Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

Yours or mine? If it was mine, for the extra spell damage and maybe I had the spells I needed.

If it was yours, because I felt in control or bad decision making.
Reply Quote
ive got a similar deck, however I have found Ragnaros to be a great adition to it. 10 mana for 9+ direct dmg if the board is clear and ragnaros as a huge threath.
Reply Quote
Why do i keep counting 29 cards?
Reply Quote
Bodwin, which decklist is latest one you are playing ? Is the one on page 2 up to date ?

br
Edited by Grax on 10/27/2013 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/26/2013 02:28 AMPosted by Cynical
I have found Ragnaros to be a great adition to it. 10 mana for 9+ direc

Tried ragnaros, too risky for me, susceptible to mind control/ RNG and has no immediate impact. Still a strong card, especially if you run frost nova.

10/27/2013 07:59 AMPosted by Taktek
Why do i keep counting 29 cards?

Because I had forgotten to list the 1 copy of sorcerer's apprentice when i updated it - thanks.

Bodwin, which decklist is latest one you are playing ? Is the one on page 2 up to date ?

br
The one on page 1 is up to date, edited today, page 2 was me trying to figure out the new meta(its not as good against priests and the like)
Reply Quote
That is definitely a very nice deck! I have been winning a lot with my current deck but I will definitely have to try yours out sometime. I can summarize it in case anyone wants to give it a try as well.
Basically you want to have these key cards:
2x sorcers apprentiece
2xmana addicts
2xmana wyrm
2x frostbolt
2x fireball
2x pyroblast
2x iceblock
1x antionidas

6-8x cheap spells for antionidas
2x azure drake
2xgadgetzan auctineer
*x fill up the rest with spell power/drawpower minions of choice

This deck is strong both early and late game but the key to making deck like this work is draw power.also if you go second always save your 0 card because when you get to round 7, you can get at least 1 extra fireball from antionidas. The reason this deck is so powerful is because there is no way that the opnent can finish you off(because of ice blocks) and there is no way they can defend against your pyroblast(unless they have some massive heals).
Reply Quote
quick question.. just started playing and i'm not exactly too sure on how you actually get some of those cards. is it from just lvling up or do you need to attempt to have some luck and get them from a pack? So far I have had the most success from my mage deck and would really like to build one similar to yours.
Reply Quote
quick note regarding your edited list:

Frostbolt is 2 mana, not 3 and a minor typo on the (#) for Alexstrasza
Reply Quote
Liking the updated list Bodwin!

Not sure how I feel about Alex but the rest looks great.

EDIT: Suggestion, replace Antonidas with a 2nd pyro

EDIT#2: Some of you knowing me, I like to test. (add me and ill test ur deck)

So I tried my 2nd pyro replacement for Ant with good results, I feel 2 pyros is a bit stronger in this deck than him. Try for urself
Edited by Dizzy on 10/28/2013 9:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 08:58 PMPosted by kriget
quick question.. just started playing and i'm not exactly too sure on how you actually get some of those cards. is it from just lvling up or do you need to attempt to have some luck and get them from a pack? So far I have had the most success from my mage deck and would really like to build one similar to yours.

If the card has a little symbol in the middle, white-blue-purple-orage, you get it in the packs, otherwise its through leveling up, you get all the level up cards for each class once you hit lvl 10.

Still working on getting enough dust/unlocks so I can test out antonidas, I still don't think he has enough of an immediate impact to be optimal, especially considering the weaker midgame you'll have since you're forced into playing high secret count decks and low cost cards that are otherwise less useful.
Reply Quote
I just got my Beta key this past week. I fumbled around with a lot of different decks after I'd unlocked all the classes and worked on getting them all to 10 for the card unlocks (except rogue and paladin).

I kept coming back to the Mage deck and stumbled upon this post. I bought a few card packs and have almost all the cards now minus a few that I've had to substitute for.

When you all talk about playing in "Platinum" "Gold" and other places where are you doing this? The Arena? And if so how do you keep your set deck since it only let's you pick from the classes it offers and the cards it offers.

Thanks in advance. I've played a lot of MtG:DotPW since it came out in 2009 and am enjoying this game a lot.
Edited by Kaean on 10/28/2013 10:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dizzy and bodwin I sent you friend requests tonight so I can try out my deck when you guys are online.

Thanks!

Kaean
Reply Quote
I just got my Beta key this past week. I fumbled around with a lot of different decks after I'd unlocked all the classes and worked on getting them all to 10 for the card unlocks (except rogue and paladin).

I kept coming back to the Mage deck and stumbled upon this post. I bought a few card packs and have almost all the cards now minus a few that I've had to substitute for.

When you all talk about playing in "Platinum" "Gold" and other places where are you doing this? The Arena? And if so how do you keep your set deck since it only let's you pick from the classes it offers and the cards it offers.

Thanks in advance. I've played a lot of MtG:DotPW since it came out in 2009 and am enjoying this game a lot.

in normal battles, before searching you can tick a box in the top right corner to play ranked games.
Reply Quote
Thank you. I'm at One Star Copper. So a long ways to go :)

I was playing without that checked for quite awhile.
Edited by Kaean on 10/29/2013 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How come you replaced the Ogre/Dal Mage with Cone of Cold and Mirror Image exactly?

According to page 2. Just curious, you have a nice deck.
Edited by Enxius on 10/29/2013 10:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Question about a Rogue I played today.

We played quite a few turns, him taking small pot shots and me gathering cards.

He next played a questing adventurer, which I didn't counter that play. The next play he played a card I did not look at closely, then another questing adventurer.

I was at 12 health and he was at 16 when this happened and it showed he only had one mana crystal left, but he played a Novice Engineer, which allowed him of course to draw, but then he did something that extracted the Novice Engineer and he replayed it... multiple times ending with 12 attack on his questing adventurer and he took me out.

What happened? Or was it a bug?

**** Plus if anyone wants to add me Kaean#1993 to play some games let me know. ****
Reply Quote
Question about a Rogue I played today.

We played quite a few turns, him taking small pot shots and me gathering cards.

He next played a questing adventurer, which I didn't counter that play. The next play he played a card I did not look at closely, then another questing adventurer.

I was at 12 health and he was at 16 when this happened and it showed he only had one mana crystal left, but he played a Novice Engineer, which allowed him of course to draw, but then he did something that extracted the Novice Engineer and he replayed it... multiple times ending with 12 attack on his questing adventurer and he took me out.

What happened? Or was it a bug?

**** Plus if anyone wants to add me Kaean#1993 to play some games let me know. ****

Probably shadowstep, it returns a card to your hand (for no cost) and makes it cost 2 less if you play it again. in this case, for free.

Anyway, I've done a cheap version of this deck and I'm currently at maybe 85-90 % win, just reached masters 1 without any troubles at all.
2 Arcane missiles (1)
2 Mana Wyrm (1)
2 Frostbolt (2)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice engineer (2)
1 Pint-sized Summoner (2)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice (2)
2 Arcane intelligence (3)
1 Cone of Cold (3)
1 Mirror Entity (3)
1 Dalaran Mage (3)
2 Fireball (4)
2 Polymorph (4)
1 Ogre Magi (4)
1 Spellbreaker (4)
1 Gnomish Inventor (4)
2 Blizzard (5)
1 Azure Drake (5)
1 Flamestrike (7)
1 Pyroblast (8)

I skipped Antonidas (Can't afford him right now), and with no Antonidas I felt like counterspell wasn't as compelling with no big creature to protect. Thinking of dropping the Pint-Sized for some more stat-heavy 2 drop or frost nova / Ice barrier for more durability. Thoughts?
Same strategy, try to make at least 1-1 trades early, 2-1 if possible. Stack up on some heavy hitting cards in your hand (fireball, Pyro), try to deal with big creatures by either chaining blizzards / CoC or a polymorph, and fireball only if no other option is available. Try to keep some creatures on board (especially spellpower minions) before using spells, or combo them if possible, for example a Kobold + Blizzard combo either wipes the board completely or disables the whole board for another turn.
Blizzard is also perfect against creatures such as Gurubashi berserker, since if they want to silence out of freeze they lose the buff, so they either have to wait til next turn or do nothing at all.
I also grabbed a spellbreaker as a counter not only againsts priests removal but for buff-heavy decks with some decent mid-game board control.
What are your biggests concerns when playing a deck like this? Personally I think Hunters can be really tough with their pressure through steady shot and constant board control and me not drawing correct cards.
Generally speaking, I think this deck is way above average, almost nerf-worthy. It just feels like I can counter anything, as long as I draw cards somewhat correctly.
Edited by Stentuff on 10/29/2013 3:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Pretty good decklist, I made it with a few tweaks as Ive only had beta for a week and don't have any legendaries and only 1 cone of cold, so i put in 2 mirror images and a 2nd pyro. Went 40-8 with it so far and got 3 star master from bronze. The biggest advantage to this in my opinion is that there are really no good targets for mind control, and if they are playing a ramp deck your mana wyrm and 2/2 guys will crush them before they can get into a good position, but by then you have enough control in your hand to freeze them till pyro.
Edited by PiE on 10/29/2013 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 03:04 PMPosted by PiE
Pretty good decklist, I made it with a few tweaks as Ive only had beta for a week and don't have any legendaries and only 1 cone of cold, so i put in 2 mirror images and a 2nd pyro. Went 40-8 with it so far and got 3 star master from bronze. The biggest advantage to this in my opinion is that there are really no good targets for mind control, and if they are playing a ramp deck your mana wyrm and 2/2 guys will crush them before they can get into a good position, but by then you have enough control in your hand to freeze them till pyro.

Same here, I really don't have any troubles with priests just because most creatures are 4 attack (no SWP / SWD) and Mind Control really wont be such a big deal with such mass removal this deck has.
Reply Quote
Now that I'm in Platinum 2 - Having more troubles with good decks against me. Probably only about 50% wins now, where I was over 75% down in Gold. I realize the players are better as well as their decks now, but I'm losing to some strange decks.

With the random shuffle there are times you won't get what you need I suppose. Still like this deck though.

::: EDIT :::

One thing I enjoy about this deck is how you can substitute just a couple of cards for cards you do not have or if you want to gear it a bit more toward your play style.

I went a bit more toward stentuff's deck and won three in a row!
Edited by Kaean on 10/29/2013 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]