Secret Giants Mage - Deck Release

Images

Deck List - http://i.imgur.com/rdlTrYe.jpg
Hearthpwn Link - http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/89239-secret-giants-mage
Giant Comeback 1 - http://i.imgur.com/zz0vYlt.jpg

I've been messing with mixing Secrets Mage with Giants Mage, and I've grown to feel like it's much better than the previous Giants Mage. The current ladder meta might give you some trouble, but I'm absolutely sure this is going to become a thing.

The Basics

The deck focuses on surviving until you can abuse your late game minions. There are a lot of combos, and thinking about what minions you want to Duplicate, and what spell you might want to Counter Spell, is key to success.

The Twilight Drakes and Mountain Giants of this deck are enabled by card draw, and by duplicate, which can fill your hand up quite quickly. However if you are not under pressure I would actually suggest trying to set-up Duplicate so that it Duplicates one of your late game threats, which is often enough to overwhelm any control matchup.

Mad Scientist plays a big part in this decks ability to deal with early game pressure, as it will likely play a Duplicate for you when it dies, granting you some free minions to help deal with what's on the board. It can also set up an Ethereal Arcanist play on turn 3 (with coin), or turn four.

How To Mulligan

Generally in your starting hand against control matchups you want a Loot Hoarder or a Mad Scientist for a turn two play, arcane intelligence or duplicate for a turn three play, and a big minion for turn four or five.

Against aggressive decks, you will want your usual Loot Hoarder or a Mad Scientist, and some kind of removal for turn three, usually followed up by a minion you can play on turn four.

Matchups

Warrior

This matchup can go really late into the game, so just try to Duplicate big minions. Get your big minions on the board, and make sure to not over extend into Brawl. Essentially this matchup is won or lost through good use of your Duplicate.

Shaman

This is one of the harder matchups., since he can remove your minions without triggering your Duplicate with hex, and give you frogs. You want to bait removal with your mid-game minions so you can play your Giants. This matchup does not tend to go in my favor, but try and stabilize the board and force him to use his removal on cards that aren't giants, and you can potentially win even this matchup when you get those final taunted giants down.

Rogue

This deck destroys rogue. They don't nearly have the removal to remove all your big threats, and you have countless taunts, ways to remove their Auctioneer, and an Ice Block to render you practically un-burstable. After they trigger your Ice Block you can Alexstrasza yourself, and at that point you essentially win the game.

Paladin

This matchup can go really late into the game, so just try to Duplicate big minions. Keep a Polymorph safe for his Tyrion, and make sure to not over extend into Equality + Consecration.

Hunter

Just try to keep his board clear until you can get up some big taunted minions. If you manage to stabilize through board clear and making more big guys with taunt than your opponent can handle, you can win. When I win this matchup, its often by stabilizing and managing to heal myself with Alexstrasza.

Druid

Stall out the game, clear his board, and get a big taunted minion on the board with a Duplicate, or multiple of them with taunt. Once you have all that, you should win.

Warlock

Most Warlocks have been running zoo lately, So try to stall the game, and your primary goal is to clear the board and get big minions with taunt on the board to win the game.

Mage

Most Mages are messing with the new Secret Mage deck, so in general you should not be to afraid of early pressure, but you need to be able to predict what secrets they are going to play. This will likely be a long game. This game is very dependent on who plays the best around their opponents secrets. You are playing secrets yourself so it shouldn't be too hard to know what kind of secrets they will want to play, and remember to count the secrets you have seen him play, and what could be left.

Priest

Most Priests run a control deck, so play the control game. Twilight Drakes are amazing in this matchup because Priest have trouble dealing with four attack minions, so try to Duplicate them if you can.The Basics
Edited by BurningTitan on 8/23/2014 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You mention several times you need to be smart with the way you play your secrets, yet mad scientist basically pulls them randomly from your deck. have you found this to be an issue?

What rank does this deck begin to go 50:50?
What stats do you have on various class matchups?
Reply Quote
I'm in love with the secret giants variant, it's soooo much fun to play. Glad I'm not the only one!

Personally I run fewer secrets (just duplicates and iceblocks) to make mad scientist more consistent, and I run fewer creatures, which allows more room for control cards, and almost ensures duplicate has a big impact on the game.

Most recently running

2 frost bolt
2 doomsayer
2 mad scientist
2 frost nova
2 duplicate
2 iceblock
2 arcane intellect
2 fireball
2 polymorph
1 faceless manipulator
2 blizzard
2 flamestrike
1 archmage antodias
1 alexstraza
1 pyroblast
2 mountain giant
2 molten giant

This thing does surprisingly well against zoo with its plethora of aoe, and craps all over most control decks by locking down/wiping their board and dropping more giants than they can answer. Iceblock stops most wombos cold.
Flare is annoying, but with answers to all their early game and polys for the highmanes it's actually been going better than you'd think against hunters too.
I'm really suprised more people aren't playing frost giants, it's really underrated.
Reply Quote
I decided to replace a Fireball with a second Polymorph, and one Sludge Belcher with a Sunwalker.

@Octo

Playing your secrets well is important if you are playing them yourself, but any Secret played by a Mad Scientist that can affect the board immediately will generate value with anything it gets early, just because of it being there for free. Later in the game, you can often anticipate your chance at getting each secret, based off what is left in your deck, allowing you to make more calculated decisions.

I've invented this deck and have been doing well so far, but I haven't had a lot of time this week to start really climbing high up the ladder. If I get more time next week I'll try to get you some stats. Sorry, but that's the best I can do at the moment.

@Kris

Nice, though I don't have time to try it right now, so I can't say much. My deck really did start as just being a secret/giant mix, thus the name, but has evolved more into a handmage sort of playstyle. So it's a little less control oriented and comes online faster.
Edited by BurningTitan on 8/22/2014 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i hear you on the coming online faster bit, I had a few games today where i missed a turn of board control due to an out of hand answer to doomsayer , or some deathrattle minions i couldnt clear efficiently, and i just fell too far behind waiting for the blizzards flames strikes and giants to start dropping, i needed more answers earlier.

I made a few changes based off of things from your list. I dropped antonidias and the faceless( Im quite enamored with both but they dont do much good when youre getting aggro'd hard and dont have efficient clears in hand.)
I replaced them both with sludge belchers.
man i gotta tell you the first time i had a zoo player run 2 minions into him (and a third into the slime) and duplicate popped 2 more belchers into my hand it was almost orgasmic lol

also ended up dropping the pyroblast(admitedly a leftover from the straight freeze mage i used to run.. while the golden version did look awesome sitting in my hand all game it was time to go ) and a poly for 2x ethereal anarcists, i have iceblock chilling in play so often he almost always powers up when he hits the table. Last game i played before work today I had 3 of them in play, after losing 2 to shadow words. They just stomped anything that hit the table. Im really really liking them.
Reply Quote
I've now dropped the Mirror Image in exchange for a second fireball to make my deck more consistent, and to give the deck a bit more burst. I'm really happy with it right now, and I've renamed it to Duplicate Giants Mage. I have updated the OP a bit as well.

The New Deck List - http://i.imgur.com/rdlTrYe.jpg

08/23/2014 12:01 AMPosted by krisbot4000
i hear you on the coming online faster bit, I had a few games today where i missed a turn of board control due to an out of hand answer to doomsayer , or some deathrattle minions i couldnt clear efficiently, and i just fell too far behind waiting for the blizzards flames strikes and giants to start dropping, i needed more answers earlier.

I made a few changes based off of things from your list. I dropped antonidias and the faceless( Im quite enamored with both but they dont do much good when youre getting aggro'd hard and dont have efficient clears in hand.)
I replaced them both with sludge belchers.
man i gotta tell you the first time i had a zoo player run 2 minions into him (and a third into the slime) and duplicate popped 2 more belchers into my hand it was almost orgasmic lol

also ended up dropping the pyroblast(admitedly a leftover from the straight freeze mage i used to run.. while the golden version did look awesome sitting in my hand all game it was time to go ) and a poly for 2x ethereal anarcists, i have iceblock chilling in play so often he almost always powers up when he hits the table. Last game i played before work today I had 3 of them in play, after losing 2 to shadow words. They just stomped anything that hit the table. Im really really liking them.

I actually returned to two Polymorphs, because I am not playing Doomsayers and it really helps me in control matchups.

Sludge Belchers are amazing, and almost every control deck now a days seems to run it to deal with aggro. The faceless is something I would consider in a more control oriented meta, but right now there is a lot of Hunter being played on the ladder.

Anarcist is an amazing four drop for a secrets deck, but I'm only playing one of them due to only playing one Ice Block.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]