Does this seem a bit overpowered?

Well I just lost to a guy playing a Priest, and I thought for sure I'd win.. after a long losing streak.
He had a turtle up, and suddenly used a couple Divine Spirit cards to boost the turtle's health to 21, then playing some card, can't remember the name, and gave that minion damage equal to its health.

I'm not at all complaining, but, that much damage from one attack?
Reply Quote
The card that made his health equal his attack isn't Op, but there is a card that doubles someone's hp. The card is called Divine Spirit, which I think is OP. Maybe it should only increase his health by half of his current health to balance it? Idk, but double health is pretty Op, especially with the 2 mana cost.
Reply Quote
Yeah, playing against a Priest, you pretty much have to clear their board every turn. And that's without using Assassinate/Polymorph/Silence/etc, because you'll need that card for when they eventually combo up a 28/28 or whatever.
Reply Quote
Hi!

The thing is, these things are so rare that they shouldn't be nerfed. If you start nerfing cards because a 4-5 card combo can do something amazing you end up with bunch of useless cards in general. There are many ways to do this kind of damage and still the 21/21 can't get past 1/1 taunt minion. Next turn remove/silence the 21/21 and the enemy is way behind as they used so many cards and didn't get enough out of the deal.

Might seem like something that needs nerfing, but there are just so many better ways to do this kind of thing that this is far away from being the most imbalanced thing.
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 08:34 AMPosted by Typoko
Next turn remove/silence the 21/21 and the enemy is way behind as they used so many cards and didn't get enough out of the deal.

I can't tell you the number of times I dropped my buffs on a creature only to get it sheeped/hexed/executed/assassinated/frozen.. And end up losing the match
Reply Quote
08/22/2013 07:29 AMPosted by Twiglaser
The card that made his health equal his attack isn't Op, but there is a card that doubles someone's hp.

I don't mind that, but when its coupled with a double divine spirit.. it.. seems really over powered, just for a minion to be doing more than half of your health
I dunno
Maybe I just suhk :L
Edited by monissa on 8/28/2013 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think it is more the lightspawn minion that is a bit OP. Lightspawn makes his attack the same as his health which is where you get the 28/28 minion. I won with this combo a few games back. In prefect conditions you can get lightspawn(4/4) for 4 mana, 2 power word : sheild(1 mana each) for 6 hp (lightspawn in a 10/10 now) then 2 divine spirits(2 mana each) and that brings the lightspawn to a 40/40 and their is few ways to stop him.
Reply Quote
Silence effects will also remove all the benefits of either lightspawn or just the PW:S+DS+IF combos as well.
Reply Quote
Remember that you can easily counter this, Just hold on to a card that instantly kills said monster or sheep, hex, return to hand it.
Reply Quote
08/24/2013 07:07 PMPosted by Kanada
Remember that you can easily counter this, Just hold on to a card that instantly kills said monster or sheep, hex, return to hand it.

Yes.

And what happens if the minion can attack the same turn it was buffed?

Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect everyone facing a Priest to make sure they never, ever, ever, ever have a minion on the field for more than one turn?

... And if it IS possible for most people to keep Priests from ever, ever having a minion set and ready to attack, doesn't that mean priests rely way too much on a "Do or Die" mechanic? The average Hearthstone match is supposed to be a back-and-forth between both players deploying minions, attacking, defending, etc. It's not supposed to be a game of "Stunlock the priest - OR YOU LOSE!"

Not to mention that you can use Power Word: Shield, 2xDivine Spirit, and Inner Fire on a minion with Charge. If your opponent does not have a Taunt card in the field, that's an instant win, pulled right out of a hat.

It's not the only Massive Nuke Out Of Nowhere priests have, either. You ALSO have to make sure you don't have too many cards in your hand. Otherwise, a Priest only needs six mana (Auchenai Soul Priest - Greater Heal) to go upside your head.
Edited by Frost on 8/25/2013 6:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"Stunlock the priest - OR YOU LOSE!"

I dunno man, that sounds exactly like Warcraft to me.
Edited by Adeany on 8/26/2013 7:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/25/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Frost
The average Hearthstone match is supposed to be a back-and-forth between both players deploying minions, attacking, defending, etc.

I don't think the average Hearthstone match is supposed to be anything. The variety in decks is what makes the game so interesting.
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Adeany
"Stunlock the priest - OR YOU LOSE!"

I dunno man, that sounds exactly like Warcraft to me.

QFT
Reply Quote
08/25/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Frost

Yes.

And what happens if the minion can attack the same turn it was buffed?

Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect everyone facing a Priest to make sure they never, ever, ever, ever have a minion on the field for more than one turn?

... And if it IS possible for most people to keep Priests from ever, ever having a minion set and ready to attack, doesn't that mean priests rely way too much on a "Do or Die" mechanic? The average Hearthstone match is supposed to be a back-and-forth between both players deploying minions, attacking, defending, etc. It's not supposed to be a game of "Stunlock the priest - OR YOU LOSE!"

Not to mention that you can use Power Word: Shield, 2xDivine Spirit, and Inner Fire on a minion with Charge. If your opponent does not have a Taunt card in the field, that's an instant win, pulled right out of a hat.

It's not the only Massive Nuke Out Of Nowhere priests have, either. You ALSO have to make sure you don't have too many cards in your hand. Otherwise, a Priest only needs six mana (Auchenai Soul Priest - Greater Heal) to go upside your head.

totally agree with this... everyone is saying "just kill it with a spell, theres options" its not options when it attacks for 28 dmg.....and believe me this combo happens A LOT, because sadly the class tends ramp up cards to begin with.
Reply Quote
A 28/28 can still be blocked by a 1/1 taunter, silenced, sheeped, etc. Best way to beat a priest is to have a deck full of medium creatures, so that he can't kill them with a single AE, that mindcontrolling one doesn't result in a loss, etc.
Playing a weenie deck or 15 dragons is a sure way to lose against priest.
Inner Fire is a very strong card, but you know the priest is gonna play it, and you must account for it in your deck building, whether including silences or straight removal.
Reply Quote
While the combo was solid, I don't think it was OP. The cards are easily counterable with things like silence. Bad luck for the most part but I agree with most of the statements in this thread on it not being OP
Reply Quote
As a OTK (one turn kill) combo-Priest player: Getting all the stars aligned for the OTK is not exactly easy. It is arguably less easy than the combo requirements for the "Infinite combo chain" Rogue.

For a consistent OTK you need a minion with at least 4-5hp (4hp -> 28 damage; 5 hp -> 32), plus 4 very specific cards: PW:S, DSx2, and IF. Drawing these cards is highly luck-based. If your deck was shuffled so that one of your two DS's landed on the bottom, you realistically will not be able to pull off a OTK that game.

The OTK is literally a one-shot all-in because any experienced player WILL keep a silence/polymorph/hex/execute/assassinate/etc in hand against a late game Priest. If your OTK fails, your 32/32 Megadude will be sheeped and killed next round. Chances are you've sacrificed a ton of board position prepping for the uber-combo, so once the combo is denied you eat a virtually guaranteed loss.

In order to prevent the OTK you can:
1) Kill the priest before he draws all 4 of the necessary cards. This is not that hard for a hyper-aggro BM or Shamans, and most of my losses have come against BM/Shamy. A Priest who is saving all his DS, PWS and IFs for a combo isn't playing optimally in the early-to-mid game - not by a long shot.

2) Keep the board clear of Priest minions. This is not that hard for a spellpower Warrior, Mage or Druid. The combo takes a minimum of 4 creature hp and 7 mana to pull off, so prior to 9 mana crystals you don't even need to *kill* everything, just reduce it to 3 hp or below. At 9+ mana you need to reduce to 1hp or dead, but the Priest might even die before then.

3) Keep enough taunters around, so that the 32/32 minion can't hit you. Paladins are exceptionally good at this because they have numerous ways to give their guys Taunt. Bonus points for Taunt + Divine Shield. Next round they cast Humility or Silence and laugh.
Reply Quote
I'll have to agree with Frost's post:

"Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect everyone facing a Priest to make sure they never, ever, ever, ever have a minion on the field for more than one turn?

I've lost a majority of my games to priests when they use some crazy come from behind cheap tactic.

The hearthstone doubling mechanic needs to be tweaked to stop outrageous numbers.
Reply Quote
Silences completely counter these tricks.

Draft your Owls and Spellbreakers, folks. And play them in constructed.

If you're at the point where he has a guy with 4-5 health on the board, you don't clear it on your turn, and he's sitting on 3-4 cards in hand (the perfect ones) to buff his man up, and you don't have a taunt, and he kills you in one turn:

You lost this game turns ago.
Edited by Guinsoo on 9/3/2013 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]