Using Prophet Velen = also use 1 Mind Blast?

i'm building a Priest deck right now, and it's going to be similar (for the most part) to what Amaz and Trump run. the problem, though, is that i don't have 3,200 dust to craft Ragnaros and Sylvanas. the only non-Naxx legendary i have is Prophet Velen, and i have all of the Naxx legendaries that have been released so far too.

i was thinking of running Velen and Loatheb as a replacement for Rag and Sylvanas, but i'm wondering if it's worth it to stick one Mind Blast in there too. i know it's a dead card without Velen, but is it worth running one for 10 burst damage when i drop Velen?
Reply Quote
Pretty Much, i wouldn't run two though, two can be a problem with dead weight
Reply Quote
I've been using Velen/MB as my finisher and it's been working real well for me. Believe it or not if you are patient and control the board well, you'll find a lot of times they cannot remove Velen and you can wreck them even more the next turn (providing you didn't have them at 10 Health)
Reply Quote
Do you think people would have the brains to remove Pint-Sized Summoner played turn 9?

turn 10 -> velen double mind blast.
Alternatively no summoner needed with the coin.

I can't imagine any other way to utilize 2x mind blast, unless you don't mind throwing one out for 5 damage.

edit: wrong card name.
Edited by Jushiro on 8/15/2014 8:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorcerer's Apprentice is a Mage class card. but yeah, that would definitely be cool if there was a way to get both Mind Blasts on turn 10 without having to save the coin for the entire game.
Reply Quote
Yep - the Velen/MB combo is the way to go and it works often - a lot of people never see it coming. If you have a Smite in hand as well and wait until turn 10 you can throw out 14 damage in one turn and leave a 7/7 fattie on the board for the enemy to deal with.

Velen's not half as bad as people make him out to be IMO.

Also, Loatheb should be a decent enough replacement for Sylvanas, although I'd be more inclined to copy Zetalot's Prophecy Priest deck rather than Amaz's or Trump's because Zetalot is a Velen deck player (he doesn't play Rag at all). If you watch some of his streams you can see how effective Velen can be when played in a good deck (although he's currently running a new Deathrattle deck which doesn't include Velen).
Reply Quote
I don't think Velen or Maxxy are even close to reliable enough to warrant replacing Rag/Windrunner

Rag and Windrunner may be RNG knobs, but it's practically impossible to get value out of Velen the turn you play him (unless it's turn nine and you fancy a pyro-blast for 2 mana, or a twice powered heal) and incredibly unlikely that he will live past that turn you play him. Still, with careful play he might be a good replacement (he's just far less reliable).

Maxxy is weird. Against most classes, she'll keep an empty board clear for a turn or two. If your opponent is ahead, however, I've found she just doesn't do enough. Against druids, I hope you like an 2/8 for 6. Against priest, it's practically a dead draw (or worse, Cabal fodder). Again, far less reliable.

TL,DR: Velen might work okay, but I'm not confident in Maxxy. F&S (and daddy thaddy) would probably be more efficient replacements, if you can find the slot for the two of them.

If you're awash in Naxx stuff, you could just make a mid-range priest until you get the gold/dust for the more expensive stuff. Spectral Knights, Loatheb, F&S, plus Dark Cultist, and (if you have them) Blademasters and soul priest with circle of healing make for quite the solid deck. I am not Amaz, though, so I can't say it will be as effective as his deck.
Edited by Quentin on 8/15/2014 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
what made you bring up Maexxna? there's no way i'm running that piece of crap lol.
Reply Quote
Oh wow, selective dyslexia

Somehow Naxx legendaries became Maexxna

Loatheb is much much better :p

I think I would sooner run S&L over Velen and mindblast, though. It's not that Velen is not worth it without mindblast, but he's fairly combo dependent regardless whereas S&L function as cost-efficient bodies (although S does to a much lesser degree) even without the combo death-rattle. When you already have to manage soul priest and cleric and blademasters, I think you'd be better off with more self-sufficient minions.

Plus, without his ability, Velen is just a War Golem :X
Edited by Quentin on 8/15/2014 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thanks for the suggestion, i'll take that into consideration. at the very least, it seems like it would be fun to give them a test run.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]