Shaman's Basic Deck too weak?

I don't know but i lost all my games against normal AI using the Shaman's Basic Deck. After a while, I decided to build my own shaman deck, and then i started to have a big win ratio so i wonder if I am right about that (to be honest, i didn't have any problem with other basic decks like the mage one)
Reply Quote
Hint: many, MANY totems. Once you get Flametongue and Bloodlust, you can absolutely light up the board - while fighting the AI, I easily did 22 damage, in ADDITION to taking out a Taunter. I recommend adding in a few low-cost taunters so that you can have time to build your totems and buff the everliving crap out of them.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 02:57 AMPosted by Honeybadger
Hint: many, MANY totems. Once you get Flametongue and Bloodlust, you can absolutely light up the board - while fighting the AI, I easily did 22 damage, in ADDITION to taking out a Taunter. I recommend adding in a few low-cost taunters so that you can have time to build your totems and buff the everliving crap out of them.

dont rely to much on them, youll have games where you lose boardcontrol and will never get it back
Reply Quote
The Shaman starter deck is definitely weak. Shamans really get good once they get some removal cards, such as Lightning Bolt and Lightning Storm. If you want Shaman to be your main deck, I suggest crafting some good removal cards asap.
Reply Quote
Yea, I think either forked lightning or lightning storm should have been basic. Regaining board position was often a lost cause without any sort of AoE.
Reply Quote
I agree it is very weak. There are simply no big late-game cards. I do very well at the start and then get stomped the second the other side pulls out anything about a 4/4.

Also, it says I have gotten all of these new cards, but the basic deck never seems to pull any of them. I've yet to pull a Bloodlust or a Flametongue totem.
Reply Quote
It doesn't add them to the basic deck, you already have 30 cards in it; you'll have to make your own deck to use the cards you gain.

And the shaman class as a whole feels weak to me, outside of managing to deal 25 damage in one turn if you play your cards right, but I haven't gotten enough cards to judge fully. Although if blizzard wants to balance the deck around the insane windfury+bloodlust combos, I'm not sure Thrall will end up very pleasant to play, and will probably be very gimmicky.
Reply Quote
I agree. I tried playing with the basic shaman deck against all of the other normal AIs, and lost a ton of games, especially compared to my single loss along the way of defeating them with the basic mage deck. Once I crafted a custom deck, I started winning, but I think the basic shaman deck definitely needs to be beefed up.
Reply Quote
Shaman is nigh-unplayable until you unlock Lightning Storm.
Reply Quote
for sure i played shaman with basic deck and im like "shamans suck !@#" after unlocking a lot more cards and shaman cards they are now my main, and im currenty 12/2 in ranked so yeah :D
Reply Quote
Basic decks that start with AoE cards > Basic decks that don't.

Especially when you consider that a few of the decks that don't start with AoE cards rely on board control.
Reply Quote
Ugh. I just finished grinding out the basic cards for Shaman, and I have to join the consensus. The basic deck for Shaman is a punching bag. There's not much point in having healing cards when it feels like none of your minions have more than 1 health.

I made a custom deck just to try and get through. I may as well have not been a shaman, I had so few class cards. Now that I've gotten the basic cards, I won't be back to shaman until I win some more packs.
Reply Quote
08/19/2013 03:23 PMPosted by soulzek
Shaman is nigh-unplayable until you unlock Lightning Storm.

Agreed. I would have my stuff get wiped and have NO WAY to do the same, which can be game changing obviously.
Reply Quote
Also agree I am losing like a ridiculous number of games in a row using the basic shaman deck as I try to level up and gain all the basic shaman cards, this deck needs an extra something because right now its BASICALLY terrible, you can get a gimmick play setup late game if you play double rockbiter, on a charge with windfury and hope they dont have a taunter, other than that almost every possible play you can get is pretty terrible.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Powerspawn
The Shaman starter deck is definitely weak. Shamans really get good once they get some removal cards, such as Lightning Bolt and Lightning Storm. If you want Shaman to be your main deck, I suggest crafting some good removal cards asap.

Quoted for truth. Lightning storm is a must have, since it's basically the only board remover we have.
Reply Quote
Yeah I thought I would level to 10 with the basic deck, but I'm just getting rolled

All I know is I'm really put off playing a shaman after this, I might have to try and create a custom deck and rely on the neutral cards seeing as how I only have a couple of shaman cards
Reply Quote
/signing the "Basic shammy deck needs to be reworked" thread.
Reply Quote
100% agree that basic shaman deck is AWFUL. For reals. If you were just picking up the game for the first time and picked shaman as your first class, you'd probably throw Hearthstone out the window after 20 minutes in practice mode. It's damn near impossible to win against the majority of practice AI classes, and not in a "that was a close game" kind of way, but in a "watch out for rectal drainage for 2-4 days" kind of way.
Reply Quote
I wouldnt go too far with that, as the classes that give me to most trouble are hunters and rogues. I built my deck as a Buff Anything kind of deck. This is built around using my totems as emergency attackers and taunters. As such it relies heavily on Totemic Might, Windfury, Rockbiter Weapon, Ancestral Healing, Flame Tongue Totem, and Windspeakers. Frostwolf Warlord is an ace in the hole if people like ignoring totems. The only overload card I have is Forked Lightning. And I'm missing nearly all of the other cards that everyone mentions here in the thread. Since I don't have Doomhammer, Thrall himself has never been a factor in attacking. So far I put up a decent fight versus the AI and other live players. I've never been in a game where I had everything I needed and still got stomped horribly. I mostly lose due to not drawing a good hand, being outmatched versus better decks, or simply doing something stupid and screwing myself. Awful? Not close. Easy? Not by a long shot either.
Reply Quote
Even with all the unlocked basic cards I find shaman underwhelming. It's super annoying that all the removal spells are elite unlocks. 20-30 packs in and all I have is one lightning bolt and one lightning storm for removal-- not enough to build a deck with at masters level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]