Struggling as a warrior

Hi folks,

I'm loving the direct play style of the warrior class right now, but I'm finding myself unable to sustain in battles if I don't win early. Basically I tend to hold my own in the early rounds, either by forming a strong early defense or with some early strong attacks due to battle cries and taunts. But after about 10 rounds, I always end up with an empty hand against an opponent who often has a hand full of cards. Then it's a matter of being overwhelmed by numbers.

Perhaps this is just due to the overwhelming numbers of mages at this point, but once I get in that situation, it's game over. Are warriors just weak against mages right now or am I doing something wrong?

-HnR
Edited by HITnRUN on 8/17/2013 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You need to find out what the warrior tactic is, and built a deck around that
Reply Quote
08/17/2013 12:03 PMPosted by HITnRUN
But after about 10 rounds, I always end up with an empty hand against an opponent who often has a hand full of cards. Then it's a matter of being overwhelmed by numbers.

I was struggling with this after I built an aggro style deck. It doesn't work the same as in MtG.

Go back in and use the deck building tool, it will help with your mana curve. Also, make sure you have all the basic cards. Look for minion cards that have effects rather than effect type cards.

Have fun! Lok'tar Ogar!
Reply Quote
Try removing more 0-3 mana cards and add more 4-8 mana, thats what I did and it work much better. However im very sure mages are op against warriors, dat flamestrike
Reply Quote
Just lost against a hunter at the fifth round, he had 6 minions at the third round, wtf lol
Reply Quote
Well some losses that way are unavoidable from time to time. ^^

The key to warrior is to use your damage abilities to trigger your minions enrage powers. Make sure to include all the 4 cost warrior minions, they are all awesome, add the neutral enrage guys (gurubashi berserker, etc) and you have a solid deck.
Reply Quote
If you're going the cheap ally route you may want to just go all in. If you know these mtg terms, warrior aggressive decks work best as midrange simply due to the requirements of inner rage and rampage either dealing dmg or requiring a minion to be damaged. 3-6 cost minions will have more health to easily satisfy this condition. Have heroic strike and mortal strikes are finishers and don't disregard your cheap removal like cleave and slam.

The other way you can go is control and just stack up on armor, removal, 2 for 1 minions and lots of big minions to finish the game with once your opponent runs out of steam. For this style of deck you want to have lots of card reliable card draw. Slam is a good one as is shield block. Would not recommend battle rage for this strategy.
Reply Quote
If you want specific deck lists just ask, ill be more than happy to send you a decklist that has no legendaries/epics.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I hit lvl 10 over the weekend so I unlocked all basic cards for the class. I'll try to stack more high-cost cards and see if that helps my sustain.
Reply Quote
From what i have found, Warriors can not trade cards with other classes. They need to manage the board and burst the Other hero when you can.
Reply Quote
I have had some success with cards that summon, cards that charge, and minions with windfury. I struggled early as well because I had too many 2-3 mana cards, I switched many of those to 4-5 and have done much better. Windfury minion cards are EXTREMELY helpful for warriors because you can give that minion "Charge" for 0 mana. That minion can attack twice on one turn! I do this combo with several of the 1-3 mana windfury minions.
Reply Quote
08/18/2013 05:11 PMPosted by Ilifalre
If you want specific deck lists just ask, ill be more than happy to send you a decklist that has no legendaries/epics.

I would love to see some decklists!
Reply Quote
Here's mine

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/warrior#1:2;47:2;81:2;130:2;182:1;193:2;227:2;310:1;326:2;345:1;357:2;366:1;414:2;500:1;504:2;624:1;632:2;664:2;

I made this off the top of my head so a card or 2 might be off
Reply Quote
Tomplus, whats the focus of your deck? Like i run an enrage/charge deck atm
Reply Quote
I try to use my hero to take out most minions with weaps + hero power to get a card advantage and keep the field pretty clear. Draw power right now is really low for the first few turns, but I might change that. Right now it hasn't been too big of a problem.

Getting out Warsong Commander is what usually wins the game for me because of the minions that summon another one. You can do this on the same turn as well after turn 6. If the commander isn't dealt with immediately it can do some pretty insane burst.
Reply Quote
I was having a ton of trouble playing Warrior but I buckled down last night and built and rebuilt my Warrior deck several times until I found something that worked.

I ditched basically all of my 1 or 2 mana weenies. My smallest creature is the 1/2 engineer for the card draw. Everything else is 3, 4 mana or greater.

I took most of the core Warrior spells and creatures, but left out all the weapons, and heroic strike. I just couldn't get them to work efficiently enough for me to justify the card space.

The basic idea is that you are getting out a lot of 4 or 5 cost creatures, many with charge or enrage, Gurubashi Berserkers are great too. Honestly, the ideal condition for me to whirlwind is when i have a couple enrage creatures out. If I can follow it up by playing one of those naga healers, that's crazy good.

I went 5-0 with this deck last night, two star platinum, and finally lost my sixth game. Sorry I don't have a card list, but I can try to get one posted after this weekend if anyone is interested in taking a deeper look.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 06:14 AMPosted by CapnSqually
I went 5-0 with this deck last night, two star platinum, and finally lost my sixth game. Sorry I don't have a card list, but I can try to get one posted after this weekend if anyone is interested in taking a deeper look.

I've been able to win consistently with 3 other deck types while leveling them to lv 10 but i'm constantly losing with warrior for no good legitimate reason. I just never get the cards I need at the right time (ex. needing slam to hit 3+ health minions to draw cards or not getting gorehowl because its literally the 30th card or waiting too long to use upgrade.) So far warrior easily seems like the weakest desk type to me, especially pre level 10, even moreso than mage pre-flamestrike.

Even when i completely outplay my opponent they will just counter any strategy I can dish out with warrior with ease (mages seem to counter warriors but most of the warrior strats seem way way too situational.) The only time I can convincingly win is when I did what you were talking about by getting lucky where you can use whirlwind on several minions including 2 or more enrage creatures.

I'm going to try cutting out the weak creatures because it worked for you and it seemed like a legit strat in my head before. What do you think about Gorehowl though? Not worth it? Skip upgrade as well?
Edited by asfastasican on 8/22/2013 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And i do switch some cards in and out each game depending how i feel, still not sure about a way to use card draw, but cult master works sometimes, sometimes it doesnt, brawl is too good to have none, but if i run 2 it seems to fail me, also charge seems more reliable than rampage dont have time to say more, but only got to diamond 3 star with this so far in a few hours of playing it.

Only played for a few hours and def changing a card or 2 every game or so, but did go on a 19-4 evening with this deck here.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/warrior#73:1;95:2;130:2;140:2;166:2;179:1;193:2;227:2;297:1;303:1;326:2;345:2;414:2;504:2;597:1;632:2;643:1;646:2;
Reply Quote
How do you guys suggest to build your warrior deck?
Reply Quote
For now I'm using this deck and I'm having a lot o success.

You just have to play the warrior like a warrior, keep the pressure on opponents hero
I usually win by turn 7 - 8

my deck is basically weapon and direct damage with taunt minions to prevent damage

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/warrior#1:1;27:2;81:2;123:1;130:2;174:1;182:2;184:2;193:2;215:1;227:1;325:2;326:1;428:1;454:1;519:1;560:2;584:1;632:1;638:1;644:1;663:1;

I started playing 3 days ago after work, there are a few better charge minions I could use but this deck is really good
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]