Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

I weigh the option of "how much can they hit me for" vs "how much can I deal next turn". It is a fine line but once you get the rhythm down, it becomes second nature. Optimally, anything that hits more than one creature should be saved until at least 2 are on the board. Until then, use single target stuff. Exceptions would be using things like Cone of Cold to keep a large beater at bay for one more turn. Also, don't underestimate your Fireblast. Using it has made the difference in many games for me. Most times I clear the board, beat my opponent down with my little minions and then finish them with one or two spells. The Fireblasts along the way help make that much easier. I also do not expect to win until at least turn 8. It is not a fast deck and I spend many a turn at the early stages doing little to nothing. Patience is the key.
Reply Quote
Hey! Cool deck. Im currently trying to copy it, since my deck sucks major balls. But do you have any tips to get alot of dust, if i'm not thrilled to spend money on packs?
Reply Quote
Dude your deck Is amazing, I had a lot of trouble trying to think how would it work before playing it ( I have a bunch of legendary creatures), and turns out my win ratio went up higher with your deck.

I usually win by turn 9-12
diamond 3 star
Edited by iMushroom on 9/25/2013 2:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
All fine but the "pint sized summoner" doesnt make sense for me since you dont have many high cost minions anyways.
Edited by KikosLive on 9/25/2013 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/25/2013 07:19 AMPosted by KikosLive
All fine but the "pint sized summoner" doesnt make sense for me since you dont have many high cost minions anyways.

I would imagine it'd be to either draw fire (which it likely will) or make it easier to pump out your SP creatures and engineers so you can have board dominance with minimal cost or drop a lot of SP cards like your Geomancers in a single turn that rail it home with some hard spells like Fireball, Pyroblast, and Frostbolt.
Reply Quote
By the way, I'm not even two-thirds done with the deck and already I'm seeing huge results. 10/10 deck, haven't lost a match since I started using it!
Reply Quote
I just ran a hybrid of this deck (sub cards I don't have) and I've done fairly well. It's really about patience and proper control of the board. Good deck!
Reply Quote
I'm missing alot of those cards...
but I made some replacements, like Bloodmage Thalnos and Pint-Sized Summoner with two Sorcerer's Apprentices... and pyroblast with another flamestrike.. and the second cone of cold with a frost nova, the second azure drake with a ogre magi, mirror entity with a sunfury protector..

it's practically an entirely different deck n.n
I hope it's effective
Reply Quote
09/23/2013 12:29 PMPosted by Tiber
http://s1.directupload.net/images/130923/b9j6q35o.png

Jeez Tiber, how'd you get all those gold cards??? Gotta admit I'm quite jealous of you for being able to pocket those.

Anyways, I noticed you ran Mana Wyrms and no Blizzards. I'm quite terrible at handling opponents if I don't have Blizzard in my deck. Could you share why you don't run Blizz and prefer a hot target like Mana Wyrm?
Reply Quote
Having a VERY hard time winning with this deck in masters 2.
Reply Quote
Sorry for Letting the thread die friends(I stopped checking and figured nobody had read my post)! Update: alive and well post-wipe. I have made significant changes to my main mage deck in light of the new updates. First I would like to talk about the changes to mage and how they affect the deck.

Update: still grandmaster in arena, made it on my first try post-wipe (also mage btw)

Frostbolt is now insane
Sorcerer's apprentice is now an auto include
arcane explosion is much worse with all of the new higher toughness creature meta
(also makes cone of cold less good)
spellbender and counterspell are now very good

the new deck is as follows

1 Mana Wyrm (2)
1 Arcane Missiles(2)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice(2)
2 Bloodmage Thalnos(1)
2 Frostbolt(2)
2 Novice Engineer(2)
2 Kobold Geomancer(2)
3 Dalaran Mage(1)
3 Cone of cold(1)
3 Arcane Intellect(2)
3 Spellbender(1)
3 Counterspell(1)
4 Polymorph(2)
4 Fireball(2)
4 Ogre Magi(1)
4 Ancient mage(1)
5 Azure Drake(2)
5 Blizzard(1)
7 Flamestrike(1)
8 Pyroblast(1)

This is still a very much fluctuating list but I feel it is well balanced for the meta. At the same time I'm still putting alot of thought into its optimization. I will check this thread often and reply to any comments and questions you may have. GL and HF
Reply Quote
Hi bodwin. Can you add me in game i dont know how to. Its my first time playing a card game I really need some help . They are owning me lol.
Reply Quote
can say ive played the deck minus thanos into master 2. In my experience have had some issues with priest but outside of that with good draws beats most decks.
Edited by FGVega on 10/19/2013 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't see how you guys are winning with this deck. I'm playing at 2 star plat and I have only won 1 game out of 5. I'm playing the same way I did with the first Bodwin deck, controlling board and waiting, but I don't seem to be getting the options to push out minions as fast as those I'm playing. Also, I seem to be barely losing, by either a card or two in some instances. In most cases, I'm just getting minion rushed without having any of my control cards (blizzard, etc) in hand...Any ideas?

Is there a draw issue that has cropped up recently? Because I seem to just be getting crappy hands most of the time...Confused.
Edited by Jerdubya on 10/19/2013 7:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Probably the biggest issue you're facing is the fact that you're trying to push out minions as fast as they are. That's not really the direction the deck is intended to do. Early game its fine to put out some threats i.e. wyrm or sorc apprentice even if you know they will die because often time they will absorb damage for you while trading even in card advantage. If you're having trouble against decks that like to race with creatures Here are some cards you can substitute in; arcane explosion, cone of cold, water elemental can help you stabilize greatly.
The problem you've stated is a real one not to be ignored, often time though its better to just sit back and let board clear do the work. If you're really having trouble you could even go up to two flamestrike, but other than that it probably relies on playstyle. Like I said in my post yesterday, the deck has to be played a different way than the first, with the biggest change being the lack of early game pressure the dalaran mage brings now. While I feel frostbolt improvements pick up the slack, it means waiting an average of 1-2 turns more now to stabilize against most decks. Just practice more and try out the changes - let me know how it goes.

I don't see how you guys are winning with this deck. I'm playing at 2 star plat and I have only won 1 game out of 5. I'm playing the same way I did with the first Bodwin deck, controlling board and waiting, but I don't seem to be getting the options to push out minions as fast as those I'm playing. Also, I seem to be barely losing, by either a card or two in some instances. In most cases, I'm just getting minion rushed without having any of my control cards (blizzard, etc) in hand...Any ideas?

Is there a draw issue that has cropped up recently? Because I seem to just be getting crappy hands most of the time...Confused.
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 03:05 AMPosted by Kirsten
Hi bodwin. Can you add me in game i dont know how to. Its my first time playing a card game I really need some help . They are owning me lol.

Sure! added

10/19/2013 06:13 AMPosted by FGVega
can say ive played the deck minus thanos into master 2. In my experience have had some issues with priest but outside of that with good draws beats most decks.

Priest along with a good druid can be challenging classes to beat, you probably already know from experience that what makes them good are their numerous cards with built in healing abilities(not to mention countering hero powers to yours). When playing against these classes in specific I have some simple tips: you really have to make an effort to either hold all your burn to the end, or use it 1-for-1 value on their creatures. Unlike other classes i.e. hunter where you can safely fireball them directly for value in the late game in anticipation of other burn to finish them off, you really need to hold onto it against these healing-heavy classes so as to not force a change in their playstyle.

tldr: hold on to your burn vs healing classes because you don't want them to prioritize healing, where they will out-trade you in card advantage in almost every situation.
Reply Quote
Some things I've noticed since my last post. I'm still struggling to keep damage off of my hero while clearing the board. Here are a few things I'm not sure about. Are you using specific spell cards (pyro or fireball) for direct hero damage or can any spells be used to maintain board control? I'm sometimes unsure when I should use a frostbolt which could be why I can't keep the board clear. I've also noticed that blizzard rarely turns up in my hand. I'm going to switch to two flamestrikes and see what happens. Also, what do you think about using Antonidas in this deck?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]