Hunters a bit overpowered?

I finally beat the hunter with the warrior deck. Having the extra armor self buff and getting lucking to draw the axe card, plus lots of minions that can taunt or charge paid off in the end. I never went down from my 30 hp you start with.
Reply Quote
I Think hunters in general are fine. Only op cards are unleash the hounds and snake trap. Unleash the hounds is just a 1 shot cheez build, which everyone runs. The card should be either just +1 damage or charge, not both, or be a 3 mana cost card. Snake trap may need to be moved to 2 snakes instead of 3.
Reply Quote
08/25/2013 12:09 PMPosted by Kithus
Hunters as a class are immensely overpowered. They have way too much control and their beasts are massively undercosted for what they do.

You're the only person I've ever heard since the patch that nerfed hunter beasts that thinks beasts are actually strong compared to to neutral minions.
Reply Quote
Can't beat em, join em, at least until Blizzard does something about Unleash the Hounds. Should increase the cost to 3 so you cant just hold cards and go for a one hit ko mid game. As a side note, I enjoyed Bigcfromrbc's comment. Talk about out of the loop haha.
Reply Quote
The OP is talking about the AI hunter and the basic deck in practice mode. You can beat that with any class man, though maybe the hunter playstyle is more conducive to the way the AI plays. Malfurion is an example of an AI that is seriously confused about their goals in life.
Reply Quote
I'm currently Diamond 3 and I'm here to say Yes. Hunters are overpowered in certain situations at the moment.
They can do 22 damage for 7 mana without any downtime due to charge, and it's not something that's hard to fish for either, especially with tracking.

Although the bots themselves I found hunter one of the easier ones to deal with through the use of the Warlock.
Just match his beast swarm with your demon swarm and out-draw him with your passive when appropriate.
Reply Quote
Kill hunter's monster cards even if it would mean losing your own. I found mage and priest harder than hunter. On normal all the champions are still walk in the park, and expert actually isn't any harder =/
Reply Quote
I have to agree with this thread also. I've just been playing a couple days, but I almost always lose to hunters. The minion cards don't cost enough mana, so they end up swarming you. The hero power needs to be toned down as well. You can pretty much expect to take 2 damage every round because of that.
Reply Quote
i do have to agree with this thread too im about to beging to just give up if i get a hunter as opponent its just ridiculous .... and starting to make me go nuts and just stop playing for a few day keep this going ppl will just play hunter and ruin the game play other class are so fun to play with but i get a hunter opponent 3 out of 4 ... im sick of it rly... fix this in any way u can or other till feel the same way i do and stop playing other class and reroll for hunter only deck ... lame
Reply Quote
I'm too new into Hearthstone ,I couldn't beat him too but after i tried warrior and my first try did it i beated him and my HP at the end was like 20 so.
Reply Quote
I feel like the hunters are a race against a clock. You have to essentially beat them before they hit roughly 7+ mana. At that point they just roll you hordes of beasts at which it's incredibly hard to stop. The beast synergy is just to overbearing. You get cards that give free minions thrown out with cards that give all beasts +1/+1 and they just roll with it. Only way I have found to beat them is to be hyper aggressive at try and go for an early take down. Big minions don't really do anything against them cause they can just mow it down with their crazy out put of creatures. Not to mention the free 2 damage every turn past 5 or 6 really prevents any kind of counter play considering you can't really stop it.
Reply Quote
Hi!

Nothing gives Beasts +1/+1. They also don't recieve free Beasts from anywhere. Hunters are really easy to beat if you just kill their key Beasts such as Starving Buzzard and Scavenging Hyena. When you kill Starwing Buzzards Hunters will run out of cards in few rounds and then they are in top deck mode.

Reason why other AI enemies are easyer than Hunter is that the computer AI is extremely horrible and it can work ok enough with Hunters as the player needs to react to the threads on board or any random play starts to be good.
Reply Quote
My main problem with hunters is cards like multi-shot that are supposed to hit random targets but since I don't generally have that many minions on the field generally just wipe my board for a relatively cheap cost. They also have a lot of other really neat secret cards. Honestly though, i hope instead of nerfing them they just make the other classes work as well as them
Reply Quote
09/05/2013 07:32 PMPosted by Cyankirby
I've been running into issues with the hunter decks as well. The minions seem to build up very quickly and the buff cards such as The Houndmaster make them difficult to take down. Perhaps increase the cost of the buff cards so the opponent can have a chance to take out some of the minions before it get overwhelming.

So you want ot make houndmaster a 5 drop that gives a BEAST +2 +2 and taunt?

When defender of Argus is a neutral minion for 4 mana that can give 2 of ANY minion +1 +1 and taunt.

Buffing is all hunters have got, thats how they play. Should we stop priests from being able to use inner fire and power word shield too?
Reply Quote
Paladins and zoolocks are above average, but huntards are gods in this game. It does not take a genius to do well with a slop hunter deck.

I have come to not expect much out of blizzard as far as practicality and balanced game play go. Their games are enjoyable enough, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting fair game play.

Hunters have it rough with AOE, and anyone dumb enough to have a low mana charge deck. (IE most noobie paladins/priests)
Edited by BIPPERGOES on 4/8/2014 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/20/2013 02:32 AMPosted by Typoko
Hi!

I'm not in the beta so i can't really give straight ansvers how to beat the AI enemy but i'll give few tips how to beat Hunters in general. These guidelines are mainly against Hunters that use Beasts. Hunters that don't use Beasts work completely differently, but it's easy to spot which kind of Hunter it is by the early Minions.

1) Hunters have few key Minions. The highest priority on the game should be shutting down these minions. Scavenging Hyena and Starving Buzzard are the minions that you need to take down when they hit the board. From these Starving Buzzard is the highest priority if the board isn't filled with Beasts already. Good thing that both of these Minions only have 2 health, so any removal that can target with 2 damage or 2 damage AoE will take care of them. Also Silence will make both of them just normal 2/2 Beasts. Silence in general counters Beast synergies and buffs really well. It's good to remember that Silence removes the +2/+2 and Taunt from Houndmasters ability. This should be priority number one if you see the Hunter playing Beasts. There is no overkill when dealing with these cards.

2) Hunter has really limited Card Draw. You you manage to trade cards beneficially, you should be sailing smoothly at the later parts of the game. Taunt Minions and AoE attacks keep the cheaper Beasts in check. Save the AoE cards for 3 or more Beasts and you really pull ahead on card advantage. Big Taunt Minions can be played at any time, but preferably when you have at least one other minion on the board. This way he can't use Deadly Shot reliably and the Hunter has to trade with the Taunt Minion.

3) Learn to work around Traps. If you know nothing what the Trap is it's usually beneficial to try to attack the Hunter first with the weakes Minion you have on the Board. This will trigger Freezing Trap, Misdirection and Explosive Trap. If nothing happens, you know it's either Snake Trap or Snipe. Remember to play something cheap next so you can see if it's a Snipe or Snake Trap. Now you know what the Trap is. If it's left as a secret, you should avoid attacking his Minions untill you have AoE damage that can take care of the three 1/1 snakes. This is expecially crucial if the Hunter has Scavenging Hyena or Starving Buzzard on the table.

4) Hunter has really limited amount of AoE. Only board wide AoE is Explosive Trap and it only does 2 Damage. Other good AoE is Explosive Shot. This does damage to three Minions that are next to each other. It's good to keep valuable minions on the different sides of the board so you can avoid him getting too much down with one card. One way to somewhat counter Explosive Shot is to keep your high Health minions on either side so the other part of the splash gets rendered useless if he wants to kill the high Health Minion. Because of the limited AoE you shouldn't have to keep back your spam of Minions if you have seen some Explosive Traps and Explosive Shots played already.

5) Hunters don't have healing cards. This is good to remember as every point of damage you get in stays there. Don't try to get in to damage trading competition. But if you happen to be ahead of Hunter in Health, go for the Hunter. If you can force him to trade Minions you are in great shape.

TL;DR
1) Don't let Scavenging Hyena and Starving Buzzard to stay on the board. Power in Beasts usually focus on one Minions so save removal or Silence for them.
2) Hunters have really limited Card Draw. Trade cards beneficially and Hunters have hard time catching on. Taunt and AoE.
3) Learn how to work around Traps.
4) Don't fear to spam as much big minions as you happen to have. Hunters have limited amount of AoE and love it when they can take down your Minions one by one.
5) Hunters can't heal or get armor so any damage you get in is valuable.

PS: When i talk about Traps i mean the Hunter secrets... don't have time to correct the text. :)

An "almost" convincing list of why Hunters are fine the way they are, but it doesn't pass the smell test. Every time I come up against a Hunter, no matter what class I play, I say to myself "this time I'm going to beat his face in"...and 8 rounds later I'm dead.

Blizzard really need to re-examine the Hunter class. I only play MY Hunter when I've lost so many times that I need some wins. With that reasoning, the class is clearly OP. /end thread
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 04:06 PMPosted by Cairo
08/20/2013 02:32 AMPosted by Typoko
Hi!

I'm not in the beta so i can't really give straight ansvers how to beat the AI enemy but i'll give few tips how to beat Hunters in general. These guidelines are mainly against Hunters that use Beasts. Hunters that don't use Beasts work completely differently, but it's easy to spot which kind of Hunter it is by the early Minions.

1) Hunters have few key Minions. The highest priority on the game should be shutting down these minions. Scavenging Hyena and Starving Buzzard are the minions that you need to take down when they hit the board. From these Starving Buzzard is the highest priority if the board isn't filled with Beasts already. Good thing that both of these Minions only have 2 health, so any removal that can target with 2 damage or 2 damage AoE will take care of them. Also Silence will make both of them just normal 2/2 Beasts. Silence in general counters Beast synergies and buffs really well. It's good to remember that Silence removes the +2/+2 and Taunt from Houndmasters ability. This should be priority number one if you see the Hunter playing Beasts. There is no overkill when dealing with these cards.

2) Hunter has really limited Card Draw. You you manage to trade cards beneficially, you should be sailing smoothly at the later parts of the game. Taunt Minions and AoE attacks keep the cheaper Beasts in check. Save the AoE cards for 3 or more Beasts and you really pull ahead on card advantage. Big Taunt Minions can be played at any time, but preferably when you have at least one other minion on the board. This way he can't use Deadly Shot reliably and the Hunter has to trade with the Taunt Minion.

3) Learn to work around Traps. If you know nothing what the Trap is it's usually beneficial to try to attack the Hunter first with the weakes Minion you have on the Board. This will trigger Freezing Trap, Misdirection and Explosive Trap. If nothing happens, you know it's either Snake Trap or Snipe. Remember to play something cheap next so you can see if it's a Snipe or Snake Trap. Now you know what the Trap is. If it's left as a secret, you should avoid attacking his Minions untill you have AoE damage that can take care of the three 1/1 snakes. This is expecially crucial if the Hunter has Scavenging Hyena or Starving Buzzard on the table.

4) Hunter has really limited amount of AoE. Only board wide AoE is Explosive Trap and it only does 2 Damage. Other good AoE is Explosive Shot. This does damage to three Minions that are next to each other. It's good to keep valuable minions on the different sides of the board so you can avoid him getting too much down with one card. One way to somewhat counter Explosive Shot is to keep your high Health minions on either side so the other part of the splash gets rendered useless if he wants to kill the high Health Minion. Because of the limited AoE you shouldn't have to keep back your spam of Minions if you have seen some Explosive Traps and Explosive Shots played already.

5) Hunters don't have healing cards. This is good to remember as every point of damage you get in stays there. Don't try to get in to damage trading competition. But if you happen to be ahead of Hunter in Health, go for the Hunter. If you can force him to trade Minions you are in great shape.

TL;DR
1) Don't let Scavenging Hyena and Starving Buzzard to stay on the board. Power in Beasts usually focus on one Minions so save removal or Silence for them.
2) Hunters have really limited Card Draw. Trade cards beneficially and Hunters have hard time catching on. Taunt and AoE.
3) Learn how to work around Traps.
4) Don't fear to spam as much big minions as you happen to have. Hunters have limited amount of AoE and love it when they can take down your Minions one by one.
5) Hunters can't heal or get armor so any damage you get in is valuable.

PS: When i talk about Traps i mean the Hunter secrets... don't have time to correct the text. :)

An "almost" convincing list of why Hunters are fine the way they are, but it doesn't pass the smell test. Every time I come up against a Hunter, no matter what class I play, I say to myself "this time I'm going to beat his face in"...and 8 rounds later I'm dead.

Blizzard really need to re-examine the Hunter class. I only play MY Hunter when I've lost so many times that I need some wins. With that reasoning, the class is clearly OP. /end thread

So, according to you, even when you play the classes that hard-counter hunters you lose? Doesn't that then point to your ability to play with said classes being the issue rather than the class you are complaining about?
Reply Quote
Like all pvp games, one ppl say a thing and other ppl say the oposite thing... My opinion. Hunters are overpower. Pure and continuous damage. When i fight with them, in 4th turn i use to have 15 points of life or less. Very difficult to recover that
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]