Does this seem a bit overpowered?

Priests are underpowered anyway, so I think I might finally disenchant my Prophet Velen.
Reply Quote
As someone who lost to a common 27/27 turtle at turn 6, silence doesn't counter it all. When you can silence the big damage is already done....
You either draw lot of removals vs priest or they win always whit these cheap combos.
Reply Quote
02/17/2014 04:04 AMPosted by Dovrak
As someone who lost to a common 27/27 turtle at turn 6, silence doesn't counter it all. When you can silence the big damage is already done....
You either draw lot of removals vs priest or they win always whit these cheap combos.

The priest then only won because he had board control. If you had at least a 4-attack-enemy on the field, the priest could never make the turtle so strong. For example: you attack the turtle with 4 damage. The health go down from 7 health to 3. Then the priest had following solutions in Turn 6:

Mana 6 (without coin)
1 northshire cleric
2 heal it up to 5
2 divine spirit doubles health to 10
1 inner fire

Then you had a 10/10 enemy instead of a 27/27 and he got an card; not really as dangerous as an 28/28.

Lets say the priest had an awful lot of cards on his hand and he is lucky to have 2 power word: shield:

Mana 6 (without coin)
1 Power Word: Shield 5 health
1 Power Word: Shield 7 health
2 Divine Spirit doubles health to 14
1 Inner Fire

So he used an awful lot of cards for an 14/14; this means that he need at least this combination of cards on his hand. But even then an 14/14 is far easier to deal with then a 28/28. A stronger solution than a 14/14 wouldn't be possible in round 6; even if you replace in case 1 the northshire cleric with an witch doctor it only goes up to an 14/14.

Solution against inner fire when you don't have an removal: always attack the turtle or another high-health-minion, even if you can't defeat it. in worst case he gets an lower-high-health/damage-enemy and cannot kill you instantly.

So don't cry about inner fire: start thinking.
Edited by Velerion on 2/17/2014 5:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Trolololo yes it's ranked :D

http://i59.tinypic.com/29w8y6b.png

And don't give me that look he deserved that :P
Edited by rov3r on 2/17/2014 5:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2014 05:29 AMPosted by Velerion

Solution against inner fire when you don't have an removal: always attack the turtle or another high-health-minion, even if you can't defeat it.

If you don't kill the unit it's going to be healed most likely whit hero abiliy and probably whit cleric draw combo..It's actually pointless to attack an unit you can't kill against priest, so you start thinking.
Edited by Dovrak on 2/17/2014 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
This sort of play is wildly inconsistent for the priest. For every time it went of like this he has had games were he sat there with nothing to do while another player tore his face off. I had a game where I lost early game with 2x Inner fire, 2x Shadow word death, 2x Divine Spirit in my hand. He killed my Cleric, Yeti and berserker and I had a hand full of useless.
Reply Quote
Divine spirit shouldn't be stackable, problem solved.
Reply Quote

The priest then only won because he had board control. If you had at least a 4-attack-enemy on the field, the priest could never make the turtle so strong. For example: you attack the turtle with 4 damage. The health go down from 7 health to 3. Then the priest had following solutions in Turn 6:

Mana 6 (without coin)
1 northshire cleric
2 heal it up to 5
2 divine spirit doubles health to 10
1 inner fire

Then you had a 10/10 enemy instead of a 27/27 and he got an card; not really as dangerous as an 28/28.

Lets say the priest had an awful lot of cards on his hand and he is lucky to have 2 power word: shield:

Mana 6 (without coin)
1 Power Word: Shield 5 health
1 Power Word: Shield 7 health
2 Divine Spirit doubles health to 14
1 Inner Fire

So he used an awful lot of cards for an 14/14; this means that he need at least this combination of cards on his hand. But even then an 14/14 is far easier to deal with then a 28/28. A stronger solution than a 14/14 wouldn't be possible in round 6; even if you replace in case 1 the northshire cleric with an witch doctor it only goes up to an 14/14.

Solution against inner fire when you don't have an removal: always attack the turtle or another high-health-minion, even if you can't defeat it. in worst case he gets an lower-high-health/damage-enemy and cannot kill you instantly.

So don't cry about inner fire: start thinking.

Your math is wrong. Divine spirit stacks off current health

Turtle is 2/7
You damage it down to 2/3
He heals it to 2/5
1st divine spirit brings it to 2/10
2nd brings it to 2/20
Inner fire makes it a 20/20

This is also assuming he wasn't keeping a power word shield in there either that would make it a 28/28. Having board control isn't really an option either as I like to run a stormwind knight.
4 Mana for the summon of a 2/5 with charge
1 Mana for power word shield now 2/7
2 mana for divine spirit its now 2/14
2 mana for divine spirit its now 2/28
1 mana for inner fire its now 28/28

oh did I mention stormwind knight has charge?

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten these cards in my hand because of northshire cleric. Priests need to draw to get the cards they need for this setup but they have 2 cards that enable them to do so easily. Plus power word shields. My current stats at rank 10 are a 75% winrate with the priest because of super powerful 1 hit kills. Only classes I lose consistently to are warlocks and hunters because of all the taunts they tend to run.
Edited by Aldarion on 2/17/2014 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't think the same buff should be able to be applied to the same minion. I find priest combos to be the stupidest and most frustrating combos in the game. These combos can come from a lightwarden or a northshire cleric. These can be extremely difficult to kill in the first 3 rounds of the game if they come with a power word shield. Then you're stuck in a dilemna where if you attack them you make them stronger, but it could be multiple rounds before you get a single hit that's equal to 4 or 5 damage.

I've won a number of games this way and lost a number of games. In retrospect it's super cheap. I've literally beat players by spawning one minion on turn one, and then just buffing and healing it to god mode. Sure, every class has a way to kill something no matter how strong it is, but these priest combos I'm just not a fan of.

I'd like to see these cards changed.

IMO I've played a good number of GREAT hearthstone games. I've also played a number of games where one player or the other had 0 chance. I'd like to have a "chance" of winning every game.
Reply Quote
Aldarion your post is relevant but it requires 10 mana. It still is a cheap tactic. I find these games to be most frustrating when a monster comes out on turn one and always has more health than you can kill...normally 6+ health by turn 3. You try to counter it with taunts or your own minions to at least "hurt" it but you merely empower it more. By the time you can cast a 5/5 or higher taunt type creature you're basically dead or the monster is like a 10/10 beast-mode that slaughters everything you spawn.

If you cant kill these creatures immediately most games don't last passed 6 mana crystals. Which is really just sad. Some classes which are heavy silence counter these better, rouge assassinate is good at 5 mana, poly at 4 is good, hex, execute is meh as it requires it to be hurt, and so on.
Reply Quote
01/21/2014 09:22 PMPosted by roslolian

No he doesn't, I'm sorry to say this but if Priest is so OP with all these OP hero powers and OP cards and OP cleric, why aren't there a lot of Priests in ranks 1-10? A lot of the Pro HS players think Priest is undoubtedly the weakest class, do you think you're so amazing at HS you can see the Priest is OP while the people who do this game for a living just can't make it work?

The argument has a lot of holes, first of all if the Priest waits to one-shot you what the hell are you doing in that time? To one shot a guy needs 4 cards : minion on board, inner fire and 2 divine spirit. If the Priest has inner fire and 2 divine spirits on his hand that's 3 cards he's holding that's useless until he can get the combo off. In that scenario making sure the Priest has no minions on board is easy to do because he's basically top decking, he'll summon just one minion a turn hoping for an opening. But how can he get an opening if 3 of the 4 cards in his hand are needed to pull of his combo?

Most Priest complainers haven't tried ranking up while playing Priest so you think it is OP when some player makes his combo work. Try playing a deck with that Lightwell/LightWarden/Inner Fire/Divine Spirit combo and you'll find that the deck is so bad you'll win only 1-5 match you play. However, that one game where you pull of that "OP COMBO" will be against a newb player, and then he'll be the one to create a thread complaining about how Priests need nerfs.

TLDR: Don't talk about game balance until you're good enough to do so.

This x1000.

Priest only seems 'OP' to low ranked/newbie players with !@#$ty card quality that somehow can't win the game before they are one shot even though the priest has literally a handful of dead combo cards all game. You can't keep the priests board clear even though half his hand is literally unplayable? What are you playing a deck of 30 shieldbearer?

When is the last time anyone saw divine spirit or inner fire at a decent rank?
Edited by Merana on 3/10/2014 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the hole deck is for sure overpowered.
Why?
Copies a card for 1 Mana
destroys enemy minions with 5 attackpoints with cardcost at 3 Mana
inflicts 5 damage directly to the hero with cardcosts at 2 Mana....
he is able to heal himself or his minions... which is often abused to draw a lot of cards...

....heals himself, deals a lot of damage for low costs, draws thousand cards etc....

these and other effects should require a lot more mana!!!!
otherwise it is totally unfair for every other classes -.- wtf?!
Reply Quote
03/17/2014 11:12 PMPosted by Raikun
I think the hole deck is for sure overpowered.
Why?
Copies a card for 1 Mana
destroys enemy minions with 5 attackpoints with cardcost at 3 Mana
inflicts 5 damage directly to the hero with cardcosts at 2 Mana....
he is able to heal himself or his minions... which is often abused to draw a lot of cards...

....heals himself, deals a lot of damage for low costs, draws thousand cards etc....

these and other effects should require a lot more mana!!!!
otherwise it is totally unfair for every other classes -.- wtf?!

Mind Vision, the 1 mana card, is RNG based. So is Thoughtsteal and Mindgames. If they get something good, they do. If not they don't.

Shadow Word: Death (kills any minion with 5 atk+) and Shadow Word: Pain (kills any minion with 3 atk-) have one gaping flaw that alot of players forget: There are many viable minions that are 4 attack cost. Sunwalker, Yeti, Anchient Watcher. Use them to force priest to remove.

Mind Blast, the next one you mentioned, is not a card most priest in higher ranks use. I don't even run it. Not worth keeping BECAUSE it only targets hero. I'd honestly rather it target minions. Besides, if you're at 12 health against a mage on turn 8, they can fireball away at you. And don't get me started if mage has spell power or Sorcerer's Apprentice.

And why is heal + card draw a bad thing? Other classes have class specific cards to help them draw, I'm not sure why priest's Northshire Cleric is any worse.
Reply Quote
definitely agree with the statement that priest is the weakest class in the game. I ran a deck using the complained about combo and in the end it is wildly inconsistent to win matches.

Changing mana for these cards or the hero power will just mean that no one plays priest.

As mentioned the shadow word cards are easily countered by using 4 attack minions or buffing your 3 attack to 4 attack.

Priest is more limited than most lower ranking players realized. It is difficult to get anywhere past rank 10 with a priest, I having a hard time consistently getting even near it.

But I find the class fun to run.
Reply Quote
I think this combo is so prevalent because of how easy it is to see the strategy for it when new and learning this game. When I first started playing, this strategy jumped right out at me. Quickly, I learned to stop using this tactic it leaves to much to the RNG odds.

I blame some of the problem with this combo with the rush one can get from decimating an opponent with one ultra combo from a come back from behind victory. Then the rest of the time the player is chasing this high. It's an addicting drug with no longterm play in it.
Reply Quote
... Every hero has the ability to pull off a OTK. Hunters can use release the hounds in combo with the beast atk power boost cards, shamans have bloodlust, paladin have blessing of kings + wind fury minion, mages are mages and can easily combo 20+ with spells, Rogues can easily combo 20+ dmg with spells, warlocks have murlocs.

Stop complaining about something that every class can do.

Additionally the priest only has 2 inner fires... you mean to say you don't have 2 removals?
Reply Quote
The only real combo Priest can have...Yes, we have to make sure they have to clear up the board each turn, tell them that they are always one round from died.

Otherwise, priest is too week.

I run this combo, and it works OK.You do not relay on it or relay on 28/28 combo. But, have 20/20 or even 14 dmg in a round is also quite nice already. Plus, sprint and inner fire all both quite flexible card s that can have multiple use.
Reply Quote
Stormwind Knight, 4 mana for a 2/5 with charge. PW:Shield to make it a 2/7 for 1 mana. 2xDivine Spirit for a 28/28 for 2 mana each. Inner Fire 1 mana. 10 mana total. Throw in the coin for another shield and it is a 36/36.

That's off the top of my head. Not exactly a plausible combo getting to turn 10 with those cards but it is possible.

Right, well, if you only need to lose 4 or 5 games until you can finally pull off the combo and faceroll somebody with your uberness, then it's clearly OP.
Reply Quote
I agree with roslolian.

I'm running an arena run right now, and I got a terrible draft. I grabbed priest because I don't have much experience with rogue or warrior set ups ( just started, learning from Let's Plays). I managed to grab those magic cards, plus a gurubashi.

That's the problem though. Getting the conditions set up is ludicrously difficult while keeping yourself alive and maintaining board control. If anyone I play against has removal or silence ( and it's arena, so you need to assume they do), I have to bait it out so the deck is viable. Saving removal or silence for this type of move would destroy my deck.

Anything that casts silence, aggro decks, Hex, Assassinate, Polymorph, a ton of taunts, Humility, Aldor peacekeeper, Big Game hunter... All of these things ruin my deck. Carry some of em.
Reply Quote
Priest is overpowered. He copied all my deck, stolen legendary beast, killed grul with spell, copied from my deck and then stolen from me gromash (he had double gromash on board).I managed to kill beast and 1 gromash but not 2nd gromash. I dont understand why i spent so much time to aquire cards and he kills me with my legendaries using basic cards?? Legendary cards must be protected from stealing and coping. Also he had full hand of cards all the time (and i didnt allow him to draw with that 1/3 OP). 1/3 draw cards even if he heals full health minion. Is that a joke??????????????
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]