Wording on Wild Growth

I think the word on this card needs to changed, it is quite confusing to new people including myself about what the card actually does. It currently says "Gain and empty mana crystal" but that could mean anything. As stupid as this sounds, I thought that it was going to give extra mana to use that turn, I think it should say "Permanently gain a mana crystal"
Edited by GamerLCD on 8/26/2013 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
but there are cards that let you gain a full mana crystal, how would you differentiate?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
The word "empty" was supposed to be the indication that you didn't benefit from it that turn. That said, some card mechanics are best understood by playing with them in practice mode to see how they feel.
Reply Quote
What did you imagine "empty" meant?
Reply Quote
I think it is pretty clear as to what it does. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a note that lets you user know it will give you the excess mana spell if you use it at 10 mana crystals.
Reply Quote
The wording is fine. It might be a little vague, but as soon as you play it you realize what it does.
Reply Quote
I have to disagree here. I found the usage of 'empty' made it very clear on what it would do.
Reply Quote
it was clear to me too
Reply Quote
I think it needs to be a little bit more clear.
Since when you use it after you have 10 mana, you get an extra card "Excess Mana".
Which you can cast to draw a card.

To do all this, you need around 30 seconds. :P

It could just be something like.
"Gain an extra empty mana crystal, or draw a card if you already have 10 mana crystals"
But that would be too much text for a card.

So basically "Gain an extra empty mana crystal or draw a card."
Reply Quote
er no its fine
Reply Quote
Given I don't play the TCG away from this version, it is VERY confusing. I read it and saw it as a total waste of a card and wondered why it had even been invented. You spend 2 crystals and only get one. The "empty" part had not yet come into play for me. I just started trying to build a druid deck a couple of hours ago so am trying to learn it from scratch. I currently would not even bother with this card yet may have to at least once just to see what it does. Currently still see it as a waste of coding and needs to be replaced with something useful. Will see how it goes.
Reply Quote
11/29/2013 01:41 PMPosted by LadyWolf76
Given I don't play the TCG away from this version, it is VERY confusing. I read it and saw it as a total waste of a card and wondered why it had even been invented. You spend 2 crystals and only get one. The "empty" part had not yet come into play for me. I just started trying to build a druid deck a couple of hours ago so am trying to learn it from scratch. I currently would not even bother with this card yet may have to at least once just to see what it does. Currently still see it as a waste of coding and needs to be replaced with something useful. Will see how it goes.

Only use it in a ramp deck, x2 innervate and x2 wild growth.
Reply Quote
Blizzard has a lot of cards that could use better wording. For example, the "whenever ____ is healed" effects aren't very clear in telling you there is a requirement for them to be hurt for it to work. Another is "Frothing Berserker - Whenever a minion takes damage, gain +1 attack" but what it really means gain +1 attack for every 1 damage a minion takes.
Edited by Juttes on 11/29/2013 5:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/29/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Juttes
Blizzard has a lot of cards that could use better wording. For example, the "whenever ____ is healed" effects aren't very clear in telling you there is a requirement for them to be hurt for it to work. Another is "Frothing Berserker - Whenever a minion takes damage, gain +1 attack" but what it really means gain +1 attack for every 1 damage a minion takes.

As to healing: that's a one-time learning curve. Happens once and thereafter you should understand perfectly what it meant. I'm not averse to the idea of a glossary, but it's not a big issue. It'd be impossible for them to put all the text on the card without requiring cards to be twelve miles long.

As to Frothing Berserker: Uh.... no, that's not what it means at all. I could use a crazy-buffed Bloodsail Raider to deal 12 damage to kill Deathwing, and the frothing berserker would only get +2 attack afterwards. It gets 1 attack any time any minion- friendly or enemy- gets damaged. This includes by spells, by weapons, by hero powers, by minion abilities, and by other minions. What matters is how many times a minion is damaged, not for how much.

As to OP: I don't know how they could make it any clearer without specifically adding a tutorial for it or including an instructional video.
Reply Quote
The wording is quite terrible
Reply Quote
As to OP: I don't know how they could make it any clearer without specifically adding a tutorial for it or including an instructional video.

Permanently gain an additional mana crystal. If you are at 10 crystals, draw a card.
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 01:28 AMPosted by GamerLCD
I think the word on this card needs to changed, it is quite confusing to new people including myself about what the card actually does. It currently says "Gain and empty mana crystal" but that could mean anything. As stupid as this sounds, I thought that it was going to give extra mana to use that turn, I think it should say "Permanently gain a mana crystal"

1: If you have played the game, you know the resource is mana, symbolised by crystals, you start with 1 and get a new one every turn.
2: you have noticed that when you use mana, the crystal becomes empty, but it doesn't vanish, it refills every turn.
3: Gaining a mana crystal means getting one more mana crystal. Gaining an EMPTY mana crystal means gaining an empty one... Since it doesn't state that it's only for this turn or say "gain 1 MANA" or anything like it, it obviously means permanently,

The card is perfectly clear as it is, it's a comprehension issue.
Reply Quote
I just googled this to find out what it meant, so I'd argue its not obvious what the card does. Though, if you contrast it with "Gain 2 Mana Crystals this turn only" its easy to conclude that it means "gain for the rest of the game."

If it said "Permanently gain 1 empty Mana Crystal " it seems slightly confusing since a permanently empty mana crystal is rather useless :P but I would probably have figured out the actual use if it read this way.

If this were Magic: The Gathering, it would be "Gain 1 tapped land" and since land's are untapped at the beginning of each turn, the meaning is obvious. I think the issue here with hearthstone is that the mechanics are not taught as most card games are taught; you have to catch the rules during the tutorial. I think a rulebook would be a nice additionto the game.

The draw a card when at 10 mana would be hard to convey on the card text, but couldn't that go into the details when you hover over the card or right click it?

Edit: words
Edited by ButterQuark on 12/8/2013 11:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just googled this to find out what it meant, so I'd argue its not obvious what the card does. Though, if you contrast it with "Gain 2 Mana Crystals this turn only" its easy to conclude that it means "gain for the rest of the game."

If it said "Permanently gain 1 empty Mana Crystal " it seems slightly confusing since a permanently empty mana crystal is rather useless :P but I would probably have figured out the actual use if it read this way.

If this were Magic: The Gathering, it would be "Gain 1 tapped land" and since land's are untapped at the beginning of each turn, the meaning is obvious. I think the issue here with hearthstone is that the mechanics are not taught as most card games are taught; you have to catch the rules during the tutorial. I think a rulebook would be a nice additionto the game.

The draw a card when at 10 mana would be hard to convey on the card text, but couldn't that go into the details when you hover over the card or right click it?

Edit: words

At least I'm not alone. I've been playing for 2 months, but not as Druid. Drew druid in arena and had to google it. The wording on the card makes it sound like you'll regain 1 mana this turn.... but since it costs 2... it makes no sense. Really does need to be reworded imo.
Reply Quote
The wording is terrible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]