every. Damn. Time.
Reply Quote
08/13/2014 09:09 AMPosted by IHT133
I love the card but I only use it if I have a SW:D in my hand, if I don't then I don't want to risk losing the game because I can't deal with a rag or something. But most of the time it's in my favor because it ignores any battlecry so if it pulls a lotheab then its (at least I'd like to think) in my favor

I'm not so sure. You're not considering the fact that the enemy player paid ZERO in mana and tempo to get that Loatheb out. I'd trade the battlecry for that gladly.
Edited by moljac024 on 8/16/2014 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's quite a double-sliced minion. Still I like to have it in my deck to counter Zoo. It kills a lot of minions or force them to use Soulfire early. The only mob realy annoying that can appear would be the Doomgard without its battlecry.
Against other classes, I often don't care using it, knowing it will be killed because of the board presence on the other side, because I have a auchenai+CoH in hand (if you also have a SW:D, then it's perfect ^^), and it's just one more free mob to be killed.

So I think the main point of using it is having an AoE or a good removal for next turn (mainly Auchenai + CoH).

Some funny moments :

Yzera poping at turn 3/4, ok GG ^^.
Leeroy poping for a Miracle Rogue and just get killed next turn.
Van cleef poping (whoa a legendary 2/2 !).
Probably the best draw you can have, make Alexstraza pop and SW:D it next turn. (it works quite well against freezing mage as they don't have a lot of minions).
A lot of druid minions that can be handled just after with Auchenai + Coh.

Like said above, depending on what you are facing, you have to be careful on how and when use this minion.
Reply Quote
1 aspect of the Deathlord that you guys didn't pay enough attention to is that minions summoned by him don't activate their battlecries. So if you're facing a Druid for example you can freely summon a KotG, DotC, AoL and AoW, etc, and they'll be significantly less useful than the Druid would want them to be. It can also summon the likes of Defender of Argus and Sunfury Protector denying your opponent crucial taunting capabilities. The key is to know what deck you're playing against and time your Deathlord accordingly, minimizing its risk while also trying to make something good out of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]