scientist -> SI:7 battlecry, result bug/WAD

Just had this happen in an arena match and I was wondering if I should report this as a bug or if the community figured this is WAD

My mage opponent had the mad scientist on the board on turn 2. I coined SI7 to take it out with the battlecry. The deathrattle placed a random secret on the board, so far so good.
But that secret turned out to be mirror entity and immediatly copied my SI7 for my opponent.

Mechanics wise battlecries always take effect before secrets, so that is not strange but even so the minion has been played: its just the order of doing things. The secret was placed after the SI7 was placed so I do not feel it should trigger.

Should I take this to the bug forum or do you guys disagree with me. My guess is this event will happen with fire elementals, dwarven rifleman and elven archers aswell but I have not tested it..
Reply Quote
08/26/2014 12:28 AMPosted by Gruzmog
The secret was placed after the SI7 was placed so I do not feel it should trigger.

It was played before it, Battlecry > Deathrattle > Summon
Reply Quote
And what do you base that on? The card is displayed as being on the field.

While a regular battlecry atleast says 'does something when played from the hand' a combo like in the case of SI7 does not even say that. So then its only displayed as being on the field when the chain of events as described earleir goes off.
Reply Quote
08/26/2014 02:01 PMPosted by Gruzmog

While a regular battlecry atleast says 'does something when played from the hand' a combo like in the case of SI7 does not even say that. So then its only displayed as being on the field when the chain of events as described earleir goes off.

Always think of the Deathrattle as something the minion does moments before it dies, as once something is dead it can, by very definition, do nothing.

SI:7 does not say that because SI:7 is not a Battlecry, it is a Combo. Combos are like Battlecries, except they have the added caveat of needing another card played first during that turn to trigger. If you play SI:7 before any other card, you do not get to deal instant damage. When it is summoned on the field, the "summoner" had not played a card before it, so no Combo (or Combos are like Battlecries and are only triggered when played directly from a player's hand; take your pick)

Here is the sequence of events as I see it:
1) Mage plays Scientist and ends his turn
2) Rogue plays Coin
3) Rogue plays SI:7 with resultant Combo
4) Before SI:7 hits the board, the Combo effect kills the poor Scientist (and he was just two days from his PhD, too!)
5) Before the SI:7 lands, the dead Scientist brings out the Mirror Entity secret
6) SI:7 hits the battlefield (finally!), triggers the secret
7) Secret copies the SI:7, resulting in one on each side of the battlefield

Does that make sense?
Reply Quote
08/26/2014 02:01 PMPosted by Gruzmog

Jonos has it correct. You have to understand the order in which effects are added to and resolved from the chain. SI:7 isn't actually on the field yet. Think of it as hovering-over-the-field trying to come into play.
Reply Quote
Throwing in my 2 cents, if you wish to cancel SI7 agents combo effect you can simply right click on an empty spot on the board and it leaves the battlefield and goes back into your hand.

So yeah combo must be used before the SI7 actually hits the field.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]