Big Game Hunter

The most undervalued card in hearthstone along with its companion the dark iron dwarf. These buddies have devastated opponents for me, dropping many a 5+ minion and clearing big guys along the way. Rush deck getting you down? Doom guard just dropped? Dead, plus 2solid minions on the board. Lion? No prob. And look, 2 minions to clean up the deathrattle. I love these guys.
Reply Quote
The problem with that combo is it's rather expensive. At 8 mana for the combo there's probably a better answer to solving a mid-range card that your opponent has played.
Edited by Xathra on 8/26/2014 5:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's only seven mana and includes 2 strong (but not overpowered) drops. Most removals do no add board presence like this.
Reply Quote
Dark Iron Dwarf is a great 4 drop in its own right that Zoo decks consistently use. The problem is that a 4 drop that doesn't have charge is a bit too slow for pure aggro decks like Shockadin, aggro Warlock(aka fake Zoo), etc, and most mid-range decks have plenty of other options from their respected classes to fill the 4 drop slot instead of it. Big Game Hunter was great when Handlock was popular and when other control decks(Druid, Warrior, etc) ran Ragnaros, Alextrasza and other fatties. These days Ramp Druids only have less and less fatties for BGH to kill, even control Warrior is much more early game focused so it can deal with the various fast decks out there. So BGH doesn't have enough decks with viable targets in them to be played. Also combining BGH with Dark Iron Dwarf(if that's what you meant) is a 7 mana combo to kill a 5 attack minion(so typically a 5 drop), just not worth it. Besides, you have Mark of the Wild or even Abusive Sergeant to get the same +2 damage to bring enemy minions into BGH range, making the combo cheaper thus available sooner, but still it's too situational to be played seriously.
Reply Quote
Voids, van clef, buffed minions (especially paladins) dooms, elementals, loetheb, ancients, lions, kel, Leroy, rags, that Mage legendary (forgot the name), velen, even ysera if you got a mark as well, as well as other legendaries run by the warrior in particular.

I find targets and when you kill one it helps keep board control. I don't play for speed. Besides, in a pinch the BGH will still trade one for one and the dwarf is a good buff card plus decent stat line. This combo creates tempo in your favor. Plus it is really fun destroying big minions, especially legendaries! With the mindless rush decks going away and more control decks sneaking in, these guys are becoming handier.
Reply Quote
So you play 2 BGH and 2 dwarves?

Otherwise I see the combo as a little unreliable.
Reply Quote
Oh, and abs sgt is good, just running enough low drops already. His stat line doesn't compare with the dwarf and I prefer marks over him because of versatility. Mark an enemy and destroy it with BGH or black knight. Buff my own minion. Sooooooo many good options.
Reply Quote
Yes, and 2 marks. Find it an enjoyable deck to play with. No ramp though, so many Druids turn up there nose at it which is fine. The ramp druid is pretty good (though on even draw I more than hold my own against ramp)
Reply Quote
Pulling off the combo seems decent, but there are too many other better cards you can play to keep board control without having to wait for your opponent to present the combo for you. Main problem is if you play anyone who knows how to keep board control and make good plays without mistakes, you'll have used Dark Iron Dwarf already or it won't even matter cuz they will be stacked 2 turns ahead with the same amount of cards as you. .
Edited by Plaguespree on 8/26/2014 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The best thing about these cards is that all is not lost. The dwarf gets good value. You do not need the combos to win. The problem with druid is you need to play one BGH to be safe. If not, the options are not good. Why not run 2? How do you kill doom guard without wiping your board clean? This combo ADDS to your board. Anyway, your arguments are all valid. I'll keep plugging away until the druid class gets a kill card that does not give my opponent 2 cards.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]