Does this seem a bit overpowered?

buffing isn't the issue... and yes, all can do "similar" things...

as I've said before, the issue is the one class that create a game ending stroke that easily whilre screwing off the entire rest of their game.

And if all you think is possible is 20/20 or 27/27, you aren't trying hard enough. just throw down a turtle and buff it up. Or better yet, a stormwind knight. now you get charge.

THe only class that can create a game ending minion in one round is what I'm talking about.

An 18/18 minion is formidable, but not game ending. And it is still more tricky for a pala to create it. The priest can jack off all match, spam out deck peeling cards until his hand is stuffed and its nearly impossible for them to NOT have the cards they need.

You get the idea?

Again, if it remains as is, not the end of the world. Just annoying that I've rarely seen this done in a game where the priest even seemed to TRY. They just screwed around, "Oops'd" every round until they hit their jackpot. Even seeing it coming one time didn't work. I got the minions I attempted to set out to block mind controlled, lol (that one was my miscalculation.. and at least a decent set up by the priest for once, hehe)

Its just an annoying thing both to face, and because it has become damn near the MUST have ONLY combo mid game priests are after... no variation in any priest you play, period. In GM and Masters you see a lot more variation at least. But recently trying to get some of my lower/mid range classes or helping my wife through some priest battles seeing the same thing every priest match gets annoying.
Reply Quote
This worries me... I made a quick Priest deck a couple of days ago and don't think I've lost yet. :(

Conversely, I almost never beat a Priest deck even when I play them with my highly successful Wizard deck.

This is the first bit of unfuness Ive found so far in Hearthstone.
Edited by tvance929 on 11/9/2013 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
Well I just lost to a guy playing a Priest, and I thought for sure I'd win.. after a long losing streak.
He had a turtle up, and suddenly used a couple Divine Spirit cards to boost the turtle's health to 21, then playing some card, can't remember the name, and gave that minion damage equal to its health.

I'm not at all complaining, but, that much damage from one attack?

Kill the turtle and they can't do this.

Even if you just damage it, it really messes it up, since it's now starting with a lower amount of health to double.

And once they do buff it up, you can always either use removal or silence on the card.

The combo is common, cheesy, and easily counterable. Mind, that doesn't mean it will NEVER beat you, since RNG of the draw is always a factor, but like the old Twilight Drake rushes, it's the type of thing you should beat more often than you lose to it if you have a well balanced deck.
Reply Quote
08/25/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Frost
Not to mention that you can use Power Word: Shield, 2xDivine Spirit, and Inner Fire on a minion with Charge. If your opponent does not have a Taunt card in the field, that's an instant win, pulled right out of a hat.

4mana charge got 2hp. with pw:s 2xds if, you get 16attack turn 10 play with leeroy, 5card combo
3mana 2xPW:S 2xDS IF, 20attack turn 10 wolfrider 6cards combo

every class can do that on turn 9-10 with 5perfect cards.
Reply Quote
Playing against a priest without Silence effects is like playing vs a warrior without disarm/taunt effects.
When playing vs a warrior without disarm or taunt effects, then you lose to their Charge / Enrage / attack buff combo's.

I also played against a shaman once where i had him to 10 health, and i had still 28 remaining.
Then he popped a windfury minion, buffed its attack with +3, played bloodlust which buffs all minions with +3 attack and killed me in 1 turn.

This all requires so much luck in the draw, and it can be countered easy with spells like hunters mark (get a minion to 1 health), silence, taunters, polymorph, hex, execute and probably much more.

A spell mage with a late game deck can also deal much dmg in 1 turn, with spells that cant even be taunted etc. (watch blizzcon reckful vs the other guy that played a priest, yes i know the priest won 3 times but thats because reckfull made a mistake with his mage, he actually had the right cards in hand to finish his opponent but he didnt see it)

I think any hero with 10 mana and the 5 perfect card combo in his hand can do a lot of damage.
And the thing is, you can't simply wait for 10 mana and those cards without doing anything good in the mean time because you will be defeated before you have those cards.

This late game playstyle makes the game fun in my opinion.
Edited by Ratrace on 11/21/2013 4:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
One silence totally negates 3 of his cards = card advantage.
Reply Quote
Inner Fire and Divine Spirit are a combo that's way out of control. It makes Unleash the Hounds seem sportsmanlike by comparison (which it isn't, either).

It is completely unreasonable to expect the opposing player to have a hand full of silences, taunts, secrets, and the like to have to deal with it; while also clearing up the board every turn.

Inner Fire + Divine Spirit makes a cheap minion lethal and a middle mana cost minion deadly. Some also throw in Power Word: Shield to make a cheap minion into a one turn killing machine.

It takes all the fun out of the game when someone is able to hit you for 60% or more of your base health in a single attack.

As it stands, if this combo isn't tackled it'll just become the Gold farmers Class and build of choice.
Reply Quote
umm... no, just because there are some SIMILAR combos all classes can do... with quite a bit more LUCK... due to the the frigging fact that priest decks are BUILT around mowing through a deck looking for the magic 4 cards...

yes, we all know all classes have some pretty powerful combos... No, none of them are quite the one round destruction that the priest has at its fingertips. Its not as if this only works with the turtle. Its just the example of one of the more extreme outcomes the priest can come up with for little or no effort or prep.

Really now... are you just not able to do a reasonable comparison of the factors that make the priest 28/28 combo quite OP?

Again, part of the problem also is the way a priest can basically just sit and jack off all match long until they get their card combo... usually happens around round 8 or 9... at which point the priest has gone through 70% of their deck. You really think getting the card combo they need at that point is THAT rare, lmao?
Edited by Terrappin on 12/3/2013 5:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
pretty much the reason I just haven't played for a month... Got sick and tired of sitting at 30 HP vs priest 2 HP around round 7 just to have them... after doing nothing but desperately mowing through their deck... finally land on the cards they need. Its much MORE rare to always have the cards needed to counter their horse!@#$ than it is for a priest to have the ability to chew through their deck until they have them, late game.
Reply Quote
I think this is a total hate on priests!

the way to kill a priest is to make them use their cards!

you have to put a lot on the field and force them to play these cards

every class have their combos that's insane

shaman, get 3 minions on the field and use wind fury, bloodlust = dead

hunter: use the "play a beast and draw a card" overload your side with beasts and give them charge and insane attack

and so fourth..

I like playing priest, but this tactic ain't really good, you'll have to wait for these 4 cards before doing anything, and most of the time kills you, there's so much other things to do than that!

and yes it's annoying when this tactic is taking place, but it's fare from every time
Reply Quote
bloodlust only lasts 1 round. a buffed priest minion lasts until its silenced. sorry... and NO, no one is saying that all classes don't have powerful combos... The consensus here is that PRIESTS' PW:S,DS,IF combo has traits about it that make it a bit above and beyond the others.

If it doesn't change, meh... not the end of the world. But throwing out the fact that all classes do have their strong combos isn't really addressing the issue. That a priest can play like !@#$ all match and still pull a win out of their %^-. Its just not quite that extreme with any other class atm.

There was a time when endless rogue combos were a bit out of whack. It was changed slightly, now you find that you don't lose to a rogue by round 5 every match. Step back a little and be reasonable and I think you'll find that there are some big issues with balance with the cost of the priest abilities and their outcome/effect. Unless ofc you're one of those skilless players who is just interested in farming easy wins with your OP priest deck you copied and pasted off someone's guide page.
Reply Quote
Its not that bad with other minions those double health cards cause then you still need the card that also makes atk same as def, so basicly just the lightspawn that needs a fix, easy to solve would be to make it like the fairy dragon. That it cant be targeted by spells, then you get a magic immune 5/5 for a cheap cost but that you cant make into a beast for just a few mana and then one shot your opponent.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Jimmy
Its not that bad with other minions those double health cards cause then you still need the card that also makes atk same as def, so basicly just the lightspawn that needs a fix, easy to solve would be to make it like the fairy dragon. That it cant be targeted by spells, then you get a magic immune 5/5 for a cheap cost but that you cant make into a beast for just a few mana and then one shot your opponent.

Its still a gimmicky trick. It requires 2-4 cards in your hand in order to do that.

And they would need to make all minions magic immune, that have high health. Since you can do this trick on a 1 cost Shield Bearer.

Overall the spells need to be reworked in some fashion, so people stop complaining about it. Along with some of the other cards.
Reply Quote
Not a hard trick at all to pull off cause all priests draw cards like madmen. ;)
And if it were so gimmicky as you say you would not see the combo in like every
priest deck out there lol
Reply Quote
But wont complain really cause the problem is not some cards are too powerful, its the amount of cards you put in your deck, 30 cards just make you draw most of your deck every match, should be 40-60 cards. That way we would not see "overpowered" combos as often and just had to rely on making a all round good deck instead.
Reply Quote
12/18/2013 11:02 AMPosted by Jimmy
But wont complain really cause the problem is not some cards are too powerful, its the amount of cards you put in your deck, 30 cards just make you draw most of your deck every match, should be 40-60 cards. That way we would not see "overpowered" combos as often and just had to rely on making a all round good deck instead.

12/18/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Jimmy
Not a hard trick at all to pull off cause all priests draw cards like madmen. ;)
And if it were so gimmicky as you say you would not see the combo in like every
priest deck out there lol

Having a large deck size would just make decks far more "Draw Engine" dependent. And would lengthen out matches.

Which is what I doubt blizz wants.

Priests at lower levels may run it a lot, the PW:S+DS+IF combo, but its rarely seen in higher tier play. I don't use it, as it is unreliable for a turn 6 win. Which is what most games come down to now. Warlocks can keep board presence high and deny you field control in order to whittle your HP down to nothing. Or you have Stall-mages making your super buffed dudes useless.

Also you fall behind in cards, and give your opponent the idea you are planning to super-buff a minion if your holding onto cards.

The only golden moment it works is: Drawing Stormwind Knight turn 10 (If the game even goes that long) then dumping all 5 cards into him and hoping he isn't a mage with Ice Block. :S

Don't know about you, but since reaching rank 8 now, Priest is non-existent. And I hit a huge wall of Mages and was sent back to 12 due to not figuring out the best way to combat them with my Shaman/Warrior decks yet.

Priest I gave up playing competitively, since it just is very hit or miss-until I have all the cards I need for my Spell Damage deck. Since I am lacking some key cards. >_>
Reply Quote
I just started to play this game a week ago.
Kinda enjoying it more then I thought I would untill I found out that the priest is just a laughing stock.
It's simply unbalanced and in the last week I have played and got up the ladder I found out the higher I get the more and more priests I find.

I must say its really anoying over and over and over again that double HP buff..
Yes you can win its not 100% bullet proof but common that together with the monsters that have the same Attack as HP.....

Like I said I enjoy the game I have cleared all classes to level 10 and my mage is 29 atm.
So i have done over 100 games and got that good gold from it aswell.
But what I am trying to say is.

People are comming to the forums to look for threads like this because its obvious Priests are closest to OP then any other class atm.
It really annoys me so I gues I will be the 100st person to go priest just as the rest will if this isnt changed.

Moto: if you can't beat them (or it gives you to much frustration) join them.
But serious please fix this and nerf it because its annoying as hell.
And not just to me, people are screaming about it everywhere.
Edited by Soulblazer on 12/27/2013 2:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
09/02/2013 05:41 PMPosted by Lightslayer
I'll have to agree with Frost's post:

"Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect everyone facing a Priest to make sure they never, ever, ever, ever have a minion on the field for more than one turn?

... And if it IS possible for most people to keep Priests from ever, ever having a minion set and ready to attack, doesn't that mean priests rely way too much on a "Do or Die" mechanic? The average Hearthstone match is supposed to be a back-and-forth between both players deploying minions, attacking, defending, etc. It's not supposed to be a game of "Stunlock the priest - OR YOU LOSE!"

I've lost a majority of my games to priests when they use some crazy come from behind cheap tactic.

The hearthstone doubling mechanic needs to be tweaked to stop outrageous numbers.

Wow! What do you do against Paladins? If you think Priest are bad about buffing minions have you looked at Paladins lately. Why do you think a paladin has a hero power to summon a 1/1? For that matter, we can add Shaman in there as well for their totems and bloodlust. I don't know, you argument doesn't hold water to narrow it down to just the priest class. You have to change strategies based on classes so it sounds like you just need to figure out your strategy for a priest deck. Happy hacking!
Reply Quote
Lost to a combo? Better complain on the forums!
Reply Quote
Let me tell you a little story bout a man named shh.

Granted I realize I didn't have a win locked down but let me tell you why, I, hate playing priests. The set up is like this (I play hunter BTW, constructed):

I have 13 health and a full deck, the priest has 3 health and 3 cards. On my side is 3 creatures, 2 hard hitters and 1 taunt with 3 attack. On priest's side NADA, and BTW, I just killed his prophet last turn. Basically I am passing over to his turn at this point with his 8 mana crystal on play with 9 for me next. I have a King Krush as well as a few removals. I am basically thinking its GG my turn and let's get that gold. So can u see it now.... Bamm mind control minion for 1 turn card on taunt 10 health.... Bamm mind blast x2...... DEAD.

I give him props but that is some crap... The part I think isn't fair is the 4 mana for 10 health. Anyone agree?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]