The Thrifty Warrior Deck - 11 common, 0 rare

This deck has been playing pretty well for me. I was training on no-rare decks for an Arena I was considering doing. It only has 11 common cards and the rest are free cards. Worst case, that is 440 dust, or 11 packs disenchanted, assuming you get absolutely 0 useful cards from them.
edit: If you don't know how to craft, please check my post at:
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9882709272#7

The Thrifty Warrior
2x (0) Charge
1x (0) Inner Rage*
2x (1) Execute
2x (2) Fiery War Axe
1x (2) Heroic Strike
2x (2) Slam*
2x (2) Novice Engineer
2x (3) Shield Block
1x (3) Raging Worgen*
1x (3) Tauren Warrior*
2x (3) Warsong Commander
2x (4) Arathi Weaponsmith*
2x (4) Dread Corsair*
2x (4) Kor'kron Elite
2x (5) Arcanite Reaper
2x (6) Windfury Harpy*
2x (7) Core Hound
*Indicates a Common card

The general theory is to kill as many creatures as you can with the 6 weapon sources in the deck. Keep the enemy board clear at reasonable cost. Do not use your weapons on the enemy hero unless you have a glut of them in your hand. The #1 thing to do is keep the board clear. This deck has no AoE, so being proactive is a must.

Use Kor'Kron Elite, Heroic Strike, Slam, Inner Rage*, Execute, Charge, and all weapons for removal.
*Inner Rage is good for pinging pre-Execute, but use that sparingly. You are using 2 cards to kill 1... Inner Rage's flexibility is its strength.

Only play Warsong Commander if you have a "cute" play to make that turn. Paired with another creature on the same turn, its value goes way up. For 9 mana you can play a charging Windfury Harpy. For 10 you can play a charging Corehound. Don't think of Warsong Commander as anything but a 3-mana "Charge" card which might have some other utility (but probably won't).

Try to get a feel for when to play creatures in the early game, and when to just pump your armor. Draw cards are usually worth playing. Otherwise, unless something needs immediate killing, you might just want to wait and play multiple creatures on turn 5/6 instead of one on turn 3. In general players need to learn to hold cards back more.

6 weapon sources should be overkill, but I have had some problems with the RNG... I drew all the way down to 12 cards without getting a weapon one game. Statistics says that should only happen about once in 1300 games, but... :)

Free Alternates:
The Miserly Warrior
2x (0) Charge
2x (1) Execute
2x (2) Cleave or Bluegill Warrior* (Slam)
2x (2) Fiery War Axe
2x (2) Heroic Strike* (Inner Rage)
2x (2) Novice Engineer
2x (3) Ironfur Grizzly* (Dread Corsair)
1x (3) Razorfen Hunter* (Raging Worgen)
2x (3) Shield Block
2x (3) Warsong Commander
1x (4) Sen'jin Shieldmaster* (Tauren Warrior)
2x (4) Kor'kron Elite
2x (5) Stormpike Commando* (Arathi Weaponsmith)
2x (5) Arcanite Reaper
2x (6) Lord of the Arena, Boulderfist Ogre, or Venture Co. Mercenary** (Windfury Harpy)
2x (7) Core Hound
*Indicates replacing a Common card
**It is good to have a 5 or 6 drop powerful card to add flexibility vs Core Hound.

Other decks:
The Thrifty Rogue: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9948005023
Edited by mashdar on 9/12/2013 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Very interesting I will have to try it out. Tazdingo
Reply Quote
Alternatively - what is your non-thrifty warrior deck? I.E.if you had access to all the cards?
Reply Quote
As someone that doesn't have the funds to go ham on packs, this is exactly what I was looking for. This deck is fantastic when played correctly! I have been doing great since I built it. Including a list of commons to replace uncommons people may not have is what made this so great. Doing my Warrior dailies felt like such a chore since it seemed like every match my opponent had a deck full of rares+. It became a little rough to keep up with my common and basic cards at times. Thank you for this. You are a gentleman and a scholar! This should be the outline for every deck building thread posted.
Reply Quote
Please explain to me why using weapons on the enemy Hero is a bad thing. With other characters (Paladin/Rogue), I try to use my weapons exclusively on the enemy hero to minimize the damage to me while maximizing the damage to him. Is it because with the Warrior's armor mitigates much of that?
Reply Quote
Weapons are a powerful means of controlling the board. If your goal is to kill the enemy as fast as possible, they might be well used attacking the enemy.

This deck is a control deck, and focusses on controlling the board and whittling away at the opponent. A weapon with two swings means you can use a single card to kill two cards. This is a powerful means of gaining card advantage and board advantage at the same time.

By not using your weapon when there is nothing on the field, you have increased flexibility later. You can always use the weapon on the enemy, but waiting gives you the option of taking out a minion later.

By sacrificing some hero HP, you can save your minions from costly battles and keep them on the field. This keeps the war engine running.

Example: You have 20 hp, a 3/1 weapon, a 3/3 on the board, and the opponent has a 3/3 on the board. If you trade, you will be left with 3 damage to do to the opponent and no board control. If you kill the 3/3 with your weapon, you take 3 damage, but you deal 3 damage to the enemy, have board control, and promise of future damage. The opponent must now waste cards on your minion, which is to your advantage.
Edited by mashdar on 9/6/2013 7:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Haderach
Alternatively - what is your non-thrifty warrior deck? I.E.if you had access to all the cards?
This is hard to say without playtesting decks. I have ~70 packs worth of cards, which affords me several Legendaries but not enough to make any deck I want :) I've also have fewer warrior cards than other classes.

Very tempting cards to include 1 of (replacing):
The Sterling Warrior
2x (0) Charge
1x (0) Inner Rage*
1x (1) Commanding Shout** (Corehound +)
2x (1) Execute
1x (1) Shield Slam*** (Slam*)
2x (2) Fiery War Axe
1x (2) Heroic Strike
1x (2) Slam*
2x (2) Novice Engineer
2x (3) Shield Block
1x (3) Raging Worgen*
1x (3) Tauren Warrior*
2x (3) Warsong Commander
2x (4) Arathi Weaponsmith*
2x (4) Dread Corsair*
2x (4) Kor'kron Elite
1x (5) Arcanite Reaper
2x (6) Windfury Harpy*
1x (7) Gorehowl*** (Arcanite Reaper)
1x (8) Ragnaros the Firelord**** (Core Hound)
*Indicates a Common card
**Indicates a Rare card
***Indicates an Epic card
****Indicates a Legendary card
+Replacing a Corehound with a Commanding Shout adds a lot of utility, especially if you have a harpy out. Also, most of the other changes are mana increases, so hopefully this would help keep the deck from starving.

Other tempting cards I would not start with but might mix in after testing:1x (2) Nat Pagle**** (Novice Engineer)
1x (3) Questing Adventurer* (Raging Worgen* or Tauren Warrior*)
1x (5) Captain Greenskin**** (Novice Engineer? Raging Worgen*? Tauren Warrior*? Shield Block?)
1x (5) Venture Co. Mercenary* (Raging Worgen* or Tauren Warrior*)
1x (6) Argent Commander** (Kor'kron Elite)
1x (6) The Beast**** (Corehound or Windfury Harpy*)

Comments on other cards:
  • Upgrade!** - Looks flexible, but I would bet my hat that it would hardly ever come in handy. Trash card.
  • Armorsmith** - Not a bad card, but not aggressive enough.
  • Mortal Strike** - TERRIBLE CARD. Don't get me started... Needs a 50% buff. This is the Sinister Strike of the Warrior deck.
  • Brawl*** - Better when the opponent has board control, which should never happen (hopefully).
  • Grommash Hellscream**** - Pretty lackluster for a legendary. Sure, he's big if damaged, but with the cost of 8 you'd better hope the opponent has no removal or you have a way to ping him the first turn he is out. Pinging him means he really costs two cards, and not pinging him he is just expensive. If he were a 7-drop or started with 6 attack we'd be talking.
  • Giants***: Not great. We are keeping the board pretty clear, so Sea Giant is not great. This deck has relatively little draw power, so Mountain Giant is a nightmare. Molten Giant is good if you are losing or it is a close game. I would consider Molten Giant over Corehound, but it is a risky card.
  • Big Dragons****: None are great. You can't play an 8-9 drop with Warsong Commander.
  • Sunwalker** - Decent Card, but not particularly aggressive.
  • Reckless Rocketeer - 5/2 charge for 6? It's dead to a +1 moonfire, and costs way too much. For the same price you can have an Argent Commander, and for less you can have the Kor'kron Elite.
  • Gadgetzan Auctioneer** - A good card. Average card cost in this deck is a bit high for him, though. He does much better if you are running 15+ cards under 3 mana.
  • Twilight Drake** - Not enough draw power to make it worth having in the late game.
  • Ironbeak Owl*, Spellbreaker* - Nice utility for Divine Shield, Stealth, etc. Which one to prefer depends on how your mana feels.
  • Cult Master* - A little fragile for a deck with few taunters. Could be good for trades, though.
  • Lorewalker Cho**** - Hunter weapon. (Seriously.)

Edit: I'm not sure that this deck is optimal if you have infinite card resources. Again, I have not playtested expensive Warrior decks. /shrug
Edited by mashdar on 9/6/2013 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Warrior is definitely one of the better starting, non-rare classes. Frothing Berserker, Gorehowl, and Brawl are basically the only rares+ you need to run, and the two epics aren't even 2x of.
Reply Quote
Been playing with your thrifty deck. I definitely win more now that im getting the hang of it.
Reply Quote
So....how do you beat murloc warlock decks? Dude kept spawning murlocs and by turn 4-5, he had enough +1s on his locs to take me out. Single removal wasn't helping :/
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Brakthir
So....how do you beat murloc warlock decks? Dude kept spawning murlocs and by turn 4-5, he had enough +1s on his locs to take me out. Single removal wasn't helping :/
He probably had a really good draw, and you must not have done any control (bad draw?). Even with two early Tidecallers, Murlocs can't kill you that fast unless you have no removal. And if a warlock is using his hero power, he is not playing Murlocs with that mana. (Shamans are much scarier with turn 5-8 Murloc Blood Lusts.)
You want to be mulliganing for very active early cards. Fiery War Axe in particular is a great early draw. Heroic Strike, Slam, Raging Worgen, and Tauren Warrior are good early draws. I like to keep an Arathi Weaponsmith if I get one, but that plays more into the midgame.
You don't want Charge, Warsong Commander, or anything over 4 mana in your starting hand.

Sometimes you get a bad hand. Sometimes the enemy gets an immaculate one.
Edited by mashdar on 9/10/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
(Added a link to the Thrifty Rogue Deck. More thrifty options to come.)
Reply Quote
I have been playing a similar style to this deck. Still working out the kinks and how many weapons I want. I currently have 4 in my deck but I hunk I may try six. If you end up without a weapon for a while then it can get rough.
Reply Quote
going to give this a try, i cant belive i used my free pass on arena to play with a warrior and had 0 clue wtf was going on with the game.

im having pains when warrior daily come up, even tho it was today i finished quickly because had a win vs a priest that made really bad choices and my deck (current one) is kinda decent.

still looking forward to test this build because my deck sometimes have nothing to drop on early drops and is more based on mid game than anything else
Reply Quote
Stopped reading at ''Charge''
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 02:58 PMPosted by deadbulky
Stopped reading at ''Charge''
It's a good card for flexibility and finishing. I grant you it stinks to use a deck/hand slot on it, but reactivity > having another bear in the deck.
I can't tell you how often I three-for-two with the Windfury Harpy and a Charge on turn 6.
Reply Quote
I played this deck and It was a lot of fun! I had a lot of success with it and I like the aggressive play style. Most of my wins ended with a enraged charged harpy. 10/10
Reply Quote
Did they buff or nerf any cards with the wipe? Havent played in a bit so im not sure. I was using this deck for a while and had pretty good success. I wonder if op would make any changes to it now.
Reply Quote
This strategy doesnt work so well against Mages. Would be easier to bumrush them
Reply Quote
i discovered a crazy trick with this deck

if you are lucky with your card draw, you can win the game in as little as 4 turns

turn 3: raging worgen + inner rage + charge, 12 damage right there
if he doesnt kill it, do another 12, fiery war axe, heroic strike.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]