Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

Awesome deck, I replaced some cards since Im a starter.

Also, it does pretty well against rogues, I played few games against some rogues and had no problem.
Reply Quote
update us! i'd love to continue using this deck but it's not getting the job done anymore.
Reply Quote
the deck is very good
Reply Quote
2 Blood Mage Thalnos (1)
3 Spellbender (1)
8 Pyroblast (1)
9 Alexstrasza (1)

Is Alex the 5+ spell damage? anyway these are the cards I don't have.. Unless I have Alex.. Otherwise, just wanna say, I think I have battled you.. :)

And since I may not have these cards, what other cards can replace them?
Reply Quote
I used to play this deck before, however without the legendaries. It's a very good deck however times have changed. So I was wondering stuff about:

Alexstrasza, was it made to put the battlecry on the opponent or yourself? If you're supposed to use it on yourself, it would be more convenient to use double iceblock or double icebarrier nowadays? Since they cost less and can be used in an earlier stage of the games.

Cone of cold, Isn't frost nova better? 3 mana cost and can freeze every minion. Or is the dmg still important?

Novice engineer, do we need it still?

The rest I can tell is pretty accurate and works still.
Reply Quote
YES what would you substitute in this deck if you don't have the two legendary cards?

And is this deck still good? (It's July 2014) I ask because some of these posts talk about 'nerfs' and I'm fairly new to this game.

If this deck isn't still good.... Can someone PLEASE post or link a good deck?

Thanks !
Reply Quote
05/11/2014 05:15 PMPosted by forcemajeure
update us! i'd love to continue using this deck but it's not getting the job done anymore.
Reply Quote
Hello Guys, this is the artist formerly known as Bodwin here with a quick update. I'm currently running over all the new mage configurations now that Naxxramas is rolling out, I'll post some possible lists in the coming days. Whether or not you believe its me, whatever, it'll still be a sweet list. Intro or whatever aside, this deck is now Nerfed!!! As I earlier expected, many of the great cards in the first iterations of control-based mage were far too good, as evidenced by the nerfing of the following cards previously played: Pyroblast, Blizzard, Dalaran Mage, Novice Engineer, and Cone of Cold.
More soon™
Reply Quote
08/26/2013 03:10 PMPosted by bodwin
Hi, I'm bodwin, long time tcg competitive player here to show you guys what it takes to be a good mage, starting with my decklist.

Qualifications: Grandmaster at arena on my 3rd runthrough, ranked master, insane win rate(despite mmr system), 8 years magic: the gathering experience.

This deck has been through about 100 games piloted by myself with a very high win rate (I would estimate around 85%).

note that it has a very high skill cap, but a low skill floor that allows for room for mental growth

1 Mirror Image
1 Mana Wurm (2)
1 Arcane Missiles (2)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
2 Blood Mage Thalnos (1)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice (1)
3 Cone of Cold (2)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
2 Frostbolt (2)
3 Spellbender (1)
3 Counterspell (1)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (2)
5 Blizzard (2)
5 Azure Drake (2)
7 Flamestrike (1)
8 Pyroblast (1)
9 Alexstrasza (1)
If anyone has any questions about playstyle/moves you can comment below. I can also offer my opinions here on why certain cards and plays are good/bad or synergistic.

Also feel free to visit and watch my stream at twitch.tv/bodwin_hearthstone for play tips and the like.

I don"t have bloodmage, or alex or tony... I like to use secrets.. of those I don't have spellbender, or iceblock.. The rest I do along with 1 kirin tor, and 2 etheral... and only 1 vaporize... And I hate using cone of cold

I just lost 10 games (not in a row) been playing off and on all day.. I need a new deck build.. But I am struggling with what to use now...

okay, I just tried a variation of your deck.. minus the cards I don't have or don't like.. :)

I added acidic swamp ooze, iron beak owl, mirror entity x2, counterspell x1, duplicate x 2

I won, of course.. LOL
Edited by Cerulean on 8/1/2014 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 04:32 PMPosted by bodwin
After a long hiatus I will be updating my deck shortly. Stay tuned.

Waiting for it patiently!! :D
Reply Quote
To Bodwin, I copied your cards exactly as you said. I won the first game and than lost all the rest. The way I played before, was using Taunt stacking that up. That worked ok but not good enough. Anyway, do you have any suggestions? I appreciate your time. Thank you!
Edited by Erinn on 8/10/2014 12:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To Erinn.

I guess you must be unlucky :(
I've played close to 80 games and won about 65 of them with this deck :)

Then again harth is a lot to do with RNG
Reply Quote
looking forward to your update,,, im getting slammed with 4 legendary naxx cards by turn 6...
Reply Quote
My first 4 games with this deck were agains wars and locks.. im so lucky. Anyway i somehow managed to win against one of the wars, the deck looks pretty cool.Waiting for update
Reply Quote
i like it ;)
Reply Quote
Currently on a 4-0 Streak ;)
Reply Quote
i know im being a total noob but i cant find Mana Wurm, any suggestions?
Reply Quote
Try Mana Wyrm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]