Warlock Control - Solid Deck

Hey locks,

EDIT: 10/20/13

Decided to update this whole post since it's been a while.

This is the current decklist I have been using, unchanged for a while now. Since the wipe, I took this straight to Masters 3 with 2 or 3 losses.

Solid deck for anyone who likes this play-style. Easily controls the board, and drops bombs when the opponent runs out of steam. Twisting nether is crucial for when your siphon souls are used up but your opponent still has threats.

I never feel like I run out of answers for things... there's always a way to win with this deck save for a really bad draw (which doesn't happen often since you can pull so many cards with your power).

----Warlock Control----

2 Voidwalker
2 Voodoo Doctor
1 Acidic Swamp Ooze
1 Wild Pyromancer
2 Earthen Ring Farseer
1 Defender of Argus
2 Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2 Spellbreaker
1 Abomination
1 Ragnaros
1 Jaraxxus
2 Molten Giant

2 Demonfire
1 Drain Life
2 Shadow Bolt
2 Hellfire
1 Shadowflame
2 Siphon Soul
2 Twisting Nether
Edited by Snakebasket on 10/20/2013 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I really like your deck. Warlock control really does seam very strong. I got lucky and got a Lord Draxxes in one of my packs so I started playing that deck a ton. I have a very different deck then yours but use it in close to the same way. The only thing I run into that counters warlock control is actually basic Rogue decks. If I get a good draw, and go second, I can pretty much win 90 percent of my games right now.
Reply Quote
I'm glad you're enjoying a similar deck type. Warlock Control is really strong right now if played right. There are always decisions to make and things to consider in each game. All of my games seem to be pretty close but I continue coming out on top with this deck and gaining control of the game.

By turn 7, 8, 9 if I'm not really low on health, it is VERY hard to keep any pressure on me, and all the creatures hav distinct purposes. It is so fun to then just exPLODE with power overwhelmings and hellfires. Sylvanas adds a LOT to the deck because you can trigger her deathrattle on command with void terror, shadowflame, and power overwhelming - she synergizes extremely well.

Jaraxxus is also a very good late game tool, considering how low on health I usually am by the late game, he brings a certain stability and rounds out the decks synergy with all the life tapping down.

I am considering adding a single soulfire to the deck. Any thoughts on this? Soulfire has a lot of uses but I'm just not sure if the discarded card breaks the spell.

What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
I've often though about adding a soulfire to my deck, but ultimately decided against it. All of my cards have great synergy together, and the idea of losing one does not appeal to me, or offset the 4 damage I would be able to cause. Perhaps if I could chose the discard instead of RNG, then I would throw it in instead of my shadow bolts.

Oh, and here's my deck for reference:

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#zsMkG8MkW8MwN8MuM8Mfu8MoB8MfT8Mi18Ma68Mro8MrG8Mfr8MhG8MGI8MU
Reply Quote
True, but shadow bolt cant finish the game. I think you're right about deciding which card to discard though. That might make the difference.
Reply Quote
Love your deck. I suck at building deck and i was looking for a good one. I think I found one, you made my day mate! :D

Cheers
Reply Quote
I've been refining my own take on Warlock Control. I think it's incredibly strong. This is how my deck looks:

2x Corruption -ezpz cheap removal
2x Void Walker - Cheap early game stability
2x Shield Bearer - Same as above

2x Demonfire - Cheap, dual purpose removal / pump

2x Sense Demon - Deck thinning, always nabs Jaraxxus or Void Walker. Great synergy with Questing Adventurer
2x Shadow Bolt - Spot removal
2x Emperor Cobra - Not sure about this one. For now smooths out my curve and gives removal and beats
2x Questing Adventurer - Low cost beats that can snowball and win games alone. Synergy with Sense Demons is incredible. Either you grab a voidwalker and cast that, getting +2/+2 or you have no demons left, and get a couple free imps, also charging your stacks.

2x Hellfire - mid-game board clear

2x Abomination - mid game board control
2x Gadgetztan Auctioneer - Card draw

2x Siphon Soul - Late game removal
2x Twisting Nether - Reset button

1x Alexstraza - Healing, end game stability, win-condition beats
1x Jaraxxus - same as above

2x Molten Giant - Big beats that come out free late game

My deck functions like so:

Spend health aggressively to draw cards. When you're at 10 HP molten giants are free. Your mid-game cards can sometimes snowball into wins, but your real game enders are Jaraxxus and Alexstraza.

Remember, we're burning through health like its our job. Don't cast Jaraxxus or Alexstraza when you're above 15 HP. They're your safety cards that will keep you alive when you're bleeding out.

Sense demons, life tap, and your auctioneers give you all the card draw you'll ever need.

Use your removal aggressively. Take out big threats with your spot removal, and burn your hellfires and twisting nether's when your opponent takes too much tempo control.

On the whole, I think Warlock control is incredibly strong. Definitely the winningest deck I've managed to put together so far.
Edited by MrBitter on 8/25/2013 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Emperor Cobra is amazing for its cost imo. Either forces your opponent to waste cards on it, or you get to attack freely his high costing creatures or immediately clear out taunt creatures.
Reply Quote
That's also my thinking. I can't think of anything better to run there, and the cobra is never cost ineffective.
Reply Quote
MrBitter: Have you played with the deck you posted at all?

I dont want to descredit anything you said or posted, but on paper, it looks like it would be really clunky.

The gadgeztans seem really out of place, and sense demon seems like a hell of bad card to run JUST to grab jaraxxus. If you want to pump questing, just run mortal coil, or anything else really.

By the time I am ready to cast Jaraxxus he's usually in my hand. Also, you have no silence.

Ever since hitting 3 star master, my win rate with this deck has dropped to about 50%. Ironbeak owls are required for twilight drakes and other problematic minions like Savannah's and Tirions etc.

2 Twisting nether is also questionable, I might do 1, but 2 seems like asking to have a dead card in hand until turn 8.

Let me know, bud!
Reply Quote
I have been playing around with MrBitter's decklist and having a good 85%-90% winrate with it. That said, while my early and mid game is stable due to the heavy removal available in the deck, I can never find a good opportunity to get questing adventurer into play meaningfully. Thus, all QA is really good for atm is a removal dump due to his threat level.

08/28/2013 09:13 AMPosted by Snakebasket
Ironbeak owls are required for twilight drakes and other problematic minions like Savannah's and Tirions etc.

I actually think this is not the correct silence minion to use. Due to its 1hp it is easily removed, and the 2 damage it gives does not really bring anything to the table. If you are going to run silence, I'd recommend using Spellbreaker as its a 4/3 for 4 + silence. There is also the added bonus of him coming out the turn after Twilight gets played, not only negating the threat of Twilight but also giving you one of your own.

The gadgetzans seem really out of place

I don't believe so. a 4/4 for 5 that gives drawing power is a really strong play in any deck. I actually prefer the combo of this + sense demons more then QA, as you are getting 3 cards, 2 of which are low cost and can be played same turn.

Overall the deck is solid, though I think MrBitter's attempt at a possible midgame snowball is offbase. Stick to the root of the deck and build for an easy transition into lategame. This is the decklist I run after the modifications:

2x Corruption
2x Void Walker
2x Shield Bearer

1x Acidic Slime
2x Demonfire

2x Sense Demon
2x Shadow Bolt
1x Emperor Cobra

2x Spellbreaker
2x Hellfire

2x Abomination
2x Gadgetztan Auctioneer

2x Siphon Soul
2x Twisting Nether

1x Alexstraza
1x Jaraxxus

2x Molten Giant

Credit goes to MrBitter for the original decklist.
Reply Quote
MrBitter: Have you played with the deck you posted at all?

Yes! Very, very much!

The card draw is important as a very basic card game mechanic called deck thinning. Jaraxxus is one of your most important win conditions. You absolutely MUST be able to reliable cast him by turn 10, otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

This is why Sense Demons is so invaluable. Also, Voidwalkers are almost never bad. They always serve some great purpose, even if its just buying you one more turn to stick around.

It's also why the card draw from Auctioneers is so important. Most of what you're casting between turn 5 and turn 10 will be removal spells, and if an auctioneer gives you an extra card along with your removal spell, it's creating card advantage for you. You're trading 1 of your cards to eliminate 1 of your opponents cards, and you're also drawing off of your auctioneer. It's 2 for 1 card advantage.

And here's why I think the questing adventurers are important:

They are not your win condition. They CAN snowball and end games. But that's not why they're in the deck. They server multiple purposes:

By virtue of the cards strength, it's almost always going to trade efficiently. IE: You'll never lose it for free. It will always at LEAST trade evenly. (1 for 1)

It FORCES your opponent to react to it. Decks that don't run much removal will have to burn a spell on it. Decks that don't have great creatures to fight with will have to trade with it. It takes away from your opponents ability to deal with your other threats... Namely the Molten Giants.

In other words, if I can force that pesky rogue to burn assassinate on my adventurers, I don't have to worry about it being used on my giants.

Re: Dead cards with high costs -

Don't worry about this. Your summoner spell lets you trade life for card draw. All you have to do is weather storms and survive until late game. Also, because of our magma giants, we don't care about taking damage. We want to hover around 10 HP because it lets us drop 2 giants in 1 turn, and then alexstraza and win in the next. (Unless we're vs. mages)

Additionally, that extra twisting nether is sooo important for those late game situations where the board often spirals out of control in your opponents favor. If you only have a single Twisting Nether, how do you ever justify using it to kill a single dangerous creature?

If you have two, then that's a sacrifice that might make a lot of sense.

Just some more of my feedback on why I use the cards I use. <3
Reply Quote
Are you really MrBitter?

The mana curve on your deck seems wayyyyyyyyyy too high imo. You really need low mana cards for life tap to work well. I guess you rely heavily on the voidwalkers and shieldbearers, but even still. And 2x twisting nether is overboard I think. Even one is debatable. It costs too much, and they're always a turn ahead of you after it unless they've emptied their hand, which smart players will try to avoid playing into.

edit: I played warlock control to 3 star diamond before changing decks. Warlock cards feel weak to me. I was playing with a lot of spellpower minions though, and I'm thinking of trying it again without them, since warlock spells scale horribly with spellpower. Mage and shaman are just feeling so much better for me right now though.
Edited by Beakyboo on 8/31/2013 12:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Are you really MrBitter?

The mana curve on your deck seems wayyyyyyyyyy too high imo. You really need low mana cards for life tap to work well. I guess you rely heavily on the voidwalkers and shieldbearers, but even still. And 2x twisting nether is overboard I think. Even one is debatable. It costs too much, and they're always a turn ahead of you after it unless they've emptied their hand, which smart players will try to avoid playing into.

edit: I played warlock control to 3 star diamond before changing decks. Warlock cards feel weak to me. I was playing with a lot of spellpower minions though, and I'm thinking of trying it again without them, since warlock spells scale horribly with spellpower. Mage and shaman are just feeling so much better for me right now though.

1.) Yes, really Mr. Bitter

2.) Mana Curve
- The deck curves up pretty nicely. 18/30 cards are 3 drop or lower. You have 6x removal spells playable by turn 3. 12/30 total removal cards, 4 of which will (mostly) empty the board. You have strong, playable resets in turn 4 and turn 5 with Hellfires and Abominations. The idea behind the deck is not constant aggro pressure. It's control.

3.) 2x Twisting Nether
- Absolutely 100% necessary. You need to be able to cast Twisting Nether by turn 8. You won't necessarily be forced to do so every game you play, but it needs to be an option. Running 1 is just asking for trouble, as, on average, you will only be about 13 cards deep (less than half way through your deck) by turn 8.

4.) To be completely clear, the purpose here is to control the board with extreme bias, and then drop unanswerable beats between turns 8 and 10. Jaraxxus and Alexstraza are in the deck to buy you time. Magma Giants are your strongest win condition.
Reply Quote
Your deck is awesome man. I don't have Jaraxxus (yet), but I got Deathwing so I'm sporting him as a last resort card.
Reply Quote
I have solved it!

-2 emperor cobra's
+2 Defender of Argus
Reply Quote
I may have just played you. Or someone else is running 2x molten giants, jaraxxus and defender of argus.
Reply Quote
09/01/2013 12:11 AMPosted by Beakyboo
I may have just played you. Or someone else is running 2x molten giants, jaraxxus and defender of argus.

That's not really an all that fancy combination to have in a warlock deck. Pretty common.
Reply Quote
09/01/2013 12:22 AMPosted by zUkUu

That's not really an all that fancy combination to have in a warlock deck. Pretty common.

It's not fancy, but it involves two copies of one epic. It can't be all that common. Barely anyone would get these cards, and I doubt many are crafting for this combo specifically.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]