Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

Now that I'm in Platinum 2 - Having more troubles with good decks against me. Probably only about 50% wins now, where I was over 75% down in Gold. I realize the players are better as well as their decks now, but I'm losing to some strange decks.

With the random shuffle there are times you won't get what you need I suppose. Still like this deck though.

::: EDIT :::

One thing I enjoy about this deck is how you can substitute just a couple of cards for cards you do not have or if you want to gear it a bit more toward your play style.

I went a bit more toward stentuff's deck and won three in a row!

I'm glad you liked it!
Reply Quote
Could it be possible to get some tips on which cards to keep/change at the start of the game?

Also if some cards are (not) worth keeping if I start with the coin.
Reply Quote
I tried out Archmage Antonidas in this deck and I have to say it is not worth it. In order to play him lategame you'd have to use a secret or even both secrets in worst case scenarios, and if you don't get a spell off the same turn you drop him (as you probably won't anyway since you've used your low-cost spells to boardclear) he's quite useless.

Even when I got off the combo where I'd have like 5 fireballs in my hand it wasn't even worth it then, it's just straight out better to have an extra spell to finish him off lategame, and with alexstrazsa + pyro he'll be at 5 hp anyways, and you don't need 5 fireballs to deal 5 damage (unless u have some kind of anti-malygos).

Anyways, thanks for sharing this amazing deck Bodwin, it helped me get 3-star master in under 60 wins from 3star diamond, with a winrate of 80-85%.
Reply Quote
For the people that play this deck, if you start second and you get mirror image + mana wyrm lvl 1.
This is pretty self-explanatory but still: drop the Wyrm > Coin > Mirror Image, and you'll have yourself a 3/3 1 drop + 2 0/2 taunts protecting it on turn 1, which in my opinion is pretty damn broken.
Reply Quote
09/20/2013 03:04 AMPosted by Crimson
I decided to try out your deck, but after playing for a little while and not getting too far, I decided to make a few changes, which helped me go from bronze to platinum 2 in a few hours (with breaks). I haven't been playing much, so I'm staying at plat 2 for now.

Cool deck. I used it as inspiration and swapped a few cards I didn't have. Got to 3* plat and still going strong.
Reply Quote
Could it be possible to get some tips on which cards to keep/change at the start of the game?

Also if some cards are (not) worth keeping if I start with the coin.

This takes some time to develop, specifically you have to play alot to realize which cards are relatively better, and relatively worse against specific classes compared to their average importance. For example, I would almost never keep a blizzard in my opening hand against a priest because its aoe usage is not very good against their creatures, and its easy to heal up. Whereas with the same hand, I would keep a blizzard against hunter since it is one of the best cards to stave off a rush strategy and kill their small creatures all at once.

In general however, you want to keep most cards with a cost of 3 or less, and ditch cards 4 or greater cost unless they're extra good against the class you're playing against. As an aside, be careful keeping low cost creatures against warrior and priest, as they both have efficient ways of dealing with them in battle axe and shadow word:pain
Reply Quote
Do you mind if if I add bodwin you so we can play some? I'm Diamond 3* atm and will soon be master
Reply Quote
I'd personally like to inquire about Ice Lance. I've only started playing a couple of days ago so don't have all the cards you have listed I have just started testing Ice Lance and it's certainly very powerful when you can manage to get a combo going. Although this won't be possible all the time, considering you have to draw the game to at least mid-stage if not late to be able to over-run with this sort of Mage deck, then you have more than enough time to either build up a combo, or at worst use the Ice Lance's to freeze (and a 1 cost freeze whilst not efficient is also quite useful).

I've also found it extremely hard to sustain long enough in a game without enough taunt minions, and 1x Mirror Image will surely not provide enough defence early. Although you're supposed to clear the field of their minions, it's not always possible to do this the first turn after they've played them, which could cause huge issues with hard-hitting minions.

Curious on your thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
Just hit Platinum ★★★ and wanted to ask for some advice on my deck list. Here it is:

1 Mana Wyrm [2]
1 Arcance Missiles [2]
2 Blood Mage Thalnos [1]
2 Frost Bolt [2]
2 Novice Engineer [2]
2 Kobold Geomancer [2]
2 Arcance Explosions [2]
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice [2]
3 Arcance Intellect [2]
3 Dalaran Mage [1]
3 Cone of Cold [2]
4 Fireball [2]
4 Polymorph [2]
5 Azure Drake [2]
5 Bilzzard [2]
7 Archmage Antonidas [1]
8 Pyroblast [1]

From my experience, I'd say it's easier to clear the board from threats than to balance your utility minion and taunters out. You'll eventually get the hang of it. You just have to get an understanding of when to take damage and allow the opponent to pile some minions up so you can trade well.

On Ice Lance, the burst can be insane, yeah. Dropping a spellpower minion, a Frost Bolt and two Ice Lances to the dome can be utterly devestating. Thing is, you need all three cards to do that. Ice Lance is kind of unreliable, as it doesn't do much on its own. It's clunky. It might result in some blow out victories (experienced these as well), but it's still clunky. Stuffing the deck with cards that are good on their own will get you further than these mini-combos, from my experience.
Reply Quote
Alexstrasza seems to be a waste 90% of the time.

It's there for Paladins,right ?
Edited by PainKiller on 11/1/2013 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd personally like to inquire about Ice Lance. I've only started playing a couple of days ago so don't have all the cards you have listed I have just started testing Ice Lance and it's certainly very powerful when you can manage to get a combo going. Although this won't be possible all the time, considering you have to draw the game to at least mid-stage if not late to be able to over-run with this sort of Mage deck, then you have more than enough time to either build up a combo, or at worst use the Ice Lance's to freeze (and a 1 cost freeze whilst not efficient is also quite useful).

I've also found it extremely hard to sustain long enough in a game without enough taunt minions, and 1x Mirror Image will surely not provide enough defence early. Although you're supposed to clear the field of their minions, it's not always possible to do this the first turn after they've played them, which could cause huge issues with hard-hitting minions.

It's kind of funny how well the mage based decks actually play like mages in WoW.

That being said, I"ve only been playing since I got my invite Tuesday and I'm Plat 2 star with a deck smiliar to this.

Don't try to overrun in a single turn or two. The longer you hold off on getting your damage out, the worse your situation gets. Late game mage decks seem to have a hard time doing much when you've used all of your draw acceleration.
Reply Quote
Hi all, been playing for a about a week now and was given the mage to play first (same for everyone or random?) and kept with it. Found this thread whilst looking for a good deck and have most of the cards but obviously still missing a few.

It's definitely quality as I win more than I lose and looking forward to getting enough dust/luck to fill out the rest of the deck.

I've sent friend requests to a few of you as it would be interesting to see how a more experienced player uses it. Funnily enough I drew someone who had pretty much the same deck yesterday which resulted in hilarity as we both controlled and smote each others minions to pieces such that I ended up losing to empty-deck damage (not sure of the official term).
Reply Quote
I'm loving this deck, I'm doing phenomenal with it in Diamond 1.
Reply Quote
Alexstrasza seems to be a waste 90% of the time.

It's there for Paladins,right ?

I stand by what I said earlier, I have done tons of testing and a 2nd pyro works much better in place of Alex.
Reply Quote
I say take out Alexstrasza and put one Flamestrike in,it has saved me lots of times,especially combined with wild pyromancer.
Reply Quote
Why no Gagetstan Auctioneer?
"On spell cast, draw a card"
Reply Quote
Stuck on Platinum Star 2 - I am winning about 50-60% but have been on this forever. Probably 20 wins or so at this level.

Do I take a step back with losses?
Reply Quote
Hi guys,

I´m also playing with Stentuff´s deck since I can not afford the legendaries in yours Bodwin, yet.
I seem to hit a wall at 1 Star Master now. My wins have been around 80% and they dropped to 50% now. Shaman is my toughest challenge and I´m wondering if you could help me with some advice?
Reply Quote
another question is what do you guys do against the UtH Hunter one shot stuff? I know it´s coming but have no taunt in Stentuffs (or Bodwins) deck so I wonder how you handle UtH?
Reply Quote
I used this deck as base deck and it is f***ing awesome!!

44 games Diamond 2 only 2 Losses LOL
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]