Any other Priest only running 1 SW:D now?

Hi Guys,

I am noticing that 2 SW:D feel a bit like overkill currently with so many aggro decks running about.

I dropped one SW:D and picked up 1 SW:P to deal with deathlords.

My deck seems way better now.

Anybody else only running 1?
Reply Quote
In fact, most decent Priest Deck only run 1 SW: D and 1 or 0 SW: P because they are too situational. If you have Wild Pyromancer, you can try to run 0 SW:P (put two holy smite instead) and 1 SW: D. If you don't have Pyromancer, keep at least 1 SW: P and 1 SW: D.
Reply Quote
I only have 1 SWD with my current deck
Reply Quote
1 death, 2 pain for me (too much zoo!)

Trying to get more out of death by running Alchemists, but I don't think it'll amount to much more than a gimmick
Reply Quote
any time you have to plan to use two cards to do the job of one, you are nerfing yourself.

choose combo cards (crazed alchies, abusives, etc) as activators that synergize with other effevts in your deck.

then, you wont be *relying* on them to show up, but pleasently surprised when they are useful and not dead half combos.
Reply Quote
I run two death. Zoo runs 2 doomguards, and sometimes even a 4/4 zoo minion is buffed to 5 attack from dire wolf or argus and it is useful. Against handlock having 2 death is vital.

Hunters run double Highmane, druids have multiple 5 attack minions. The only deck which doesn't run multiple 5 attack minions is backspace rogue.
Reply Quote
I use two of both pain and death in my current priest deck, you just really need those two deaths against decks that they are useful against or you instantly lose, like handlock or control warrior. Until recently I didn't use any pains, but with how popular sludge belcher and especially deathlord is currently, two pains are now good, deathlord is the most value you can ever hope to get from pain.
Reply Quote
I run two of both, SP: D especially is a straight-up value card, and 5+ attack minions are common in all types of decks.

The real problem I'm having is my 3 drops, and I guess SP: D is 3 mana but it's not really a turn 3 play, but with Injured Blademaster, Deathlord (which I love just constantly healing to get so much value) and Dark Cultist, I can't decide which to choose.
Reply Quote
08/16/2014 11:52 PMPosted by SansNickel
I run two of both, SP: D especially is a straight-up value card, and 5+ attack minions are common in all types of decks.

The real problem I'm having is my 3 drops, and I guess SP: D is 3 mana but it's not really a turn 3 play, but with Injured Blademaster, Deathlord (which I love just constantly healing to get so much value) and Dark Cultist, I can't decide which to choose.

I personally ditched the blademasters, since its only good if comboed with circle, while the other two work just fine without combos.
Reply Quote
I've never used more than 1 SW: D and 1 Mind Control in my decks and no SW: P at all. I just hated them sitting in my hand without anything to use on. Up to now I've always had 2x Smite in my deck, because it stays useful throughout the game.
But in the current meta a SW: P is something I'm considering again. But I doubt I'll ever add more than 1, too restrictive, and priest decks have enough issues as it is :/

Not using Deathlord either, helps against aggro, but any midrage/control and it's a dead card (unless you run inner fire / the silencing shade which I don't). I'm using Blademaster, Earthen Ring Shaman and Dark Cultist in the 3 slot. They work great together, also with CoH and Auchenai. Still struggling with Zombie Chow, can't decide if I like it more than Lightwarden.
Reply Quote
Two death, zero pain.
Reply Quote
I get what you guys are saying. For me I actually felt like wild pyro and holy smite was enough but with the poison spider and deathlord running around it is coming in very handy lately.

I did decided to take Mind Control out of the closet against other control decks recently. Seems like most Priest have dropped the card so it seems that most people are not planning for it as much as they used to.

The main reason I decided to drop a SW:D is because I am fighting against so much Zoo/Aggro and if I have one or 2 minions on the board then I can trade with a Doomguard pretty easy or run a 2 drop into it plus a holy fire.

Also not sure about you guys but I am seeing a ton more sunwalkers and those are the hardest for me to take out. SW:D just doesnt help me with the minions really giving me problems right now. One just feels right until the meta changes.
Reply Quote
08/16/2014 10:43 PMPosted by Klaital
I use two of both pain and death in my current priest deck, you just really need those two deaths against decks that they are useful against or you instantly lose, like handlock or control warrior.

I actually haven't run into all that many handlocks or control warriors. I'm sort of shocked about it... but it does seem they are rather unpopular decks on the ladder atm. In that environment, definitely only running on death.

I could be sold to add a pain though, with so much aggro and sludge belchers in the game.
Reply Quote
08/17/2014 09:15 AMPosted by KingDX
deathlord

This does make me consider running pain, but I will continue to gold off for now.

Or possibly run a single pain down the road. I have 1 shadow madness for this though. We'll see.
Reply Quote
I stopped using SW:D and replaced it for a Big Game Hunter. Sure, the minion has to have an attack of 7 or higher but that's usually the case. You won't believe how many times I used this insane dwarf on big targets. Plus it leaves a 4/2 on the board.
Reply Quote
I guess I'm crazy or stupid but I'm currently playing a Priest deck with no SW:P or SW:D.

I have 2 Holy Smites and 2 Holy Novas to use against aggro and zoo decks. I just calculated the average mana for my deck and it's 2.7 lol; guess that is too low? Strangely I haven't had any major problems in the late game with my deck being underpowered. I'm still tweaking it to better deal with aggro and zoo decks. Love the trial and error of figuring out what I like best.
Reply Quote
Cabal shadow priest is pretty much my SWP so i dont use one since i run a deathrattle deck and deathlords and usually win against any agro decks, I just run 1 SWD.

Really it depends on what deck your running with when you decide how many swp's or swd's u need.
Reply Quote
I always run 2 SW:D....
Reply Quote
It may be a crutch but I cannot seem to move away from 2 SW:D, I've found that when I experiment with only using one, I am usually wishing I had that second one to deal with an issue on the board.
Reply Quote
08/18/2014 10:47 AMPosted by RwEightyFive
It may be a crutch but I cannot seem to move away from 2 SW:D, I've found that when I experiment with only using one, I am usually wishing I had that second one to deal with an issue on the board.

Yeah today I was fighting a Zoo and his first Doomguard came out right at turn 5 which forced me to use my only SW:D very early, luckily his last Doomguard came out on turn 9 and once I got 10 mana I mind-controlled it for the win.

I definitely miss my second SW:D vs handlock and warrior but still a ton of aggro and mid-range decks currently so 1 bad match-up out of 10 games isnt bad.

Pretty sure my new deck is hovering around 63 - 67% win rate which I feel pretty good about. Only real match ups giving me issues is handlock(rare, but they always give me issues regardless) and I am not really seeing Miracle currently. Other than that Zoo is pretty easy unless I get the worst possible opening hand.

If control starts to pop up more on the ladder then I will drop my SW:P for SW:D.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]