Mouse cursor size on OSX

(Locked)

I just want to ask if its intended that the mouse cursor ingame in Hearthstone is really really large on OSX compared to PC?

All the videos and streams I watch its sized at a typical size compared to other games, but on my macbook pro, running at 1680x1050 (fullscreen windowed) the mouse cursor is huuge, like 3-4 times bigger than what I see on streams.

Now my cursor is normal size everywhere else, so its only a hearthstone thing.

Setting somewhere?

Thanks
Blizzard Employee
This uses the OS X cursor size. Is your cursor set to normal in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display?
Yes my mouse is set to normal,

http://i.imgur.com/1n1WCiw.jpg

Here is a screenshot, unfortunately I don't know how to take screenshots in hearthstone on mac? no print screen :P ?? so can't show you using "grab" as that tab's out and then uses the osx mouse cursor.
MVP - Technical Support
Is the cursor normal in full screen mode ?

I've noticed mine seems fine in Full Screen mode but when I turn it off it goes large.
Blizzard Employee
Good question. Please let us know what modes this is in. Also, please provide your system specs :)

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the "Option" Key and choose "System Profiler/Information" from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
In response to how to get a screenshot in hearthstone, you should be abel to use cmd+shift+3 and it will take a screen capture much like print screen does for windows. It will save an image file to your desktop.
Thanks for the feedback guys!!

My mouse cursor is huge in both fullscreen and windowed mode, no difference in mouse size.

The system info is as following:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08
SMC Version (system): 2.1f170
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics:
Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 1.9.23

And
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3682
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.5 (12F33)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.5.0
Boot Volume: System
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 5:13
Also I have tried to take a screenshot to show you the ingame mouse cursor, but the cmd - shift - 3 doesn't show the mouse cursor either :/ hehe not sure how to…
Is the cursor normal in full screen mode ?

I've noticed mine seems fine in Full Screen mode but when I turn it off it goes large.

This is the case for me. It's abnormally large in window mode, but full screen is fine.
MVP - Technical Support
SquidBean what make and model of mouse are you using ?

And do you have any mouse software installed to drive it ?
SquidBean what make and model of mouse are you using ?

And do you have any mouse software installed to drive it ?

The mouse model doesn't seem to matter, I have a razer deathadder and a steelseries Kana, but even if I unplug everything and just play with my trackpad.. cursor size never changes, changing from fullscreen to windowed the cursor stays the same. (no custom drivers installed)

Last night things went wrong for my OSX, so I ended up clearing my disk, everything was formatted clean and a fresh install of OSX 10.9 Developer Preview 6 has been installed. So everything old etc is now gone. Hearthstone seems to run perfectly fine, but the mouse is still BIG! : /

I am using "smoothmouse" to disable mouse accelleration on OSX... could it be? it shouldn't though right?

EDIT: Nothing changes if I disable smoothmouse or not when it comes to the cursor size, also its not affecting the trackpad per default anyway.

It's not the end of the world but it is a big distracting and annoying having a huge mickey mouse hand flying around.
Edited by SquidBean on 8/25/2013 1:33 AM PDT
I am sorry to bump this, but is there any news on this topic? is it something Blizzard is seeing from a lot of OSX users? Or do the majority of them just not realise that their cursor looks different?
I have a PC and a Macbook Pro (retina) and I confirm that the cursor is abnormally large.
08/27/2013 06:30 PMPosted by ImageOmega
I have a PC and a Macbook Pro (retina) and I confirm that the cursor is abnormally large.

if you too can follow the steps above and provide your macbook pro's technical details? That would be great for all of us I think, the more data the faster a fix will hopefully come. Because I'm getting a little tired of having my mouse cursor block out a third of my cards when mouse overing :P
So no one seems to be willing to supply more data on this issue :(

I really hope its possible for blizzard to just force the cursor to a certain size... because currently I feel like I am playing a game targeted at 5 year old's.
On a retina Macbook Pro the size of the cursor in some games is depends on the display resolution scaling. You cannot select a scaling regarding to the native 2880x1800 on a retina pro, but it is possible to adjust the relative size of the icons and every other graphical elements of the OS at Settings -> Display. Set "Scaled" and pick the "More space" option to minimize the cursor size. As far as I found it works that way in Blizzard games.
09/03/2013 05:12 AMPosted by ThrAwN
On a retina Macbook Pro the size of the cursor in some games is depends on the display resolution scaling. You cannot select a scaling regarding to the native 2880x1800 on a retina pro, but it is possible to adjust the relative size of the icons and every other graphical elements of the OS at Settings -> Display. Set "Scaled" and pick the "More space" option to minimize the cursor size. As far as I found it works that way in Blizzard games.

Interesting, how ever I am not on a Retina mbp, I am on the 2012 "classic" with a resolution of 1680x1050, and I do not have the option to pick "more space" when I look under display. All I can do is change my resolution but that doesn't change anything in Hearthstone (as it shouldn't).

But I guess it makes sense if the Blizzard cursor follows the OS overall resolution... your more space is just native res, which gives you a ton more pixels making the cursor smaller in the overall space, as the cursors pixel size probably stays the same.

anyway.. interesting.
For what it's worth I have the same problem. It's comically large. Luckily the buttons aren't close enough to get lost under the hand - you get used to it after a while.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f1
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Main Display: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G56)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 24 days 17:21

The mouse I use makes no difference - I can use the trackpad or my Logitech MX Revolution. Both still have the hilarious foam finger cursor. My Universal Access is on Normal. It happens in windowed or full screen.
Edited by Milleren on 9/12/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Here's the cursor on my MacBook Pro.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1364/tiug.jpg

maybe i need to find a better picture...
I'm having a problem with the curso size as well. It's large in both fullscreen and window at an resolution set in the game options

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MM31.0081.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.35f0
Hardware UUID: FDAC7505-D247-5623-AFC6-A221704D71EF

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0861
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3362
Displays:

27EA63 (LG 27" Class IPS LED):

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: 301NDEZ3S364
Main Display: Yes
Rotation: Supported

System Version: OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.4.0
Boot Volume: Phylactory
Time since boot: 2 days 9 minutes

I use a Logitech M510 mouse, but I also noticed this problem with an Apple wired Mighty Mouse.

A shot of the size of the cursor is here: http://i.imgur.com/pBZsn1t.jpg
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]