Arena Rewards

Arena rewards feel a little lackluster. I spent about an hour and a half inside the Arena to go 3-3 to receive:

40 gold
1 pack of cards

Now, if you count the participation fee (150 gold), I basically just paid 110 gold and an hour and a half of time for what I could've had instantly for 10 gold less. With the amount of randomness involved in arena, I would almost expect to go 50/50 most of the time.

Doesn't feel very fun to do average and be "punished" for your time.

Edit: Just to offer some possible solutions, raising the cost of packs or lowering the cost of Arena entrance.
Edited by Weilhart on 8/17/2013 3:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The problem isn't with the Arena rewards, the problem is that you are thinking of Arena purely in terms of rewards. Arena is fun in and of itself. Sure, you could have just bought the pack and not spent an hour and a half in the Arena, but most people would rather spend the hour and a half in the Arena. Because it's awesome. I don't want people coming into the Arena just for the rewards. You should genuinely want to be there.
Reply Quote
Arena rewards feel a little lackluster. I spent about an hour and a half inside the Arena to go 3-3 to receive:

40 gold
1 pack of cards

Now, if you count the participation fee (150 gold), I basically just paid 110 gold and an hour and a half of time for what I could've had instantly for 10 gold less. With the amount of randomness involved in arena, I would almost expect to go 50/50 most of the time.

In arena you get at least 1 pack of cards. 1 pack of cards = 100gold

So basically, the participation fee is about 50g to have fun and get some rewards, i personally dont find this much expensive.
Reply Quote
Not to mention it's access to an entirely different style of playing, namely, draft mode. I love drafts and find them to be a really fun and exciting way of playing these sorts of games. I would gladly pay 50g, as Feloriand points out, for that experience.
Edited by Aftermath on 8/17/2013 7:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And when you get 7 wins you get 150g...enough for a re-entry. I was watching some streams of guys who went 9-2...They also got 1 pack, 150g...and then some bonus gold and dust. So you really didn't get THAT much less than someone who plays really well.

In the end, if you want to get better rewards, you'll have to get better at that style of play. If you're like me, and you suck terrible at drafting, then it's just kind of a pass time where you didn't really lose out because you're still guaranteed a pack from it. Then again...I'm hoping that once I get to dive in, I'll get better and start making it to 7 wins more often :)
Reply Quote
Well, the point is I'd rather play with my own cards and buy the packs cheaper. If the fun part of arena is the possibility of drafting 10 fireballs and not the possible rewards then it might be reaching a smaller audience. I'm not saying that's bad, just giving the feedback.
Edited by Weilhart on 8/17/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In arena you get at least 1 pack of cards. 1 pack of cards = 100gold

So basically, the participation fee is about 50g to have fun and get some rewards, i personally dont find this much expensive.

This :) In my oppinion this is perfect and a great play mode.
Reply Quote
08/17/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Weilhart
Well, the point is I'd rather play with my own cards and buy the packs cheaper. If the fun part of arena is the possibility of drafting 10 fireballs and not the possible rewards then it might be reaching a smaller audience. I'm not saying that's bad, just giving the feedback.

It sounds to me like you just don't enjoy the style of play that Arena encompasses. Many, many people do, and will gladly pay to play it. Drafts are a hugely popular form of play in card games and people throw down way more money for less reward in MTGO. This is not a small audience in any sense of the word. You should probably just stick to playing the normal constructed format.
Reply Quote
I tend to agree with OP, but the rewards do get much higher as you get towards the end. I went 9-2 last night (full complete) and I have a SS of the rewards. They were:

205g
165 dust
1 pack
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
Why do you think you should get more than you spent if you only win half of your games?
Reply Quote
"Getting more than you spent" is one way of looking at it. I looked at it as getting less than if I hadn't put in any effort at all.

The people who will play arena are the ones who enjoy random drafting for its own sake. For the people who are looking just for rewards, playing normally (with a strategically constructed deck) seems to be the safer and faster option (barring several fortuitous drafts).
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
08/17/2013 04:08 PMPosted by Weilhart
The people who will play arena are the ones who enjoy random drafting for its own sake. For the people who are looking just for rewards, playing normally (with a strategically constructed deck) seems to be the safer and faster option (barring several fortuitous drafts).

...working as intended?
Reply Quote
Is it? I'm not a dev.
Reply Quote
While i dont mind the rewards being right at what you spend to get in, is there any word on increased rewards? I know when hearthstone was first announced it was stated that you would win a lot of packs for getting large strings of wins which seems to be completely changed.
Reply Quote
For my perfect 9-0 run I ended up with 1 pack, 150g, and about 180 dust.
Reply Quote
They need to remove the chance of getting ALL Arcane Dust + 1 pack as a reward. What a worthless thing to get if you plan on only playing the Arena, I don't want to craft cards I just want to draft.
Reply Quote
If you play the arena solely for the rewards and consider the time spent doing so a waste of time, the arena isn't for you. That being said, I kind of wish instead of the 1 pack it always gives, it gave 100 gold. I don't think they'd change that though, as by converting your 150g entry fee into 1 pack + other rewards, blizzard is ensuring a bigger investment in the game, as it's much much harder to go infinite.
Edited by Zanzabarr on 8/18/2013 10:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 04:42 PMPosted by Darneous
They need to remove the chance of getting ALL Arcane Dust + 1 pack as a reward. What a worthless thing to get if you plan on only playing the Arena, I don't want to craft cards I just want to draft.

7th win guarateed you 150 gold and a pack. 3 other rewards are random (gold/ dust /golden card)
Reply Quote
Is it true that you can earn packs faster playing constructed format then Arena? I heard you only earn 5gold for winning and 1 gold for losing in constructed format.

Why would you tell people that are only interested in progressing as fast as possible not to play Arena unless there was faster alternate method to earn cards?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]