Execute Over Powered

It really sucks to see my legendary cards get 1 shot just because they only took one damage and still sitting over 10 health. In WoW, execute only works if they are below a certain amount of health; it should function the same way here.
Edited by GamerLCD on 8/21/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm curious why you feel execute would be op but any other single target spell/damage that completely neuters or kills a target is fine?
Reply Quote
08/21/2013 02:53 PMPosted by nobme
I'm curious why you feel execute would be op but any other single target spell/damage that completely neuters or kills a target is fine?

I'm going to lean towards his exposure being very limited so far.

OP I would take a look at other very similar mechanics, such as found in: Assassinate, Deadly Shot or Naturalize to name a few.
Reply Quote
Well it's not unusual to be have Oh ####! cards in CCGs. A large part of the game is having the right card for the situation. Ideally there shouldn't be a victory cigar card, Deathwing for example needs a counter. It's OP but it's not a card you chose to use lightly.
Reply Quote
Hex, sheep, corruption, deadly shot, assassinate to name others all destroy target instantly or have varying effects which translate into there mana cost being higher or lower, oddly enough the ONLY destroy target card that requires a prerequisite to kill is.... Execute. It's balanced I've lost games cause of not being able to use it and vice versa. I'd suggest a clearer head before calling anything op and think it over.
Reply Quote
Execute is actually pretty mediocre if you understand TCGs very well. First off execute is always a 2 for 1. What I mean is, often you are trading 2 of your cards to destroy one of theirs. First you need to use a card to deal a damage, then use execute to finish off the minion. Thats two of your cards for one of theirs which gives them an advantage.

Next you have the fact that execute is conditional. Minions with 1 total life can never be hit by execute making it a dead card against them. Next minions with divine shield are harder to make executable since you would need two instances of damage against them before you can use execute. Last execute requires that you be able to deal a damage for its condition. This is different from other conditional killers because it makes execute unusually risky to have. Drawing an execute after the board has been cleared and your hand is empty means that you effectively drew no cards since execute is rendered useless. Something like polymorph and many other conditional kill spells can accomplish something on their own based on your opponents actions. Execute relies solely on your actions.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Ilifalre
First off execute is always a 2 for 1.

Just to nitpick, no.
a)
Say you use whirlwind, which does 1 dmg to every minion.
Then you execute one of the opponents minions.
That's a 1-1 trade, and usually you execute something costing more than 1 so you are the winner. (And you likely buffed half your minions while you're at it)

b) You can attack that annoying Gurubashi berserker with a 1/>2, you don't lose your minion and can execute the troll.
Edited by Andromalius on 8/24/2013 4:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/24/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Andromalius
First off execute is always a 2 for 1.

Just to nitpick, no.
a)
That's a 1-1 trade, and usually you execute something costing more than 1 so you are the winner. (And you likely buffed half your minions while you're at it)

b) You can attack that annoying Gurubashi berserker with a 1/>2, you don't lose your minion and can execute the troll.

Whirlwind + Execute = 2 cards = 2 for 1. That is what he means by it is always a two for one.
Reply Quote
Exactly what the person above me said. Execute, will always require the use of two cards. Card A needs to deal a damage in some way. Card B is execute. 2 cards were used for the removal of one minion.

If you mean that whirlwind can kill a minion and allow execute to kill another one, then yes 2 for 2 = 1 for 1. But this happens as a property of whirlwind being able to get card advantage. Execute still remains a 2 for 1.

If you really really wanna nitpick, there is exactly one real exception and that would be injured blademaster.
Reply Quote
Sadly execute is one of the weakest pure removal cards in the game at the moment. The only other being sheep, which still leaves at least some sort of useable minion behind.

I've come to notice warrior cards tend to follow that same theme of being just shy of efficient in about everything they do. I "assume" your suppose to make up for it with a stronger hero role from all those weapons which would make the lack luster hero power make a bit more sense.
Reply Quote
08/25/2013 01:05 AMPosted by Beard

Just to nitpick, no.
a)

Whirlwind + Execute = 2 cards = 2 for 1. That is what he means by it is always a two for one.

Still not 100% true. Take for example that minion that does "1 damage and +2 attack on a minion" Use him to ping a big minion, then execute. You didn't lose the initial minion so it's a 1 for 1 trade.
Reply Quote
Still not 100% true. Take for example that minion that does "1 damage and +2 attack on a minion" Use him to ping a big minion, then execute. You didn't lose the initial minion so it's a 1 for 1 trade.

That is still using 2 cards for one. Compared to deadly shot which is always a 1 for 1 unless divine shield prevents it. Pinging a minion for 1 damage then executing them uses 2 cards to kill one even if you get to keep the minion.
Reply Quote
09/01/2013 06:54 PMPosted by Maanee

That is still using 2 cards for one. Compared to deadly shot which is always a 1 for 1 unless divine shield prevents it. Pinging a minion for 1 damage then executing them uses 2 cards to kill one even if you get to keep the minion.

deadly shot would kill a minion even though it has a divine shield on it. just so you know=)

Since were already on this topic of divine shields, and of using a minion with a battle cry effect of dealing damage; if a warrior uses lets say elven archer to ping a minion with divine shield such as a sunwalker then i dont think execute can be used on it. Just proving that execute is not OP but rather the weakest form of removal. Upon hundreds of games in beta hex, poly, assassinate are the solid removals, these removals disregard divine shield and does not have any requirement to use. Furthermore, poly is still strong since you can ping it with just your hero power. Deadly shot on the other hand is also solid but not as much as the 3 earlier mentioned since there is the factor of randomness. although in scenarios like there is only 1 sunwalker on the enemy board then pretty much still above execute. im not crying out for a buff i just think that every ability is unique and it is a nice well thought of mechanic.
Edited by Azz on 9/2/2013 12:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Execute is a terrible terrible card in a vacuum but once we look at a warriors kit of cards and how they synergize with it, execute becomes pretty good. The taskmasters, cleave, whirlwind, slam all synergize very well with it making it less of a complete 2 for 1.

Taskmaster makes a 1.5 for 1 cause u keep task master

Cleave by virtue of it being a 2 for 1 card initially can make it a 2 for 2 if the other half of cleave kills something

Lets face it, Whirlwind is too versatile not to have once you have a few of the better warrior rares and execute becomes a 1 for 1 if you use whirlwind first as you are probably getting a lot of value of whirlwind.

Slam is the best out of these. If slam doesn't kill what you want it to, it draws you a card thereby refunding itself making execute its favorite buddy since execute always is a 1 for 1 trade with slam.

That being said, as a card execute is still a 2 for 1 unless comboed with a good card that would just about make any other card a 1 for 1
Reply Quote
Just wait till the OP sees Naturalize. Now that is true removal. =D
Reply Quote
Yes, single-target removal is so good it's almost a necessity in every deck. But, you called Execute overpowered. Imagine other cards where you don't even have to damage them first! (Assassinate, Siphon Soul, Polymorph).
Reply Quote
Yes, execute is a 2-for-1 trade, but you also have to think of total mana cost as well, for example, cruel taskmaster+execute costs only 3 mana. Whirlwind+execute 2 mana. Good trades are defined by mana and total cards used, no?
Reply Quote
Execute can be a dead card in your hand if you can't also damage the minion (usually losing one of your own minions in the process). I think you just haven't played enough, as there is much better removal out there in this game. Execute is the only true removal that a warrior has, and it's a rather sub-par one.
Reply Quote
Dear OP, just so you realize , Execute is a 2-action removal. meaning 2 things HAVE to happen in order to remove your minion..

1. Sacrificed minion hp (or minion completely) to damage your unit -OR- used a card to damage your minion

2. Use Execute card

all other removal conditons spells....

1. NONE REQUIRED... Use Sheep/Hex/Assassinate/Naturalize

CLASS DISMISSED
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]